The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I'm in the club!

I'm finally in the club, but I've done it old school style. Yep, film.

Mamiya 645 1000s, 45 2.8, 80 1.9, 150 3.5 and 210 4.0, WL finder and AE prism.

Now I'm going to have to remember how to shoot again :-D

Already went thru 1 roll for tri-x and half way thru my second!

Looking forward to swiching up this and my Nikon system for personal work.

What's a decent non bank breaking scanner?

mathomas

I've just done it old school style, too, but with a Fujica GW690III (fixed 90mm lens). Will take a few days to get here, but I'm excited to try my first MF shooting in 35+ years (last "big" film I shot was in a Kodak Tourist folding camera in the early 70s (620)).

Best of luck to you...

PS - I also have the scanner problem. I only have a 35mm film scanner, and no room for yet another scanner. Guess I'll be developing at home and scanning at the shop for now.

Y

yossarians22

Depends on what you mean by non bank breaking and decent. I believe the Nikons that pop up on ebay for 700-1000 don't scan MF. There are Imacon scanners though that are pretty good and sell for 2k.

Professional

Depends on what you mean by non bank breaking and decent. I believe the Nikons that pop up on ebay for 700-1000 don't scan MF. There are Imacon scanners though that are pretty good and sell for 2k.
Where are those Imacon scanners that are around $2000? I am ready to pay even $3000-5000 for a drum scanner if i can find[for MF up to 6x9, if 4x5 it will be a bonus but not necessary].

djonesii

Workshop Member
just a gateway ..... GAS is a horrible thing

Ah it's a slippery slope ...

GA645 Nice fixed lens autofocus
GZ645 Nice Zoom
Bronica 645 Good rangefinder

Mamiya 645 AFDII + ZD back

I can stop any time I want, I just don't want too :ROTFL:

Dave

Mozbee

What's a decent non bank breaking scanner?
You don't need a Epson 750. You can go with a 500 or a recently arrived 600. 700 and 750 are only if you want to do LF, 750 with wet mount setup. If you buy a 500 with a good software, you will reach the quality of the 700 and save money. The difference among those Epson scanners would be minimal for MF. My friend uses the 4490 and he's producing amazing results. He saw a difference by upgrading the software.

Before getting into the Hassy/Imacon range, there's the Nikon CS9000 that is the best available scanner for 35mm and MF (no LF), which is 2800-3000 CAD new, probably few hundred bucks higher than USD. That's pretty much the three price ranges for MF... Epson, Nikon or Hassy. The quality increases from one category to another, not within the same category according to my experiences. Hassy being an obvious bank breaker!

I'm going to try the V600 scanner and see how it goes.

Dave, talk about slippery slope... I'm thinking I'd like an RB 67 and Hassy 500 as well. Ugh.