The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

MF digital newbies, so what have you learned

David Schneider

Bryan,

Having be a sports photographer for 5-7 years and now primarily in the studio, I think if you're doing mainly sports and action, mf is a questionable choice. Focus is slower, lenses shorter, dof narrower, there is no fps - instead spf, high iso not available, no zoom lens comparable to basic 70-200 dslr workhorse, no lens stablization, and things you take for granted with dslr are not there.

However, the quality of any of those mf cameras will blow away any Nikon or Canon, as long as ISO is not on the higher side, but that's still best seen in larger prints or groups. S2 probably handles most like a dlsr, but at a high price and limited lens options.

Bryan Stephens

Workshop Member
David

Thank you for the response, but I guess I did not explain that my reason for getting back into the MF scene is primarilly for landscapes as well as portraiture.

I will continue with my Nikon system for my sports and action photography as I attempted to do some shots with my Hasselblad 503cw with marginal results at best. When I was lucky enough to capture the exact moment, the images were spectacular, but I would lose more "moments" during an event than I liked.

I have been concentrating on landscapes again, and I can see that my images from my 35mm system are lacking in comparison to what I was able to achieve with my former Hasselblad. I really want to get into the MFD arena and am just so confused by the choices out there. Since I am most familiar with the Hasselblad system I thought that would be a good choice, but have read so much about the PhaseOne system and the Leica S2.

Thanks again

Bryan

David Schneider

Bryan,

I'm no expert on landscape. Obviously, mf choices are often made based on the thickness of your wallet. Leica will thin your wallet more than others. If you feel you'll need long shutter speeds, as in minutes, check that out carefully.

If I have any suggestions it's to have money available and ready in case you find an exceptional deal on some carefully used gear and to do your homework.

Bryan Stephens

Workshop Member
David

Point taken. I have been demo-ing the H4 and Phase One for the past couple of days, and plan on doing the same with the Leica S2.

I know that I need deep pockets to go down any of these roads, which is not much different than my original journey into MF some 18 years ago. It is all relative I know, but I am excited about the journey and the many possibilities that lie ahead.

Bryan