The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasslblad V CFV 39

fotografz

Confusion here. The Leaf AFI II 7 rotates internally. The Leaf Aptus II does not, except for the 10R model. Sorry for the complication.
I admit it, I am confused about Leaf products.

Is the Leaf AFi II 7 camera/back an available product? If so, are the AF lenses available for it?

If available for purchase, this would be a fantastic kit. The AFi camera is state of the art ... and with an internally rotating 33 meg sensor would make a terrific choice for those that prefer a waist level finder ... while still offering a prism finder.

Can an AFi II 7 digital back with rotating sensor be used on a tech camera? Or a RZ camera?

-Marc

Geoff

The AFI situation is not immediately simple to understand - but it works simply once you slug through it:

There are two things - the camera body and the backs. The camera, originally called the Hy6 and made by Rollei, was available with three minor variations - and different names on its front - Rollei, SInar and Leaf AFI. They are basically the same.

First, the Rollei Hy6 camera and lenses are still available through DHW; the Sinar one may be available as well through Sinar. I don't believe they are availalble from Leaf. They are however essentially compatible with the Leaf AFI camera system.

AF lenses are still available from DHW - from stock. To my knowledge, they aren't making new ones, but there are still some on hand (nice pricing too).

The backs for the camera system (all 3 named versions) are two - the Sinar versions and the Leaf. The basic things, such as lenses and finders work readily on all three versions.As to film - DHW is planning to introduce a 6x6 film back for the camera (the 645 version has been avail) and that works on all versions.

Digital backs are a bit more intricate: the Leaf backs for the AFI/Hy6 family are called AFI backs, and are not generally available new (to my knowledge). There are still some backs around - in the used or almost new condition, and perhaps some in the pipeline are available. Keep in mind that there were several Leaf backs made for the camera - a 5, 6, 7, 10, and a II 7, and II 10 (which were the rotating backs). All will work. Sinar backs can also be considered.

Use of the AFI back on view cameras - the following has been stated:
"There are adapter plates for Cambo, Mamiya RZ, any 4x5 inch with Graflok, and Alpa.
Most of the view camera manufacturers made adapters for the AFi backs or they still have some stock left: Arca Swiss, ALPA, Silvestri, Cambo, Linhof, KaptureGroup and MerginX.

The only medium format camera that the Afi backs can be mounted onto are the Mamiya RZ (with a Leaf-made adapter) and AFi/ Hy6. It cannot be mounted on Hasselblad and/ or Bronica cameras."

The idea that your Leaf AFI back could just go right on an Alpa is an attractive (but expensive) path as well....

There may be another path to using the AFI/Hy6 backs via Sinar adapters, as they have their own line of adapters, and may provide more alternatives. I've no knowledge of how that works.

Finally - the relationship of a Leaf AFI back to a Rollei Hy6 (leaving the Sinar out of the discussion, but I believe it is the same as the Rollei): The Leaf AFI backs physically mount and function fine on Leaf versions of the Hy6 cameras (called Leaf AFI cameras). They will also fit and work on the Rollei Hy6 version of the camera just fine (and probably also the Sinar version, but I haven't done that). All these cameras are physically the same. The lenses are totally compatible across the entire platform, as are all accessories. The changes between the camera bodies (between the Rollei, Leaf and Sinar versions ) are very minor - two that I know of - the nameplate and the battery used in the camera. This is a minor detail, but might matter for some. There are different ways to power the back - either through just the one battery in the camera, or with a second battery on the back (for longer life).

The Rollei Hy6 (and I believe the Sinar too) typically takes a different battery in its handle than the Leaf AFI. If you are planning on using a Leaf back, the easiest and most flexible answer is to have the Hy6 use the same Leaf battery in the camera, so that you only need to take one kind of battery with you. Its not the end of the world if this is not the case - but it is better and simpler.

The Leaf AFI already was modified originally in that way. Fear not - DHW will physically modify the Rollei Hy6 version (which they will sell you) of the camera to accept the Leaf battery and at that point, the Rollei Hy6 is like a Leaf AFI. WIthout that, they integrate and work just fine, but then you would need to deal with two battery types. Not earthshattering, but worth noting.

The Leaf version of the camera (Leaf AFI) is not generally available new. So then if you are interested in the system - find a back first. If you find a Leaf back, then get a camera from DHW (modified for the Leaf type battery). Many lenses (AF too) can be gotten new from them, or in the open market second hand. Then you are good to go.

Hope this helps and sorry for the lengthy answer.

Geoff

fotografz

Thanks much for the detailed explanation. No detail is to great.

I once had a Leaf Aptus 7s on a Mamiya AFD-II ... a digital back I loved, on a camera with lenses that I hated for the work I do. The Forum Member that bought it proves that it wasn't the gear as much as the application. ;)

I did test the Leaf AFi in hopes of an upgrade, but Leaf was stubborn about taking my Aptus 75s in trade for an AFi, and the Aptus back could not be upgraded to an AFi mount. At the time, there was no rotation type mount with the AFi 7 back on the AFi camera, and no rotating sensor solution either.

It appears many of those issues were addressed, but unfortunately to late for any interest on my part. Then it all went south with the Rollie situation ... a true shame IMHO.

Thanks again for the update ... love the history of these special camera systems.

-Marc

Uaiomex

Yair:
Any chance that Leaf would ever make an R version of the Aptus II 7 for the V's? (without increasing price much, he he).
That would be awsome and another slap on Hasselblad's face!
Eduardo

Scroll down a bit on that page and you'll see that the Aptus-II 7 for V series camera I currenty offered at €9,995.

The back can be mounted onto the back of the body in either vertical or horizontal position. The Aptus-II 10R, in V mount indeed allows you to rotate the sensor inside the back.

Leigh

Re: Hasslblad V CFV 39 is awesome

...I would prefer to buy from a dealer in Europe for service and warranty reasons.
I hear the CFV 39 is good but cannot be rotated...
Hi,

I bought a CFV-39 about three months ago, and I love it. The results are absolutely awesome. I'm using it on a 555ELD body and it's fully integrated, with no external cabling issues.

You will need to buy from a local(?) dealer. The Hasselblad warranty specifies that all factory service must go through the dealer from whom you purchased the equipment.

It's true that the CFV-39 cannot be rotated relative to the camera body, but the camera and back together can certainly be rotated on the tripod. Works just fine.

Good shooting!

- Leigh

neil

I have had a Hasselblad V CFV39 for around six months and am getting on really well with it. I use it on a 553ELX, 503cx and a 203fe and all works without any external cables. I really like using the 30mm Fisheye lens and then using the Phocus Lens Profiles to correct the distortions. Lens profiles are available for most of the v lens and work very well.

For the past couple of months I have been using the Hasselblad CFV39 on a Mamiya RZ pro 2. The only cable needed is a wake up cable for the digital back. The digital back can be rotated on the Mamiya RZ pro 2.

The second hand price of Mamiya RZ equipment is so low these days. I picked up most of the Mamiya RZ lens at a 90% discount to retail. Ten lens cost me the same as one of my Hasselblad V lens. I cannot believe the value/performance price ratio for these Mamiya RZ lens.

Regards

Neil