The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

*** H4D-40 or H4D-50 ***

KETCH ROSSI

Has been a while, he he, but here we are again at a time of needing to buy a MF camera system to serve both my on location and some studio Portrait work, as well as a camera to travel Globally to get my Gallery material, for my PhotoPainting material ready.

Soo..

I see that I missed a great Launch special on the new Hassy H4D, but I also see that there is a small special till the 31th with a 30% discount on one lens, which obviously would be the 35-90 as I considered a perfect one lens do it all for my purpose.

Now the real question comes in as if I should go for the 40 or the 50:lecture:

So as usual when it comes to MF, I really see no better place then GetDPI, as it is here that I was first introduced to MF, and become an other gear Slot of this family, and since RED has decided to wait till some time next year to make the Epic 645, and the two Epic-X I'm receiving are with a S35 Sensor, I simply need a MF camera now.

Okay guys don't be shy, I know you are not any ways, I came to love how much of gear slots you guys are here, and I'm not making any names, GUY..:ROTFL:

kipling

if your main lens is the 35-90 an you're doing studio and location work, i don't see any advantage with the h4d50 over the 40.

if my main lens were the hc100mm, then i'd want the largest sensor format (h4d60) so as not to induce a crop factor.

if hi iso is important, then the h4d40...but if i remember correctly you use flash, so it's probably not.

imo the h4d40 and the p40+ are the best bang for your buck (proven, tested, used, rentable and available) products that mf users have ever been offered.

my decision would be based on the camera and lenses and software more than the back...the backs are all tremendous, but the cameras, lenses and software are very different systems – they feel, look, handle and work differently and that has a direct impact on how you take photos.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I agree. Go HD40 for great file and best bang for buck, or go HD60 if you want the biggest/best file possible.

KETCH ROSSI

if your main lens is the 35-90 an you're doing studio and location work, i don't see any advantage with the h4d50 over the 40.

if my main lens were the hc100mm, then i'd want the largest sensor format (h4d60) so as not to induce a crop factor.

if hi iso is important, then the h4d40...but if i remember correctly you use flash, so it's probably not.

imo the h4d40 and the p40+ are the best bang for your buck (proven, tested, used, rentable and available) products that mf users have ever been offered.

my decision would be based on the camera and lenses and software more than the back...the backs are all tremendous, but the cameras, lenses and software are very different systems – they feel, look, handle and work differently and that has a direct impact on how you take photos.
He he, yes good memory, I do use Flash even on location, but now most of the times I will have to travel real light so not sure as of yet what Flash combinations will I be able to carry with me.

For some extreme CityScapes and Extreme LandScapes I will use a GigaPan Epic Pro system to do GigaPixel Steached Panoramas, for which I will use the 1D IV, as I don't know yet if I can use the H4D, but there will be just too many times were I ill not be able to and need the largest file possible, especially for very High quality Large prints of Portraits.

I agree. Go HD40 for great file and best bang for buck, or go HD60 if you want the biggest/best file possible.

Yes I do need the largest file, but also as others pointed out there is just way too big of a jump to the H4D-60 in $$$ were it simply does not make it a good buy when compared to the H4D-40 and or H4D-50.

I read Marc been extremely happy with available lighting and his H4D-40 even at Weddings, and that should say something about the work achieved by Hasselblad in making the H4D-40 so manageable and great to use for such Hand held situations, wondering if the H4D-50 is on the same prospect, besides the only difference I see which is the ISO.

aldo

but I also see that there is a small special till the 31th with a 30% discount on one lens, which obviously would be the 35-90 as I considered a perfect one lens do it all for my purpose.
I bought the H4D-40 with 35-90mm for $19,995 (35-90mm for only $2,000)

Here's the promotion

There's also a promotion of the H4D-50 + any lens for free...

Good Luck!

KETCH ROSSI

I bought the H4D-40 with 35-90mm for $19,995 (35-90mm for only $2,000)

Here's the promotion

There's also a promotion of the H4D-50 + any lens for free...

Good Luck!

Yes I have seen the offer, but are they still on?

B&H no longer offers it.

I have couple of offerings of Used but literally new H4D-40 and H4D-50, and I see that there is one for sale in this forum as well.

aldo

Yes I have seen the offer, but are they still on?

B&H no longer offers it.

I have couple of offerings of Used but literally new H4D-40 and H4D-50, and I see that there is one for sale in this forum as well.
I never saw that promotion on B&H or adorama, I was going to buy it through a retailer, but I went directly to a hasselblad dealer (To demo the H4D), and believe me, it's the best you could do... their support is awesome, and I think this promotion is directly with hasselblad.

I bought mine from www.houseofvictor.com (John Shipes, great guy)... but I guess there's a dealer in California... somebody here could point you to one...

EDIT: I just saw "Promotions are valid from May 11th - June 30th, 2010" ... you should talk to a dealer anyway, they could offer you a deal or something...

Last edited:

KETCH ROSSI

I never saw that promotion on B&H or adorama, I was going to buy it through a retailer, but I went directly to a hasselblad dealer (To demo the H4D), and believe me, it's the best you could do... their support is awesome, and I think this promotion is directly with hasselblad.

I bought mine from www.houseofvictor.com (John Shipes, great guy)... but I guess there's a dealer in California... somebody here could point you to one...
Thanks for the tip, will contact them.

KETCH ROSSI

Well, I guess I'm now considering the H4D 60 as well, since if I buy a used H3D 39 I can trade it in for a discount, making even the H4D 60 an option..

One more way to spend money :D

Quentin_Bargate

I recall the difference in price between the H4D-50 and H4D-60 in the UK is around £9,000. That a lot of cash for 10mp difference, plus you then have vignetting issues with the 60.

KETCH ROSSI

I recall the difference in price between the H4D-50 and H4D-60 in the UK is around £9,000. That a lot of cash for 10mp difference, plus you then have vignetting issues with the 60.
Here in the US there is $11,000 increments form H4D40 to 50 and to 60, but there are still some possibilities in various Promotions, so looking to hear back form few dealers I contacted and see what happens, and once I know more specific about each system then I will be able to make a better decision.

Vignetting is not really an issue for me as I usually don't go below 35mm, and I know that the vignetting only occurred with he 28mm, I have not heard any one saying vignetting with the 35-90mm at 35mm.

jlm

Workshop Member
trading any 39mp camera will make the H4D-60 cost $19k, trading a 16mpx, cost will be $24k
when trading any 16-39mpx toward the H4D-40, cost will be $15K;
toward the 50k, cost will be $16.6k
trading any 16-39 mpx toward the 50MS, cost will be $22.5k

decipher that logic, then mix in the lens discount when buying outright...

KETCH ROSSI

Yes I have seen the Trade in Program listed at Hasselblad, but more so I'm interested in finding out what Promotions are still in play as far as Lenses, like the 35-90 deal and such.

Even so the decision I have to make will be more based on specs and capabilities, I sure like to see what each system will end up costing me.

David K

Workshop Member
decipher that logic, then mix in the lens discount when buying outright...
If you can do that with these various promotions you're a better man than me. Some of the promotions I've seen don't even seem internally consistent. :wtf:

Scott Tansey

I was at Samys today in California. I saw the Hasselblad representative, and the promotion with the zoom lens is still available.

KETCH ROSSI

Thanks for confirming this,

I called earlier and the guy that answered the phone had no clue.

I'll try again tomorrow and try to see if any one form the Pro department can confirm the promotions.

I sure would have loved the one with the 35-90, a one lens do it al for me really, besides the 28 and 100 with the TS system for extreme Architecture and Landscape steaching.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
If I would be in this situation, I would go for the H4D40 plus the zoom lens - which is a HCD lens thus not offering the whole image area of the 60 back.

I would not buy the H4D50 anymore, as in the case I needed the full image area I would go for the H4D60. But then consider that the HCD lens only gives you a slight crop of the full image, so other HC lenses would be needed.

Still happy with my H3D39 though :thumbs:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
It's a tough call for sure. At flat new entry pricing, the 60MP back does not make a lot of sense over the 40 IMHO. If you have a 39 back, it's a no-brainer to upgrade to the 60 assuming you want to upgrade to begin with. It sounds like if you buy a used 39MP back and trade up, you can get in for about $10K over the new 40MP back, not too shabby either if you want/need 60MP.

OTOH, the reality is the 40MP backs are very sweet. In my particular case (this is with Phase), I didn't really *need* 60MP. I wanted the newer sensor, was considering selling my P45+ and buying the 40 outright when I got a trade-up offer from my P45+ to the 60. It was an offer "I couldn't refuse" and the rest was history. Even though I really didn't need 60MP, I can comfortably say I enjoy it (a lot!), and would not trade down to the 40 right now for $10,000 cash in my pocket...

FWIW,

Quentin_Bargate

For me the H4D-50 hit the sweet spot in terms of price and performance. I cross-upgraded trading in a Mamiya ZD camera that Hasselblad were willing, after some hesitation and thought, to treat as a MF back. Even then the first quote I received used the wrong discount pricing and had to be revised (to my detriment, unfortunately). It seemed to me that dealers are unsure about the right discounts and have to check with head office to work it all out. I was and remain very happy with the H4D-50 when it eventually arrived. Great product, somewhat opaque upgrade pricing.