The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

*** H4D-40 or H4D-50 ***

Professional

I am happy with H4D-60 even i don't need it, i was even happy with my H3DII-39 but i was after upgrading sooner or later which i did already and no regret or never look back.

thomas

re the HCD zoom: my reading is only at the wide end the lens will be cropped, no? too, it does cover the whole image area of the H60 sensor but Hasselblad decided to crop it slightly because they feel corner/edge performance is not really good enough. However you can use the whole image circle (i.e. deactivate the cropping in the software) if you'd like to.
Is this correct?

as to the H50: indeed a difficult position between the H40 and H60.
Unless you want the multishot version...

fotografz

Calling all gear sluts. There is money to be spent ... gear sluts don't care who's money it is ... LET'S SPEND IT!

Without a doubt, the best NEW kit Hassey deal is the H4D/40 with 35-90 (if still available). Even though I got a great deal on my H4D/40 when it was first offered, this promo deal is even better ... IF the 35-90 is the lens you want. Keep in mind that the 35-90 cannot be used on the HTS/1.5 adapter. In lieu of the 35-90, I took a "custom" deal on the HTS/1.5 which I have more use for stitching and studio table top.

I'd check current delivery time for the H4D/60 trade deal before getting all sweaty about it.:ROTFL: There were a lot of people who signed up for that trade-up promo last year, so it's likely that pipe-line has to be filled before new trades are honored (bet it's a 6 month+ wait). I signed up early for the trade promo to the 60, but ended up just selling my H3D-II/39 and buying the H4D-40 because I wanted the H4 AF features for this year's wedding business. I then also secured a certified used CF/39 Multi-Shot for studio detail work and back-up for the 40. Total cost for a 2 camera system with new HTS/1.5 Adapter ended up lower than the 60 alone even with the trade promo/lens deal.

The H4D/50 is no slouch, it still has the newer sensor technology over the 39 backs, plus all the new performance benefits of the H4. So it isn't just 11 meg more over the H3D/H3D-II/39 kits. I'd eventually like to get a H4D/50 Multi-Shot in place of the 39 ... if business ever recovers enough to warrant it. A 1.1X crop factor is pretty minuscule when working with these rarified meg counts.

The Hassey 60 is a Kodak sensor the same as the 40 and 50. The Phase One P65+ is different ... it is a Dalsa sensor ... which gave Jack a different look and feeling over his previous P45+ Kodak sensor back.

So, were I you, I would also seriously consult with one of the Phase One dealers here to explore features, performance for your applications, pricing and promo options in comparison to the Hasselblad kit ... keeping in mind that ALL reps are pretty biased toward selling you something they represent ... but you already knew that ;)

-Marc

fotografz

are you sure?? I thought it's a Dalsa (no "sensor plus" chip but still a Dalsa...)
Oops, my boo-boo ... not enough coffee yet to think straight. You are right and I am wrong. It's the 40 and 50 that are Kodak sensors. Sorry.

-Marc

jerome

Hello,

I ordered a H4D60, an upgrade from my H3D31. But, as it was too long to deliver, I ended with the H4D50.

I tested also the H4D60. The 60 is wonderful, really, but not available lol.

The main difference between the 31 and 50 is the size of the sensor, and the viewfinder. For landscape, wow ! The 50 is wonderful, but you have to work with a tripod ! Nominal iso is 50 and long exposure is 30 seconds.

So, here is my conclusion, as 31 and 40 have the same size of sensor : the H4D40 is certainly a more versatile camera : faster, smaller file size, smaller sensor, you can do photos hand held, less noise at higher iso.

The D50 is lovely for landscape or still life, take your time and shoot. Quality is wonderful (better than the 31, especially for landscape where details counts).

So if you just look through the viewfinder, you'll understand the differences : larger, brighter viewfinder for the D50.

So, it's all about what you want to shoot.

hcubell

I have to test my 28 more on the 60mm, i will deactivate that cropping from 60mp on the software and see.
Tareq:
I have not seen you comment on the LCD on your H4D-60. My understanding is that it was supposed to be a major upgrade over the LCD on the H3D, H4D-40 and H4D-50 cameras.

Professional

Tareq:
I have not seen you comment on the LCD on your H4D-60. My understanding is that it was supposed to be a major upgrade over the LCD on the H3D, H4D-40 and H4D-50 cameras.
Honestly saying, yes, it is an improvement over my H3DII-39 definitely, but i can't tell comparing to H4D-40/50, i am happy with it now and better resolution, but still i don't give that LCD much care about my results, i may try to check the LCD of 40 and 50 later on the dealer store to see, i will go to him either tomorrow Sunday or Monday and see.

WOW, the weather here is almost 48-50C outdoor, how can i shoot in that hot weather then, and i am not interested to go out at night for nightshots, and still hot at night too.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Oops, my boo-boo ... not enough coffee yet to think straight. You are right and I am wrong. It's the 40 and 50 that are Kodak sensors. Sorry.

-Marc
Then I'd definitely go for the 60. (Sorry Marc, couldn't resist! :ROTFL:)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I'm extremely happy with the 40+ Phase back. And the HD40 sounds like a sweet deal. ONLY reason I would jump to the P65+ or a H60 is to lose the crop in the viewfinder. ONLY reason otherwise these 40 sing a really nice dance song. Now i need to setup to shoot it here in a few minutes.:D

IM A GEAR SLUT

Quentin_Bargate

Tareq:
My understanding was that the H4D series all had upgraded LCD's over the H3D series.

KETCH ROSSI

Hey guys, thanks for the chats, great advises!

Well, Steve sent me a message, still no word form the Hassy guys, and since I already had purchase..and sold, a Phase One system with them at Capture INtegration, I fill pretty comfortable, in exploring the P65+ as well as The Leaf Aptus II 10 + DF body & LS lenses.

So this time I will surely be more careful and picky about my final choice and not rushed as I did the first time around, I will be spending 50k on a system so I better do it right!

The reason I look to go with the biggest sensor is because of the Gallery Prints I will need off this photos, and the absolute largest amount of detail needed to work with when PhotoPainting some of the Shots.

The H4D 40 is surely a sweet deal, but I have no idea if the promotion with the 35-90 is still what it was, nor do I know yet what my option is with the H4D 50 and H4D 60, since no one has gotten back to me form Hasselblad:(

But I would definitely want the 35-90 but still get the 28m and 100 to use with the TS.

On the other hand, I'm at this point looking forward to see what Steve has to offer, and I already know form before that both P65+ and Leaf Aptus II 10, have lots to offer with the new DF body and LS lenses, so will try to get them all in my hands for few days and shoot away.

I n some situations I sure could use the best ISO performance, but in general I will be using Flash, and powerful ones at that, looking in to either Broncolor or Profoto Battery Power Packs, and for some really extreme situations I have the 1D IV with the Epic-Pro Gipan to allow for some mega steaching.

Thanks again guys for the participation..its a true pleasure been back home in this house of Gear Slots!!:ROTFL:

thomas

... I will be spending 50k on a system so I better do it right! ...
I'd look much more into usability and accessories… as the H4D60, P65+ and Aputs II 10 and the lenses are certainly all great.

random thoughts:
- AFAIK there is a vertical grip for the DF camera on the horizon. No vertical grip for Hasselbald.
- the LCD of the P65+ totally sucks. The LCDs of the Aptus II 10 and the H60 are supposed to be better
- Leaf has some very nice operations/features on the back; accessable on the back's LCD
- Hasselblad offers a waist level finder
- Hasselblad offers the HTS
- the DF features focal plane and leaf shutters
- if you plan to add a tech camera anytime Phase and Leaf are much easier to handle (no need for an external power source)
- I'd consider the recompose AF feature of Hasselblad a very, very strong feature
- the H60 is brand new… probably it has to develop first (i.e. firmware updates adressing certain issue are likely to follow … as it was the case with the P65+ in the beginng)
- is the H60 already available in quantities? Maybe you have to wait quite a while to get one
- software integration with Hasselblad is much better (automated, EXIF driven lens corrections); too, the lens correction WRT distortion is more sophisticated in Phocus (distortion correction in C1 is quite rudimentary whilst CA, purple fringing and color cast corrections work very, very good)
- C1 is much better equipped, faster and fully customizable. Of course C1 also supports the Leaf Aptus II
- the Leaf has a 3:2 image format... that might meet your needs or not...
- there's a large range of glass that can be used on the Mamiya (via adaptor)

just my 2 cents ...

KETCH ROSSI

He he I would say a lot more then just 2 cents Tom, those are lots of dollars worth much appreciated toughs:thumbs:

All of the points made are exactly what I have been analyzing form each camera, were I put the P65+ & Aptus II 10 on the same category for the DF system and Lenses, just looking at the main features and capabilities offered buy their individual backs, were with the H4D I'm looking on comparing the various features of the System it self and not only the back.

The TS system on the H4D is surely something I would love to explore and learn, as I use TS lenses and love the look and capacity to acquire images that are impossible to get otherwise, and the Canon 24L TS II Kicks A%$@, so I have been researching a way to have the TS on the DF system and have not found a valuable solution yet, unless I purchase an additional Tech system to put the back in to it, but I don't like to have to buy an other set of lenses, and some times I need to travel only with one back pack, so size and weight will matter here.

MOst of the time I will travel to locations by way of driving and carry all my Profoto Battery Packs and Flash heads, but when traveling light I will only have my back pack and will look for extended time of exposure so a Back with the longest exposure times could serve me better here.

I look to discuss each need with each specialized dealer to choose the proper System, and try them out to better understand not only the system it self but also their individual strength and weaknesses applied to my intend use.

thomas

I use TS lenses and love the look and capacity to acquire images that are impossible to get otherwise, and the Canon 24L TS II Kicks A%$@, so I have been researching a way to have the TS on the DF system and have not found a valuable solution yet, unless I purchase an additional Tech system to put the back in to it, but I don't like to have to buy an other set of lenses
but with the HTS the 28mm translates to a ~45mm lens. This is not exactly what you get with your 24mm on the Canon.
Maybe it's worth to consider one of these super small tech camera bodies like the Cambo WD compact: http://www.cambo.com/Html/products_photo/set01/english/internet/Item866.html
or even the WRS that is also quite small and of course handholdable: http://www.cambo.com/Html/products_photo/set01/english/internet/Item6819.html ...
... in conjunction with a Digitar 35XL in a Tilt/Swing lens panel*
The Alpa TC is even smaller but doesn't provide T/S for such wide angles.
So, yes, additional gear. But quite slim and light...

* hmh, not sure if there is a TS panel for the 35XL. But there is one for the Rodenstock HR Digaron-S 35mm ...

KETCH ROSSI

Yes there is the only down side on the Hassy TS, can't understand why they had to make it with a 1.5 EX. but still workable, as I can still stitch various shots together.

Yeah the issue with buying in to yet one more system with Tech cameras is that I will have yet and other entire set of lenses and want to avoid that.

My bag, has only space for one more body and four more lenses.

Also I never used a Tech camera before and will have to learn yet an other system, not sure I wish to do that either.

But I have to think very carefully the system I choose, also based on the fact that while Portrait has surely a great portion of what I do, CityScapes traveling Italy up and down will be the main focus of this system shooting anything form narrow streets scene to wide Plazas and Cathedrals.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Yes there is the only down side on the Hassy TS, can't understand why they had to make it with a 1.5 EX. but still workable, as I can still stitch various shots together.
Combining frames taken with the lens tilted is easier in theory than it is to do in actual practice...