The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How best to configure a camera for Phase one P65+

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
You know of course I don't want to hear this! Here I've gone and said I really don't need/want the P65 and I have to hear this!:D
I'm going to call BS on this, only cause I know you :ROTFL:

We all know you WANT one. Whether you need it or not is another discussion! And getting it actually pretty easy, just do what Ken and I did... Call Dave and tell him to use the CC number on file. Then just give up your steak, wine and martinis, and eat Cheetos and drink Keystone for a few months.

:D,

Don Libby

I'm going to call BS on this, only cause I know you :ROTFL:

We all know you WANT one. Whether you need it or not is another discussion! And getting it actually pretty easy, just do what Ken and I did... Call Dave and tell him to use the CC number on file. Then just give up your steak, wine and martinis, and eat Cheetos and drink Keystone for a few months.

:D,
Okay maybe partial BS. :D I was close to upgrading till I added the M9 which I felt I needed more. I've got a very good combination of gear right now and will reevaluate the need of the P65 early next year - of course Sandy keeps telling me she gets the next camera which in all likelihood will be the 1DsIV.

Just so you know, I'm sitting in the Tal-Wi-Wi Lodge in Alpine where I've been for the past couple days. The M9 and Cambo/P45+ are both getting a workout and I'm continually pleased with the results I'm getting from each; which makes it an even harder decision for me. While I know the P65 is several steps beyond the P45+ I'm still in that comfort zone (or maybe it's the honeymoon stage) where I like what it gives me so long as I do my part right. We'll be spending October in Jackson Hole shooting fall colors so I'll see where I'm at when we return.

Cheetos and Keystone? How 'bout peanut butter & jelly and cold duck? :wtf:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Peanut butter or jelly.
:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

While I know the P65 is several steps beyond the P45+ I'm still in that comfort zone (or maybe it's the honeymoon stage) where I like what it gives me so long as I do my part right. [/FONT]
It's not "several steps" IMHO, rather a short half-step on detail and another half-step on color rendition.

You are very definitely not under-gunned with your P45+! Plus you can have Ken's P65+ when he upgrades to the P90+ in February... I am still coughing from my original P65+ purchase so I won't likely be upgrading mine for a few years at least.

kdphotography

:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:
Plus you can have Ken's P65+ when he upgrades to the P90+ in February...
I can actually honestly say that the P65+ is more than adequate for everything that I shoot 80% of the time; the Canon picks up the rest.

But for a landscape shooter, I just don't think the quest for more and more ever stops....

So that just means I'll be there as an enabler for Don when that P90+ comes out.... :angel: :D

ken

p.s. C'mon Don---you have that nice Cambo RS with Schneider/Rodenstock lenses...everyone knows you can't possibly take advantage of those lenses without an adequate back.... :ROTFL:

eleanorbrown

You are kidding about a p90 right? The p65 is all I would ever need and more...especially since have been shooting with my m9 the last few months. I can't imagine needing more pixels than the 65! Eleanor

I can actually honestly say that the P65+ is more than adequate for everything that I shoot 80% of the time; the Canon picks up the rest.

But for a landscape shooter, I just don't think the quest for more and more ever stops....

So that just means I'll be there as an enabler for Don when that P90+ comes out.... :angel: :D

ken

p.s. C'mon Don---you have that nice Cambo RS with Schneider/Rodenstock lenses...everyone knows you can't possibly take advantage of those lenses without an adequate back.... :ROTFL:

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I am still coughing from my original P65+ purchase so I won't likely be upgrading mine for a few years at least.
Something makes me want to copy and save this little gem - not that I would have reason to quote it in the near future, but you never know! ;)

Professional

ken

You are kidding about a p90 right? The p65 is all I would ever need and more...especially since have been shooting with my m9 the last few months. I can't imagine needing more pixels than the 65! Eleanor
I have feeling that later in the future, you both will dump or replace that P65+ for larger [or buy and keep P65+], could be 80, 90,100 who knows, and when hearing someone saying he doesn't need any more pixels is just a joke or just to show he is not a pixel peeper or so, but then wen he upgrading even he still saying that 40-60mp is overkill then he should not talk at all and let others who are keep and still using 20-40mp now and later to talk about more mp is unnecessary.
So if one of you or both don't need more mp, why you go with P65+ then, doesn't that P30+, P45+, P40+ enough for you?

Professional

Something makes me want to copy and save this little gem - not that I would have reason to quote it in the near future, but you never know! ;)
DO IT, those folks upgrading in no time, and you will see, if not next year then after next year, it never ends, believe me.

kdphotography

I have feeling that later in the future, you both will dump or replace that P65+ for larger [or buy and keep P65+], could be 80, 90,100 who knows, and when hearing someone saying he doesn't need any more pixels is just a joke or just to show he is not a pixel peeper or so, but then wen he upgrading even he still saying that 40-60mp is overkill then he should not talk at all and let others who are keep and still using 20-40mp now and later to talk about more mp is unnecessary.
So if one of you or both don't need more mp, why you go with P65+ then, doesn't that P30+, P45+, P40+ enough for you?
For those of us currently enrolled in Guy's 12 step program in the Gear Slut support group, you're certainly not helping....

:LOL:

eleanorbrown

Why in the world would I need more pixels than the 65+....??? The Leica M9 has helped me put things into perspective image quality wise. I have never printed huge anyway....24" X 30 or so is max for me. Mostly 16X24 or less. I have felt a sense of freedom with the mere 18mg pixels M9 which has made the huge pixel count 65+ look excessive. No I don't need any more pixels :) eleanor

jecxz

Eleanor is correct. I do not need any more than 39mp; I'm selling 40x50 prints without up-sizing. In fact, my 120 film prints are being reordered nearly every month in sizes ranging from 27x36 to 40x50 and I do not do any up-sizing whatsoever. It's not pixel count that matters, it's what you do with them; and for me, it's cash in the bank. Be well and have a good weekend.

Kind regards,
Derek Jecxz
http://www.jecxz.com

Why in the world would I need more pixels than the 65+....??? The Leica M9 has helped me put things into perspective image quality wise. I have never printed huge anyway....24" X 30 or so is max for me. Mostly 16X24 or less. I have felt a sense of freedom with the mere 18mg pixels M9 which has made the huge pixel count 65+ look excessive. No I don't need any more pixels :) eleanor

hcubell

Eleanor is correct. I do not need any more than 39mp; I'm selling 40x50 prints without up-sizing. In fact, my 120 film prints are being reordered nearly every month in sizes ranging from 27x36 to 40x50 and I do not do any up-sizing whatsoever. It's not pixel count that matters, it's what you do with them; and for me, it's cash in the bank. Be well and have a good weekend.

Kind regards,
Derek Jecxz
http://www.jecxz.com
I agree completely about more pixels for the sake of more pixels. However, what if that new 90mp back also had a gorgeous 3"-4" high resolution LCD with Live View?

Don Libby

My major problem (or issue) with going with the P65 is that I'd be paying for some features I don't need nor would I use since I only shoot with the Cambo WRS; it would be a totally different issue if I still had my Phase AFD and assorted lenses.

Not sure that Ken will upgrade to next however I do know where he keeps the spare house key :D

I certainly hope we answered the orginal question on this thread :angel:

Professional

Great, we will see when those MF brands will hit the markets with something 80-???mp, i hope i will not be here to see and hear people noveling about how awesome those new MFDBs are comparing to old one [P65+, H4D-50/60, LEAF 56,.....etc].
Just i feel that 22-30mp were enough, but then if people go with 39/40/50/60 making it confusing why they upgrade if 20-30mp are enough.

Don Libby

Tareq

More megapixels isn't the only reason some people upgrade. I went from a perfectly good P30+ to a P45+ for the simple reason that the P30+ isn't suitable for a technical camera. There are others who made the upgrade to either the P40 or P65 for the added technical benefits both offer such as pixel binning.

For some of us its just the case of getting a newer/better tool.

Don

S

Shelby Lewis

Ok... I've figured it out... how about all you guys send me your gear and I'll test all the varying permutations and get back to the OP in a year or so with the answers.

I SWEAR you'll get your gear back... SWEAR!

:D:D:D

jecxz

I can see that being a factor for some, but not for me. I made photographs with a film back for years before going digital--no LCD then.

Kind regards,
Derek

I agree completely about more pixels for the sake of more pixels. However, what if that new 90mp back also had a gorgeous 3"-4" high resolution LCD with Live View?

Don Libby

The last thing on my "to do", "got to have list" is the LCD. I use the screen on the P45+ to mainly check for highlights and more often than not the histogram. I agree it could be a bit larger but I wouldn't rush out to change it just for a larger screen. I feel the sensor is much more important aspect than the screen. Think back to film, there wasn't a screen to see what we did then and we got by okay. Sometimes I feel we've become too dependant on technology rather than skill.

As always just my 2¢

Don

eleanorbrown

I second derek and don. I use the screen for highlights and histogram. I've never been bothered by the phase one screens....I was also a long time film user in a past life. Eleanor