The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hassy Extension tubes vs. 120mm macro

I'm interested in doing some beauty shots with my medium format. I was wondering if anyone has experience with both the 120mm macro and using extension tubes on either the 150mm or the 80mm. Focusing distance isn't AS much an issue as sharpness. So keep in mind I won't be shooting little bugs on leaves or anything. But I want SHARP!

Thank You,
Eric

KETCH ROSSI

Extension tubes, no matter of the system and or lenses which they are used with, provide for a closer focus possibility and allowing for Macro shots with lenses which would otherwise not allow to get as close to the subject photographed, and since they do not have Glass, but only provide for a distance range form the Lens element to the sensor, sharpness will be achieved as if tit wasn't there at all.
Only issue is that the Focus needs to be much better controlled, as depending on how many you use, if stacking, and the aperture you are shooting with, the focus line will be very thin.

Jeffg53

The 120 is very sharp to the point where it is not well regarded as a portrait lense. It's also heavier and harder to focus than the 150m or 80 IIRC.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Many lenses do not perform as well with tubes as they do at "normal" focus distances. So for the optimal sharpness at very close focusing distances -- say 1:2 through 2:1 -- a dedicated macro lens is the best option.

However, that said, many lenses are adequately sharp when used with tubes at moderately close distances -- like head shot portraits of people with a 150 or 200 lens where you are more like 1:8 or 1:12. Also, macro lenses are not particularly great when used wide open either, so often the trade-off of using tubes with a faster lens is warranted.

For face portraits, I would stick with a short tube on a fast 150.

My .02,

fotografz

Most higher end Macros are optimized for close focusing distances, stopped down performance, and generally provide a better flatness of field. The HC120/4 is no exception.

THe HC/150 with tubes is pretty good close-up, but being optimized for medium distances for portraits, is no match for the 120 at close distances.

I'd also explore the 210/4 with a smaller extension tube for your application ... depending on DOF needs. I'll give you a bit more distance to subject when working tight to the subject.

-Marc

Dustbak

I assume you are shooting living humans in which case I would personally prefer the 150 with a 13mm extention tube over both the macro or the 210 with an extention tube.

Both the 210 as well as the 120 have very slow focussing where as the 150 is much faster.

IQ-wise, all 3 should be adequate where the 120 is the sharpest (to the point you either feel you have to beat-up your make-artist or start blurring your image) followed by the 210.

I don't ever blur my images and love sharpness... I'm looking to do closeups of lips, eye makeup, possibly headshots filling the whole screen. Will the 150 or 80 get me closer with an extension tube? As I said, too sharp has never been an issue for me. I do very good edits (atleast in my opinion) and love to keep detail in them. Never do I use the blurr tool but my models always look flawless and unedited...

Forgot to mention that lens size/weight isn't a huge issue, I'm young and currently have ONLY been using my 50-110 lens. I have a 150 and 80 and they just sit in my pelican case :(

fotografz

I don't ever blur my images and love sharpness... I'm looking to do closeups of lips, eye makeup, possibly headshots filling the whole screen. Will the 150 or 80 get me closer with an extension tube? As I said, too sharp has never been an issue for me. I do very good edits (atleast in my opinion) and love to keep detail in them. Never do I use the blurr tool but my models always look flawless and unedited...
In that case, HC-120/4 and add an extension tube to get even closer if you want.

-Marc

Dustbak

In that case, HC-120/4 and add an extension tube to get even closer if you want.

-Marc
:D:D Yes, that will get you where you want if upclose with lots of detail is what that is.

Their is a document with tables on the Hasselblad site that show you how close you can come with each lens and each extension ring (or even combination of rings).

Quentin_Bargate

I don't ever blur my images and love sharpness... I'm looking to do closeups of lips, eye makeup, possibly headshots filling the whole screen..
Then the 120 Macro for your use, no question. I have used mine as a portait lens and it works a treat.

You can always remove sharpness by blurring, but if it's not as sharp as you want in the first place, you are stuck!

Quentin

Professional

I bought 120mm because i know this lens is for closeups no doubt, i have an extension tube and use it with 80mm, didn't like it, but when i've got 120mm few days ago as i tested it last year in the store i fall in love with it directly, if i have given the choice between 80/100/150 + extension tubes or 120mm i will definitely choose 120mm, now i am not sure if i should go with 100 or 150 for dedicated portraits shots [headshots], my 80mm is great for portraits half and some headshots, and 120 can give me tight headshots as well, so not sure if i will have much use with either 100 or 150, my next lens if i have to get one more will be the zoom then i am done.

If you want to buy my 150 I would be more than willing to sell it to you!

Eric

I bought 120mm because i know this lens is for closeups no doubt, i have an extension tube and use it with 80mm, didn't like it, but when i've got 120mm few days ago as i tested it last year in the store i fall in love with it directly, if i have given the choice between 80/100/150 + extension tubes or 120mm i will definitely choose 120mm, now i am not sure if i should go with 100 or 150 for dedicated portraits shots [headshots], my 80mm is great for portraits half and some headshots, and 120 can give me tight headshots as well, so not sure if i will have much use with either 100 or 150, my next lens if i have to get one more will be the zoom then i am done.

jlm

Workshop Member
jumping in here...I also have a 150 for sale! for me the focal length is not quite what I am after (probably a 210 would suit me better), otherwise a great lens. I can use the 100 with the telextender to get mid 100"s focal length. I am not shooting close-ups.

Double Negative

Not Available
I've been using the three extension tubes with my 50, 80 and 150 lenses quite a bit since getting a CFV... They work very well for little investment (they're cheaper than lenses). If you don't plan to do a LOT of macro, a dedicated lens might be overkill (and expensive).

I have some sample/test shots if you're curious.