The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

*** PHOTOKINA 2010 and MF... what is coming... ***

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Nice video on the S2 functions David, adn thanks for the iPad functionality info as well.

I love the Leica S2 and love even more the S2 series lenses, just a joule, but this time around I passed on that particular system do to needs and applications, so I kept the 1D IV, and now trying to make a decision amongst the 60MPM big boys, or at the lowest the 50MO range, but just don't really want to go to the 40MP margin, unless off course I was to literally try out the H4D High ISO and fail in love with it, but this will then leave a problem with image size for extra large prints, main reason for which I look to purchase a 60MP range MF system.
What size prints are you looking to make? You can make very very nice prints up to 40x60 or 50x70 (inches) from 40MP. And these are "stick your nose in the print" maxes. For further viewing distance, you could certainly go larger.

Just my 2c.

David

yaya

My understanding of the Leaf functionality with iPhone/iPad is that it only works if the camera is physically tethered to a computer running Leaf Capture. The iPhone/iPad apps picks up images from the host computer that have been transferred to it.
You don't need a camera to use the iPad/ iPhone app but you do need a Mac for this, that processes and sends previews to the iPad.

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Nice video on the S2 functions David, adn thanks for the iPad functionality info as well.
Incidentally, we made a whole series of these videos covering each menu quadrant (camera, image, setup, playback), as well as how to set and access custom functions, how to change shooting modes and a 360 deg overview of the physical features of the camera. You can check them out on our YouTube channel at:

http://www.youtube.com/user/dalephotoanddigital

David

narikin

I think we can expect an improved screen/form factor from Phase, for all existing backs for sure. Possibly a couple of new sensors, though I'm positive the P65+ one will continue in some way.

What I would really like is a 21st century body to go with these amazing sensors - I'm tired of using a 1980's body design on a 2010 cutting edge back! It needs a body properly integrated with the back, multi AF, weatherproof, quieter, etc.

Would also love Phase to respond to the S2 with a ZD2, which put their great sensors in an updated ZD body! perchance to dream...

fotografz

Marc,

Agreed. We had a customer in the store on Monday who brought his Aptus-II 8 and size doesn't necessarily equal clarity (or viewability in sunlight). Side-by-side with the S2, the difference was striking and that is even before we stated zooming and scrolling around images....

The S2 screen has 460K pixels, same as the "double res" screen on the H4D60. From experience it is perfectly viewable outdoors and the review speed is just about instantaneous, so it can certainly be done on a technical level.

Check out this short video we produced to go over the image playback features on the S2. Make sure to change the video resolution to 1080p. You can get a feel for both the screen quality and the review/zoom speed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gITS-bJLTtk

David
That's true, I remember that the S2 screen was much more accurate than my H cameras ... much more like a 35mm DSLR.
One could actually use the S2 LCD to gauge exposure to some degree.

I still don't get why other more established backs haven't done this ... it is such an important part of modern mobile photography ... don't care about it in studio when tethered, but shooting on the fly is a whole other matter.

-Marc

ptomsu

Workshop Member
That's true, I remember that the S2 screen was much more accurate than my H cameras ... much more like a 35mm DSLR.
One could actually use the S2 LCD to gauge exposure to some degree.

I still don't get why other more established backs haven't done this ... it is such an important part of modern mobile photography ... don't care about it in studio when tethered, but shooting on the fly is a whole other matter.

-Marc
Fully agree!

It is a shame what Hasselblad does with their LCDs - even in their latest cameras!

It is almost unacceptable how Phase does in this respect!!! And PLEASE - do not come back with the passive cooling argument!

Hope they manage to integrate top DSLR LCDs asap in their products.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
PHOTOKINA will not only show HASSELBLAD gear .

For some guys this seems to be the only digital MF world .:thumbdown:
But it is definately NOT .:thumbs:

Jürgen

Professional

Jürgen
Yes, but in this section people are interesting in MF only [or mostly] so they will not give those smaller sensors more interests. ;) :thumbs:

B

Bob Davis

Ketch,

Yesterday, we tried an EyeFi X2 Pro SD card in one of our S2 bodies and it did in fact transfer images into a hot fold and came up in LR3.

David
David,

Just a small caution when dealing with WiFi / LR combination. In one of our shops we do Old Time Photos for the tourists. Last summer I picked up a WiFi transmitter for the Canon we were using, transferring back to a hot folder in LR. At first, I thought it worked pretty well, then one day LR crashes in the middle of a shoot and I lose my catalog. Then, a few days later, another crash, another lost catalog. After about the sixth crash (I'm a slow learner) I removed the WiFi transmitter and crushed it under my boot heel.

I suspect what was happening was LR would attempt to import a file from the hot folder that was only partially transferred by the WiFi.

You'll want to have an up-to-date catalog backup when experimenting with WiFi transfers to LR.

Thanks,

Bob

Mike M

Jürgen
That's the truth - there is certainly more to the digital MF world than just Hasselblad

I'm most interested in Alpa and would hope to see some youtube videos of their booth at Photokina. I also wouldn't mind if Optechs Digital or somebody somewhere did a demonstration video of the XY :)

fotografz

Jürgen
Where did that comment come from Jurgen?

Who said it was only about Hasselblad? I can't find it anywhere.

As far as I'm concerned, I'd also be interested in anything new from Schneider or Rodenstock for my Xact-2.

But if one owns a Phase One or a Hasselblad H then the interest lies there as far as more helpful accessories or improvements.

-Marc

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Where did that comment come from Jurgen?

Who said it was only about Hasselblad? I can't find it anywhere.

As far as I'm concerned, I'd also be interested in anything new from Schneider or Rodenstock for my Xact-2.

But if one owns a Phase One or a Hasselblad H then the interest lies there as far as more helpful accessories or improvements.

-Marc
Marc

That comment came out of my head and it shall not be understood as a reproach .
I was thinking of wonderful gear from SINAR , ARCASWISS , ALPA , CAMBO and others , as well as the extremely good lenses from SCHNEIDER and RODENSTOCK .

I am sure , we can expect new digital lenses with bigger images circles and the resolution for the 6micron pixel sensors .

Jürgen

KETCH ROSSI

What size prints are you looking to make? You can make very very nice prints up to 40x60 or 50x70 (inches) from 40MP. And these are "stick your nose in the print" maxes. For further viewing distance, you could certainly go larger.

Just my 2c.

David
This system is to shoot for Art Gallery material were prints will go as big as 120x80 and 240x120 for the panoramic, but this could be stitched.

KETCH ROSSI

inch or cm?
He he, nice one, since I'm Italian could go both ways so I should have specified, but since I'm in a English Forum, I did mean Inches.

Some of the Panoramic shots as well as some of the CityScapes shots and the Cathedrals will be Stunningly Huge and full of detail.

dfarkas

Workshop Member
This system is to shoot for Art Gallery material were prints will go as big as 120x80 and 240x120 for the panoramic, but this could be stitched.
Ketch,

With these print sizes (120" x 80"), a 60.5 MP image will result in a print resolution of 75 PPI vs. 62.5 PPI for the S2 at 37.5 MP. I'm curious how significant a 12.5 PPI linear resolution advantage will be vs. other ergonomic differences.

David

narikin

Ketch,

With these print sizes (120" x 80"), a 60.5 MP image will result in a print resolution of 75 PPI vs. 62.5 PPI for the S2 at 37.5 MP. I'm curious how significant a 12.5 PPI linear resolution advantage will be vs. other ergonomic differences.
David
Yeaasss David, a panoramic image will flatter the S2 in comparisons like this because of its elongated 3:2 format, combined with the drastic cropping of all other 4:3 formats, even far higher resolution ones like the P65+.

fact is for that sort of work, he would be best off getting an Alpa Max or Cambo or Arca with a digital back, and large circle lens, thus stitching two (or more) 645's together, and getting incredible quality - close to the ideal 180dpi or higher... a horizontal two stitch would be just the job for panoramas. Probably best of all would a Seitz 6x17, dedicated digital panoramic camera:
http://luminous-landscape.com/reviews/seitz-d3.shtml

I'm more interested in knowing where you can get a exhibition quality 80x120" print made without a joint seam or two down the middle. All the XL inkjet machines capable of doing that size in one piece are solvent printers onto vinyl or canvas, (quality paper tops out at 64" wide) so very high resolution will be rendered somewhat pointless by their greatly reduced resolution. Makes it all somewhat moot, don't you think?

Last edited:

KETCH ROSSI

that's why I was asking :)
okay, 2 meters on the short side is big... you won't necessarily need 60mp but it definitely won't hurt to have more resolution to start with.
Yeah it is big,

the largest prints will be from Stitched pics. BUt this is why I think that the bigger Sensor (no Crop Factor) and the higher MP count can should make a difference.

Ketch,

David
David,

there is a big difference, believe it or not, from a 60MP to a 37/40 MP sensor, and it will show, obviously the way the files are handle will matter just as much.

Possibly I have been showed the Leica S2 under the wrong circumstances and have not seen the full potential of this Camera, possibly.

BUt for me to re-consider going with the S2, I will need tests and reassurance of its capabilities.

Yeaasss David, a panoramic image will flatter the S2 in comparisons like this because of its elongated 3:2 format, combined with the drastic cropping of all other 4:3 formats, even far higher resolution ones like the P65+.

fact is for that sort of work, he would be best off getting an Alpa Max or Cambo or Arca with a digital back, and large circle lens, thus stitching two (or more) 645's together, and getting incredible quality - close to the ideal 180dpi or higher... a horizontal two stitch would be just the job for panoramas. Probably best of all would a Seitz 6x17, dedicated digital panoramic camera:
http://luminous-landscape.com/reviews/seitz-d3.shtml

I'm more interested in knowing where you can get a exhibition quality 80x120" print made without a joint seam or two down the middle. All the XL inkjet machines capable of doing that size in one piece are solvent printers onto vinyl or canvas, (quality paper tops out at 64" wide) so very high resolution will be rendered somewhat pointless by their greatly reduced resolution. Makes it all somewhat moot, don't you think?
Yeah Tech cameras are completely out of the question, I just don't want to have 5 camera systems, 4 is more then in off, he he.

Paper prints that size and larger are in deed the result of seamless stitching of the two sheets of paper, resolution will go as high as 300dpi and as low as 75dpi for some super large Bill Board like Prints.

Again most of the super large prints will come from the result of stitched shots, and they will be printed in multiple paper banners.