The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

H4D60 Macro Image

gogopix

Subscriber
Thanks Jack,

Nice explanation. Interesting about the lenses (esp SK vs Leica). I am sure there is a balance for each and looking at 100% screen crops just compare with a good print.

I will be looking at he Hassey backs relative to the lenses (esp WA) on the Alpa if it is going to be a viable alternative to the Phase in the future, so I was surprised at the lack of punch (but then David may just have had an easy hand on the post processing.)

What is amazing is how we have moved from an image 'look' being controlled by film and papaer contrast, lenses etc. to a point where so much can be affected by post. Interesting times

regards
Victor

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
What is amazing is how we have moved from an image 'look' being controlled by film and papaer contrast, lenses etc. to a point where so much can be affected by post. Interesting times
I agree for sure. It seems once a lens is very good performer, post processing choices can basically neutralize subtleties (other than Bokeh) between brands to the point where they're unrecognizable in the end image. This has created it's own sort of reversal amongst some of us: we're looking for those older jewel lenses of less than stellar performance just to generate a certain look that cannot be replicated by post techniques alone. This is of course where having a focal plane shuttered body is an advantage for mounting purposes.

David K

Workshop Member
... post processing choices can basically neutralize subtleties (other than Bokeh) between brands to the point where they're unrecognizable in the end image. This has created it's own sort of reversal amongst some of us: we're looking for those older jewel lenses of less than stellar performance just to generate a certain look that cannot be replicated by post techniques alone. This is of course where having a focal plane shuttered body is an advantage for mounting purposes.
I expressed this same thought yesterday in the context of whether to choose the 35 cron or the 35 lux for my new M9. Aside from the bokeh wide open I think the end result with either lens will be indistinguishable AFTER I am done with my post processing.

well if I go back to xpixel's S2 70mm quasi macro shots there is a LOT more detail and interest, DR just about everything. What am I mossing? is this this thing like 2mm long?
I have no vested inerest in either system, but have VERY seriously considered swithching to the H4 system as my Contax goes to camera Valhalla (I need a tech solution for my Alpa investment as well)

Victor
Interesting? I am not suite sure what extra detail could be seen? Are the individual Hexagons on the eye of the moth not enough?

I am also not sure how you are assessing DR etc from a small JPG?

Anyway, Jack hits the nail on the head with his conclusions re lens differences and processing.

David