The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Strengths and Weaknesses of Various Backs

gogopix

Subscriber
I was only half joking about the utility and potential in the one use disposables..

anyway Victor I dont have a good eye - I have a great eye..so here is a great eyes opinion about ALL things photographic..ready?

Victor I keep telling you -you already own the best system for YOUR uses LOL
congratulations!:thumbs:

Petey.
I agree on seeing the LIGHT! :salute: It's why I invested (and am learning) to use studio light etc. Even try to balance by borrowing a white card for reflected light etc when traveling.. MF is VERY demanding.

I also have an M8 and DMR that I take depending my mood.

However, when I get back and want to zoom in it is nice to have the MF resolution. There is also a different look. Can't explain.

NOW, why looking? I often set up tripods for wildlife with BIG lenses and frankly I am getting too lazy (and fumble fingered) to change. I figured this was an opportunity to ad a back and have some flexibility.

It is also fun to 'be in the game' rather than an observer. :D

Do I really NEED anything....

hmmm...well... sort of, but well, hmmmm..

ok......maybe,.................

NOT

regards
Victor

PS But I'm still gonna look :angel:

Last edited:

gogopix

Subscriber
Say just a quick example of when NR is NOT good (at least for me.)

Here is a P45+ at 800. handheld, in a tunnel of a very interesting fort in Villefranche. Had the C645 P45+ so, no other option. Wanted to capture the feel of the place (wasn't too successful, but again the light SUCKED!! and was a gas with a greenish alien look :bugeyes:

first, yes noisy so what. I kind of like it...it seems real (and hard to tell the noise, and BOY is it noisy, from the DIRT:D

the second, made with toy car material.

and no Thierry this isnt aimed at the 75lv. If it pans out I will buy it! (I like tthe option of the Dalsa if only to play :ROTFL:

What I REALLY want, is the top image WITHOUT THE NOISE

Last edited:

EH21

I'll have to jump into the fray here too and state that I also thought that while the lack of noise was really impressive with the e75 ISO 800 file, the file lacked texture. I mean it was just really amazing to look at that file and push the exposure 2 stops and not get ugly's but still the file had a look that said, "This is a photograph, not real". Of course this is just my own opinion based only on the one sample image and a few posted over at the OPF by Nicolas Claris.

Here's an open question - I have read that while some cameras loose DR with each increase of ISO away from their base sensitivity, other's do not. Is that true and if so then which backs hold their DR? Because to me the key in making a believable file is high DR. Another way to ask the question is then which backs have the highest DR? At iso 100, at iso 400 and 800?

Dale Allyn

Dale, the difference is between a Focal Plane shutter camera and a Leaf Shutter camera. ContaxAF & MamiyaAFD are 645 focal plane shutter cameras with a low flash sync speed, but a high top shutter speed. The Hy6 and Hasselblad H1/2/3 are Leaf Shutter cameras with flash sync at all shutter speeds, but top out at 1/800th/1/1000th.

Your applications can help decide which is better for you. For example, a high flash sync speed is important for my applications because I shoot with strobes or fill flash 90% of the time when using a MF camera... so I selected Hasselbald. But not everyone needs that.

Take a look at Irakly Shandize's work with a Contax 645 and P25 back. His entire digital MF system (camera, finder, multiple lenses and digital back, cost less than some of these backs alone. Doesn't seem to hurt his images ;)
Thanks for this.

Sync speed is not an issue for me, as the only studio/product stuff I currently do uses cold light from fiber optic bundles (always on) – still life setups for my business. I'm not a strobe guy.

Really I'm looking for something for nature or street stuff and mostly with wider to medium focal length lenses. I'm leaning towards a Contax 645 because of the glass and compactness (perhaps Mamiya), though still uncertain about the backs.

I'll look further at Irakly's work, and I'd like to better understand the Sinar less expensive solutions as well (54xx).

I'm not in a location where I can experiment with this stuff easily, so I appreciate the comments from all here as I try to get a grip on this before going to where I can handle them.

Thanks,

Dale