The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

S2 System Releases and Information

tjv

Hi all,

Does anyone know when Leica are planning to release the 30-90mm S zoom they talked about? I ask because for someone like me, thinking of buying into a costly system, the initial purchase of a normal zoom workhorse is a practical point of entry.

On the same note, what do people think Leica are up to with regard to the S stable of lenses and accessories? I'm not sure what Leica are already shipping, but I haven't heard anything about the vertical grip or replacement focusing screens, for example.

Perhaps David has some general information he would like to share with us regarding the S2 and Leica in general?

I sincerely hope this doesn't turn into yet another S2 / Leica bashing thread. I just want a place for people to share information regarding the S2 system.

Thanks,

Tim

markowich

Hi all,

Does anyone know when Leica are planning to release the 30-90mm S zoom they talked about? I ask because for someone like me, thinking of buying into a costly system, the initial purchase of a normal zoom workhorse is a practical point of entry.

On the same note, what do people think Leica are up to with regard to the S stable of lenses and accessories? I'm not sure what Leica are already shipping, but I haven't heard anything about the vertical grip or replacement focusing screens, for example.

Perhaps David has some general information he would like to share with us regarding the S2 and Leica in general?

I sincerely hope this doesn't turn into yet another S2 / Leica bashing thread. I just want a place for people to share information regarding the S2 system.

Thanks,

Tim
the most knowledgable source in leica told me next year. but he did not want to give a more precise timing. my guess -after a long conversation- is rather earlier than later next year.
peter

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Hi all,

Thanks,

Tim
Tim,

Currently the only accessories shipping are the remote release cable, extra chargers, extra batteries, and the SF 58 flash. I haven't received dates on when the focusing screens and vertical grip will start to ship. The 35, 70, and 180 lenses are currently being shipped (although the 35 is heavily back-ordered). The 120 Macro should be released before Photokina, but will probably take some time to fill existing orders (same as 35).

I have the same information that Peter does, that the 30-90 will come early-to-mid next year. The 24 ultra-wide should be showing up around the same time. Hopefully, I can get confirmation on these dates at Photokina. My guess is that Leica will make lens road map information available at the show.

I agree that a 30-90 on an S2 would make for an incredible walkaround kit, with a 24 for those needing wider angle, or a 120 or 180 for macro or tele shooting.

Hope this helps. As I said, we will know a lot more at Photokina.

David

Tim, there are a bunch of us chomping at the bit for the 30-90 zoom for the reasons you stated. In my opinion, Leica would have been smart to offer the 30-90 when the S2 was initially released. It would have been a very flexible one lens kit for entry into an entirely new system.

I am hopefully Leica releases the lens soon and, more importantly, it is an excellent performer.

markowich

Tim, there are a bunch of us chomping at the bit for the 30-90 zoom for the reasons you stated. In my opinion, Leica would have been smart to offer the 30-90 when the S2 was initially released. It would have been a very flexible one lens kit for entry into an entirely new system.

I am hopefully Leica releases the lens soon and, more importantly, it is an excellent performer.
mark,
i am sure they were worried abou not selling the 35mm and the 70mm in sufficient numbers when bringing out the zoom first.
peter

tjv

mark,
i am sure they were worried abou not selling the 35mm and the 70mm in sufficient numbers when bringing out the zoom first.
peter
Perhaps you are right, I don't know. An f3.5 zoom with that range sounds perfect but with an aperture that wide I sure hope they aren't sacrificing too much with regard to CA, distortion, etc. I wonder if Leica are working on any longer zoom lenses, like a 90-180.

I loved using the S2 when I tested it but to be honest I'm living in a dream world if I think I could afford one this year. I hope all of you S2 owners post more images and share experiences soon. I'll live my S2 fantasies out through your photographic exploits.

narikin

is it supposed to be f3.5 - is that what Leica say?
pretty good if so.

yes they need to fix longitudinal CA at wide apertures more this time, the one serious failing of the 70mm imho. if they can correct this, it would be a great system lens.

tjv

Yes, the pics I've seen have f3.5 written on it. I was amazed when I've read it. I expected f4 or f4.5.

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Correct. The plan is to have a constant-aperture 30-90mm f/3.5.

Sounds challenging, but hey, who thought they could make a 35mm f/2.5 for medium format?

David

narikin

f3.5 is great - if you can use it at that.

the Chromatic Aberrations in the 70mm make it unusable in strong light, till you get 1 stop down. and that ruins it for me.

In fact I would say the two reasons I don't own this system are the CA problem, the lack of Capture One raw processing.