The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A Short Learning Experience in MF (p30+ and Aptus II-8)

S

Shelby Lewis

So... Steve Hendrix and I FINALLY met face to face today... after literally years of "MF close calls" on my part. :D

I needed to get to Atlanta this week to get one of my trumpets worked on, pick up an item or two at Ikea... and most importantly, finally drop into CI and meet Steve and try out some gear. With all the running around I had to do, I only had about an hour or so in the shop, so we decided against trying multiple camera formats and instead opted on trying multiple backs (plus those other thugs at CI had taken all the newer gear to a workshop in Tampa :ROTFL:). We were stuck with an original AFD so we decided to make the test more about comparisons between two competing MF back typologies... microlenses (p30+) for better high-ISO and full-frame-ish lower ISO optimized backs (Aptus)

What an illuminating hour! I shot an aptus II-8 and a p30+ with the 80/2.8D in the alley just beside the shop... all natural light. Bright conditions, but we hid in the shade and I augmented the light with a white reflector. Am I seeing corretcly that a "normal" lens doesn't seem to exaggerate noses as much in MF. I would never shoot headshots with a 50 on a 35mm camera.

Firstly. IMO the original AFD is not a good enough camera for these backs. It works fine, and TBH, the shutter isn't much mushier than my 5dII, lol (but the lag is worse). The big problem is the AF circle is too damned big to be sure of what you're focusing on... consequently, basically all my shots were slightly OoF mostly to the front (tip of the nose). I only shot about 40 frames total... and the spent the rest of the time looking at the files on the computer... Steve was really helpful showing me both LC11 and C1v5.

On the aptus files... Leaf Capture had a wonderfully "gentle" rendering of the files. The roll-off to highlights was so nice and "filmic" while the skintones were very realistic. The interface, however, seemed far less refined when compared to C1v5. The aptus files in C1 (as opposed to LC) were a bit more contrasty and skintones seemed a bit less refined, but I was really impressed at the similarity in rendering between the files. Neither was "better", per se... but I did prefer the use of secret sauce in LC with the Aptus. The difference was subtle though and proper profiling and tweaking could probably equalize the two renderings to a large extent.

The p30+ was the big surprise for me. Even though I found the aptus files more "lovely", the files at ISO 200 and above were already becoming noisy. Funny, as a wedding shooter who doesn't mind noise, they did NOT seem overly noisy though. Still, I was on the edge with shutter speeds even wide open which killed some sharpness. But MAN... when I took the p30+ out... it was amazing how clean the files came out at ISO 400/800. Really clean with detail being kept. This also allowed for much higher shutter speeds.

It was the first time I realized how much more the p30+ might be fitting for the type of work I do (which involves a lot of ambient shooting in "fat light"... broad shade on bright days). Even ISO 200 on the non micro-lens backs seems noisy compared to the p30+. In C1, the files from the p30+ were VERY nice. Again, IMO not as "lovely" as the Aptus files, but every bit as nice... and definitely clean.

So , in the end, this very short trial of two different takes on MF backs was very illuminating for me. It really helped me realize... BY TRYING THE BACKS OUT IN THE SAME WAY THAT I SHOOT... that the ISO advantages of a p30+ (or similar) is going to outweigh the disadvantage of the slight crop at the sensor. Something I hadn't expected. I have been looking hard at the 22mp backs, but now realize they might not be as fitting for me.

I'm a student now (again!), I'm waiting for the October announcements to pull the trigger (to see what it does to the prices of current backs), but I can't stress enough now how actually trying these backs out and looking at the files can make a difference. It's worth it.

Here a quick work up... and know this was very slightly front focused, so the eyes weren't as sharp as they should be... but the color and file quality is SO nice. (would be nicer still if I had LC, but this a RD conversion). I love the look of these files. For the first time in a long time, they just look "right" as opposed to my 35mm stuff. Could they be better, sure, with practice... but boy are the already a TON better right out of the cam.

Aptus II-8... p30+ to come later:

S

Shelby Lewis

BTW... along the lines of the "do you miss your fast lenses" thread.

This is an 80/2.8, wide open. Depth of field seems very close to a 50/1.4, wide open (maybe f2-ish), on a 35mm camera... only the rolloff to OoF is so much nicer.

And the lens was bitingly sharp... wide open... with no "glowiness".

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Too bad a DF body was not around . Huge difference but more Important is you got to give the backs a run. I could have and probably did tell you all you discovered but you do really need to try them out. No question though in my mind for YOU the p30 plus is the one you want. Nice iso right to 800 with very little noise. I honestly had a real tough decision upgrading to the p40 from the p30 plus. Until the P40 plus hit the streets the p30 IMHO was the best general purpose back from phase. Now you may want to dessturate the p30 files very slightly for people . It's a kodak sensor which has more bite than the dalsa sensor . Just some playing can smooth it down a little. Nice thing is the P30 us can be had for great prices from your dealer. Get a DF body though

yaya

Nice shot Shelby!

Three things in favour of the Aptus:

1. The Aptus-II 8 makes a bigger file so when you're looking at both images at 100% the noise will be more apparent. If you scaled it down to 90MB (roughly the size of the P30+ image) or if you print both at the same given size, I think you will see the noise difference diminishing. I hope this makes sense?

2. The extra speed (1 fps) of the Aptus might come in handy for weddings

3. On the DF (if you get one) it'll sync at 1/1,600 which again might be useful sometimes

HTH

Yair

S

Shelby Lewis

Thanks Yair... all considerations I hadn't thought of yet. Much appreciated.

But the price, the price...

(i'm saying the same about the DF body!)

yaya

Thanks Yair... all considerations I hadn't thought of yet. Much appreciated.

But the price, the price...

(i'm saying the same about the DF body!)
Of course the good things come at a price;)

You can perhaps look at the Aptus-II 6 (28MP) which is more comparable to the P30+, price wise and size wise and it shares most of the good stuff from the 8?

Yair

Guy Mancuso

Nice shot Shelby!

Three things in favour of the Aptus:

1. The Aptus-II 8 makes a bigger file so when you're looking at both images at 100% the noise will be more apparent. If you scaled it down to 90MB (roughly the size of the P30+ image) or if you print both at the same given size, I think you will see the noise difference diminishing. I hope this makes sense?

2. The extra speed (1 fps) of the Aptus might come in handy for weddings

3. On the DF (if you get one) it'll sync at 1/1,600 which again might be useful sometimes

HTH

Yair

Thanks Yair and just to be fair I was not eliminating the Leaf backs but just referring to the P30+ which I know and owned at one time. I don't speak of systems I have not used before that is a rule i always follow , wish sometimes others would as well. Not related here but you get my drift

Don Libby

The P30+ is a sweet back. The P30+ was my first Phase back and while I like the P45+ I upgraded only to work with a technical camera.

Don

Guy Mancuso

I wanted Sensor Plus and the Dalsa Sensor but that was a personal choice plus the upgrade path made sense and I am going to get a tech camera at some point

kdphotography

I don't know if/how Leaf backs work into subsequent trade-in opportunities with Phase/Leaf/Mamiya, but that might also be a consideration to check out, particularly since you are about to head down Dante's dangerous medium format digital path... I know there should not be a problem with the P30+ .... (oh great swami sees a P40+ in your future...)

Definitely whore yourself out anyway possible to get the DF body----that will make any MFDB experience much better!

ken

dogstarnyc

Spot on Ken....

And well done Shelby for using your common sense and getting out there and trying kit.... Now you know you know.....
....If you know what I mean :):thumbs:

S

p.s.

Glad everything is working out for you.. keep rolling..

S

Shelby Lewis

I don't know if/how Leaf backs work into subsequent trade-in opportunities with Phase/Leaf/Mamiya, but that might also be a consideration to check out, particularly since you are about to head down Dante's dangerous medium format digital path... I know there should not be a problem with the P30+ .... (oh great swami sees a P40+ in your future...)

Definitely whore yourself out anyway possible to get the DF body----that will make any MFDB experience much better!

ken
Ah... more things to swim around in my head. Ken, you are now the duly appointed Resident MF Gear Enabler. There isn't a thread on this board where I don't see you trying to convince someone to "upgrade", lol.

And I haven't even bought my FIRST back :ROTFL:

I'm still gonna start with an RZ probably (for price and the slower working method). Hopefully a DF at the new year?

Steve, thanks for the well wishes. I hope all is well with you and yours. :)

fotografz

Shelby, did you see this thread?

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16789

Great RZ glass can be had for a song. The only question I would have is whether that back can be also used on the new Phase One 645 camera that you could get later.

At any rate I think the path you are traveling is the right one ... even if not right now.

I just shot my first wedding where the 645-MFD was used for a majority of the shots, (with the A900 & 24-70 used mostly as back-up) ... and I couldn't be more pleased. These new cameras handle very well, and once used enough you can get pretty fast with them handheld or on a monopod (with the right head).

Best of luck.

-Marc

S

Shelby Lewis

Hey Marc,

As long as I get a ProIID, then the phase back will work on both systems... the older ProII takes a v-mount if used with a phase one back.

I've actually been thinking, after shooting the 30+ yesterday and seeing the excellent 400 and 800 ISO, about the realities of using it during weddings. It originally hadn't even been part of my thought process, but if the DF is everything everyone makes it out to be... then it should be imminently usable in many of the weddings I shoot.

You see, here in TN, brides somehow think that getting married outside in mid-summer is a good thing. I swear, in the fall and spring when the weather is nice, they all get married inside. Well... maybe the light in broad shade is fantastic for me in summer, but damn is it HOT. :D

I'll take it though!

That RZ33 is just a proIID with a mamiya rebadged Leaf back... but the discount available right now is nice. I'm probably going to pick up the RZ camera body on the used market and hope to find a used p30+ through CI... or maybe, just maybe, the price will drop a bit in October when the new announcements come out (whatever they happen to be).

BTW... any monopod/head recommendations. I might start picking that stuff up here soon in anticipation of the back purchase.

Shelby, did you see this thread?

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16789

Great RZ glass can be had for a song. The only question I would have is whether that back can be also used on the new Phase One 645 camera that you could get later.

At any rate I think the path you are traveling is the right one ... even if not right now.

I just shot my first wedding where the 645-MFD was used for a majority of the shots, (with the A900 & 24-70 used mostly as back-up) ... and I couldn't be more pleased. These new cameras handle very well, and once used enough you can get pretty fast with them handheld or on a monopod (with the right head).

Best of luck.

-Marc

fotografz

Hey Marc,

As long as I get a ProIID, then the phase back will work on both systems... the older ProII takes a v-mount if used with a phase one back.

I've actually been thinking, after shooting the 30+ yesterday and seeing the excellent 400 and 800 ISO, about the realities of using it during weddings. It originally hadn't even been part of my thought process, but if the DF is everything everyone makes it out to be... then it should be imminently usable in many of the weddings I shoot.

You see, here in TN, brides somehow think that getting married outside in mid-summer is a good thing. I swear, in the fall and spring when the weather is nice, they all get married inside. Well... maybe the light in broad shade is fantastic for me in summer, but damn is it HOT. :D

I'll take it though!

That RZ33 is just a proIID with a mamiya rebadged Leaf back... but the discount available right now is nice. I'm probably going to pick up the RZ camera body on the used market and hope to find a used p30+ through CI... or maybe, just maybe, the price will drop a bit in October when the new announcements come out (whatever they happen to be).

BTW... any monopod/head recommendations. I might start picking that stuff up here soon in anticipation of the back purchase.
Shelby,

I think you may be surprised how well one of these 40 meg MFDs work for weddings.

I hear you about summer weddings LOL! This Sunday I took my H4D/40 because it was an outdoor wedding at noon ... no shade! The Dynamic Range was essential. Man was it HOT.

Making it easier to shoot MFD weddings: I just got one of the new Think Tank lens bags and was able to shoot most of the wedding with 3 lenses ... 50mm, 100mm, and 210mm ... two in the lens bag, one on camera.

For kicks, in my back-up bag I also took my 28mm ... and ... :eek: ... the little HTS unit to do some Tilt Shift work mostly with the 100mm ... which was an experimental learning experience placing the OOF areas where I wanted them. Super fun for portraits.

I'm using a carbon fiber Gitzo Monopod ... but the real transformation for fast wedding use was recently getting the Really Right Stuff Heavy Duty Monopod Head with Arca type Quick Release. :thumbs: Can't recommend it enough!

-Marc

yaya

Daddy, it says we're about 1.3 stop over...I'm gonna change it to 1/60 OK???

He'll be 3 at the end of this month and is already mastering the Aptus-II/ 645DF controls...

(here helping me out with testing some firmware stuff) :salute: :salute: :salute:

yair

S

Shelby Lewis

I see a new advert from Leaf... "So easy, a 3 year old could shoot with it!"

Priceless shot... frame it and hang it in your office! :D

kdphotography

He'll be 3 at the end of this month and is already mastering the Aptus-II/ 645DF controls...
...and you thought saving for college was going to be difficult. :)

KETCH ROSSI

Beautiful shot Shelby,

I'm also in contact with Steve, bough from CI before great service, I will also be testing out the Aptus II 10 and P1 P65+
on DF bodies, and this friday I'm testing the H4D-40 and 50, no 60 :( thanks to David, that arranged via Jeff a demo with Matthew.. can't wait!