The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A Short Learning Experience in MF (p30+ and Aptus II-8)

T

tetsrfun

Really Right Stuff Heavy Duty Monopod Head with Arca type Quick Release.
The RRS MH-01 head and lever clamp is a great set up; the only problem is if the long axis of the camera plate is perpendicular to the lens axis.

Steve

kdphotography

I've done all that I can do to help stimulate the economy....now I'm left to spending vicariously through others! :)

PeterA

Daddy, it says we're about 1.3 stop over...I'm gonna change it to 1/60 OK???

He'll be 3 at the end of this month and is already mastering the Aptus-II/ 645DF controls...

(here helping me out with testing some firmware stuff) :salute: :salute: :salute:

yair
Fantastic post Yair - made me smile.
Pete

Digitalcameraman

Nice shot Shelby, we could have used you for our Tampa event.

I would be one of those thugs that were using all the new DF bodies, We had 3 DF bodies with Aptus 8 (just amazing) and P40+ and P65+. But you would have really like to see the RZ33. Rotating the back without having to take it off was a pleasure. And not have the extra cables to deal with along the way was also on a different level. I have many people using the RZ with original style RZ adapter and V style back.

I think it is well worth the extra investment to get the RZD solution so you can invest in a mount that can be interchanged between the DF bodies and the RZD. Rotating that back is so smooth compared to the original design.

I wanted to make a comment about the 80mm lens shot at 2,8. I have seen a lot of catalog shooters produce stellar, shallow depth of field images with that dreamy out focus confusion with this lens. The new 80mm 2.8 both the Phase One/Mamiya 2.8 and LS, are really great lenses for digital.

Now put the Phase One 150mm 2.8 lenses and shoot the same shot. Even better. No question the lenses that are designed and being used for these MF camera systems are on a whole different design level that 35mm. I have had many portrait photographers tell me that this is what impressed them most about the look of how their image quality can be changed. Of course add in all the extra shades of color and optical sharpness and you have more to work with and push and pull around during editing.

Look forward to seeing more images once you start using it full time.

Sincerely,

Chris Snipes
Sales Manager, Florida
Capture Integration
http://www.captureintegration.com

Phase One, Leaf, Cambo, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Eizo & More

404.522.7662 Atlanta
305.350.9900 Miami
877.217.9870 National
813.335.2473 Cell

Subscribe to our RSS Feed

So... Steve Hendrix and I FINALLY met face to face today... after literally years of "MF close calls" on my part. :D

I needed to get to Atlanta this week to get one of my trumpets worked on, pick up an item or two at Ikea... and most importantly, finally drop into CI and meet Steve and try out some gear. With all the running around I had to do, I only had about an hour or so in the shop, so we decided against trying multiple camera formats and instead opted on trying multiple backs (plus those other thugs at CI had taken all the newer gear to a workshop in Tampa :ROTFL:). We were stuck with an original AFD so we decided to make the test more about comparisons between two competing MF back typologies... microlenses (p30+) for better high-ISO and full-frame-ish lower ISO optimized backs (Aptus)

What an illuminating hour! I shot an aptus II-8 and a p30+ with the 80/2.8D in the alley just beside the shop... all natural light. Bright conditions, but we hid in the shade and I augmented the light with a white reflector. Am I seeing corretcly that a "normal" lens doesn't seem to exaggerate noses as much in MF. I would never shoot headshots with a 50 on a 35mm camera.

Firstly. IMO the original AFD is not a good enough camera for these backs. It works fine, and TBH, the shutter isn't much mushier than my 5dII, lol (but the lag is worse). The big problem is the AF circle is too damned big to be sure of what you're focusing on... consequently, basically all my shots were slightly OoF mostly to the front (tip of the nose). I only shot about 40 frames total... and the spent the rest of the time looking at the files on the computer... Steve was really helpful showing me both LC11 and C1v5.

On the aptus files... Leaf Capture had a wonderfully "gentle" rendering of the files. The roll-off to highlights was so nice and "filmic" while the skintones were very realistic. The interface, however, seemed far less refined when compared to C1v5. The aptus files in C1 (as opposed to LC) were a bit more contrasty and skintones seemed a bit less refined, but I was really impressed at the similarity in rendering between the files. Neither was "better", per se... but I did prefer the use of secret sauce in LC with the Aptus. The difference was subtle though and proper profiling and tweaking could probably equalize the two renderings to a large extent.

The p30+ was the big surprise for me. Even though I found the aptus files more "lovely", the files at ISO 200 and above were already becoming noisy. Funny, as a wedding shooter who doesn't mind noise, they did NOT seem overly noisy though. Still, I was on the edge with shutter speeds even wide open which killed some sharpness. But MAN... when I took the p30+ out... it was amazing how clean the files came out at ISO 400/800. Really clean with detail being kept. This also allowed for much higher shutter speeds.

It was the first time I realized how much more the p30+ might be fitting for the type of work I do (which involves a lot of ambient shooting in "fat light"... broad shade on bright days). Even ISO 200 on the non micro-lens backs seems noisy compared to the p30+. In C1, the files from the p30+ were VERY nice. Again, IMO not as "lovely" as the Aptus files, but every bit as nice... and definitely clean.

So , in the end, this very short trial of two different takes on MF backs was very illuminating for me. It really helped me realize... BY TRYING THE BACKS OUT IN THE SAME WAY THAT I SHOOT... that the ISO advantages of a p30+ (or similar) is going to outweigh the disadvantage of the slight crop at the sensor. Something I hadn't expected. I have been looking hard at the 22mp backs, but now realize they might not be as fitting for me.

I'm a student now (again!), I'm waiting for the October announcements to pull the trigger (to see what it does to the prices of current backs), but I can't stress enough now how actually trying these backs out and looking at the files can make a difference. It's worth it.

Here a quick work up... and know this was very slightly front focused, so the eyes weren't as sharp as they should be... but the color and file quality is SO nice. (would be nicer still if I had LC, but this a RD conversion). I love the look of these files. For the first time in a long time, they just look "right" as opposed to my 35mm stuff. Could they be better, sure, with practice... but boy are the already a TON better right out of the cam.

Aptus II-8... p30+ to come later:

S

Shelby Lewis

I would be one of those thugs that were using all the new DF bodies
I'll make a note of that... :D

I wanted to make a comment about the 80mm lens shot at 2,8. I have seen a lot of catalog shooters produce stellar, shallow depth of field images with that dreamy out focus confusion with this lens. The new 80mm 2.8 both the Phase One/Mamiya 2.8 and LS, are really great lenses for digital.

Now put the Phase One 150mm 2.8 lenses and shoot the same shot. Even better. No question the lenses that are designed and being used for these MF camera systems are on a whole different design level that 35mm. I have had many portrait photographers tell me that this is what impressed them most about the look of how their image quality can be changed. Of course add in all the extra shades of color and optical sharpness and you have more to work with and push and pull around during editing.
I love shooting faces at around 135mm on 35mm. The 150/2.8 is going to be perfect for me once I can afford it. :(

No one replied, but I'd swear there is less perspective distortion on a "normal" lens in MF than on 35mm... say between the Phase 80/2.8 compared to a canon 50/1.4. Noses aren't as pronounced. Faces not so round. I know perspective is a function of subject-to-camera distance... is there something about the fact that I'm shooting an 80mm lens that compresses the perspective characteristics of a "normal" lens on MF as opposed to on the 35mm systems where "normal" is 50mm?

Or is it just my eyes?:confused:

I am, so far, very impressed with the rendering of the 80/2.8D ... it's not quite as zeiss-like as I prefer, but it's rendering is exponentially more lovely than the canon equivalent. Something about the great acutance in combination with the smoother roll-off to OoF. Really nice. When I was first starting in photography, I was a student and for a long time could only afford a DSLR and a 50mm lens. Shot like that for over a year... and still have some of my best work from that time. I could see a similar period with MF while I build a kit up. Back, camera body, and one or two lenses. Maybe a 35mm, 80mm, and the 150mm.

Pull out the canon if I have to in order to fill in the gaps... even though I shoot weddings these days with only a 35mm, 50mm, and 85mm primes. I only go longer/wider if I absolutely HAVE to... which rarely happens especially with the ability to crop so heavily these days.

Look forward to seeing more images once you start using it full time.
Thanks Chris!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Neither... You've simply been assimilated :ROTFL:

Seriously, I know what you're saying, but I'm not sure it's focal length distortion per se. However, whatever the reason, a portrait shot with an 80 on MF has a distinctly different look than the same portrait shot on full-frame 35 with a 50. I think it may be more the way the DoF falls off.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
No one replied, but I'd swear there is less perspective distortion on a "normal" lens in MF than on 35mm... say between the Phase 80/2.8 compared to a canon 50/1.4. Noses aren't as pronounced. Faces not so round. I know perspective is a function of subject-to-camera distance... is there something about the fact that I'm shooting an 80mm lens that compresses the perspective characteristics of a "normal" lens on MF as opposed to on the 35mm systems where "normal" is 50mm?

The P30+ you tried was a 1.3x crop from full frame 645. So the 80mm is the FF-dSLR equivalent of a 63mm. Or in other words a tad longer than normal

BTW...
On a P30+ the "technical normal" lens (diagonal of the format) is 55mm.
On a FF dSLR the "technical normal" lens (diagonal of the format) is 43mm.

Add in a change in aspect ratio which can effect your composition and I can easily see where you'd notice a difference in perceived perspective.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Seriously, I know what you're saying, but I'm not sure it's focal length distortion per se. However, whatever the reason, a portrait shot with an 80 on MF has a distinctly different look than the same portrait shot on full-frame 35 with a 50. I think it may be more the way the DoF falls off.
There is definitely a different look and when you see a difference which is hard to identify the cause/specifics of the brain searches hard to explain it.

That's one of the reasons why we end up with a lot of "fuzzy" words like 3D-Ness.

Personal Work

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
There is definitely a different look and when you see a difference which is hard to identify the cause/specifics of the brain searches hard to explain it.

That's one of the reasons why we end up with a lot of "fuzzy" words like 3D-Ness.

Personal Work
BEST POST YET

Why we shoot MF

aldo

FOV and Perspective view are 2 complementary terms. I might be completely wrong but moving from ASP-C to FF 35mm to MFD have made me to reanalyze this terms.

If you are shooting a subject 15 feet away from 3 cameras (ASP-C, FF 35mm and MF) and you are using a 100mm lens and f/4 on each camera:

1) The perspective view should be the same on the 3 cameras right?
2) The FOV will be different?
3) The DOF will be the same right?

I blame the different sensor sizes, It's like when you have DX 35mm DSLR (1.5 crop factor) and people say "If you want a 50mm lens, the equivalent would be 35mm on DX"... yes the FOV (or angle of view) will be almost the same (44° and 46°) but the perspective view won't.... try to make the same portrait composition and look at their noses!

I haven't test it, but that should apply to a 50mm on FF 35mm and 80mm on a FF MF like Shelby said... FOV is similar but perspective view is different, right?

That's why MFD have less DOF because you have to get closer to have the same composition and therefore the DOF decreases...

well... maybe I'm completely wrong but to find out I'm going to do a quick test and post images...

S

Shelby Lewis

well... maybe I'm completely wrong but to find out I'm going to do a quick test and post images...
Probably the best way to find out!

What I'm wondering is if FoV and optical magnification are analogues.... that seems as though that would effect subject to camera distance as well. Maybe it has nothing to do with this at all, but given the different sensor sizes, maybe there difference in how the image (scene) has to be "resized" by the lens to cover a given sensor comes into play.

Wish I had enough know-how about optical design to answer those questions!

In the end... I like what I see on MF better, so I guess that's REALLY what matters, huh? :D:D

Guy Mancuso

Let's not forget 4/3 may have a lot to do with it as well which is a far better format for head and shoulders type work in my view. I know that can be disputed but I really have grown to love the 4/3 ratio over 3/2 ratio

aldo

I made a really quick test, nothing fancy, I just shoot my assistance (sorry, she has a bad hair day :angel: ) with a Nikon D700, f/8, ISO 200 (red square) and with a Hasselbald H4D-40, f/8, ISO 200 at 35mm, 50mm and 70mm. Same subject-camera distance.

I upsampled the nikon images about 148% (so the head size would be the same) and tried to align them accordingly.

I found that both had the same perspective view... and of course the angle of view is wider with the hasselblad... I also found the DOF to be exactly the same.

The next couple images are Nikon 50mm f/5.6 and hasselblad 80mm f/5.6 with similar composition. Of course I had to get closer with the hasselblad to get the same framing. I can say that a 80mm on a MF doesn't have the same perspective view or DOF as a 50mm on a FF 35mm DSLR. On the nikon image the head looks a little distorted, so I think shelby was right saying that the look (and perspective view due compression) of the 80mm was different to the 50mm of the 35mm DSLR...

I shoot the last 2 hand held at 1/250th. That's why the nikon looks a little sharper

I uploaded the full 40MP jpegs here if you want to look at the details too:

35mm Nikon+Hasseblad
35mm Hasseblad
50mm Nikon+Hasseblad
50mm Hasseblad
70mm Nikon+Hasseblad
70mm Hasseblad
50mm Nikon + 80mm Hasseblad
80mm Hasseblad

S

Shelby Lewis

A phase p30+ sample

First... thanks Aldo for the test. Very helpful indeed!

Ok... so here's a phase sample from the same shoot as above. I'm hesitant to post it because the lighting conditions had changed pretty drastically (sun to rain) and the only way to attempt "equalize" them was through some heavy post work. A few things noticeable to me

• 10 less megapixels is evident. Not hugely, but evident, especially in the way hair texture renders.

• In PS CS3, phase files look horrible, IMO... so I output the phase sample from RAW developer, just like the aptus II-8. The WB on both was eyeballed (Sorry!)... so take that for what it's worth. The phase file was a bit underexposed, but I find it had a bit less DR than the aptus... most noticeable in the hair on top of the head.

• Even using RD as the converter, the Aptus file is indeed nicer for people. It has a certain rendering of skin that is really, really nice. That said, the p30+ wasn't bad at all... but it was more difficult to get the same look.

• speaking of same look... know that by the time we put the phase back on the camera, we had gone from bright weather (but shooting in the shade), to rain. So I had shade that was MUCH less "broad". I tried to equalize that somewhat i post, but I'll admit it... the light during the Phase shots just wasn't NEAR as nice (which sucks).

Ok.. enough talk...

I love the phase file... but the Aptus file, in my very limited experience, is state of the art when it comes to shooting skin. That said... the phase file was at ISO400 and fairly noise-free while the aptus was a noisy 200. Tradeoffs!!!

S

Shelby Lewis

Please understand that these are the first aptus ii-8 and p30+ files I've EVER processed... so making statements based on my post processing (with non-dedicated software!) is something to do at your own risk!

That said... there are differences...

S

Shelby Lewis

And a neutral phase file

A "neutral" p30+ file with no real post work except exposure and highlight/shadow adjustments to maximize the histogram... plus a resize and sharpening. WB taken from the third gray patch on the bottom row from the left.

fotografz

I think this is just a result of flatter lighting and post work outside of C1 Pro. Hard to evaluate due to lighting changes and ISO shifts.

C1 has an amazing ability to control skin tones and color. In C1 I think the differences may be less.

Shelby, if I recall correctly, you are pretty good at LR3 and like to use it. Have you tried these files there? Like you I tend to do wedding stuff in LR because of the workflow and array of tools. I'd be interested in your observations.

-Marc

Guy Mancuso

Yea have to agree Leaf and Phase files will be much better to control in C1. Also you maybe seeing the slight difference between Dalsa and Kodak. My P40+ has nicer skin tones than the Kodak P30+ or maybe better said like more range as the Kodak is more Kodachrome looking. Reason I said maybe desaturate just ever so slightly with the P30+. Also the Leaf in this case is a newer breed of sensor as well which I like these 6 micron sensors better. Seems to have more DR and tonal range over the 6.8. That is not a scientific comment but this Aptus II-8 uses the same P40+ sensor I believe.

Steve Hendrix

Yea have to agree Leaf and Phase files will be much better to control in C1. Also you maybe seeing the slight difference between Dalsa and Kodak. My P40+ has nicer skin tones than the Kodak P30+ or maybe better said like more range as the Kodak is more Kodachrome looking. Reason I said maybe desaturate just ever so slightly with the P30+. Also the Leaf in this case is a newer breed of sensor as well which I like these 6 micron sensors better. Seems to have more DR and tonal range over the 6.8. That is not a scientific comment but this Aptus II-8 uses the same P40+ sensor I believe.

Yes, the Leaf Aptus II 8 uses the same sensor (minus Sensor Plus technology) as far as I know. There are certainly differences in how skin tones are rendered between the Kodak and Dalsa sensors, not to mention between various raw processing programs. A Leaf Aptus II 8 file, processed in Leaf Capture, produces a wonderful skin rendering. There is most certainly a secret sauce that handles color and density gradations in a very natural (yes it's been termed film-like) and appealing manner, compared to other products.

Knowing the lay of the land when it comes to some of the rather cryptic under-the-hood color settings in Leaf Capture can also be an advantage. ;)

Steve Hendrix