The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A Short Learning Experience in MF (p30+ and Aptus II-8)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yes Steve I have never used Leaf Capture myself but the new Leaf backs can use either C1 or Leaf Capture which is pretty dang nice as they are both fully supported. End of day for me at least is I really like this Dalsa sensor better than anything I have had. When the P40+ first came out as reported on this forum I was not real happy with the color at all but as Phase kept updating C1 with new P40+ profiles and after my third time with it I just had to have it and bought it or maybe I should say i was not sending it back to Dave. LOL

Jack and I both came from the Kodak 6.8 sensors with the P45+ and P30+ to obviously to the P65 and P40 and we both agree there is a difference in look and we both really like the Dalsa better. Now not to say we don't like the Kodaks it is just different and maybe the best way I can describe it is saturated color and leans to the warm side. Kodachrome

The Dalsa just seems more neutral. The only real comparison to the Aptus and P40+ really comes down to feature sets. I wanted the sensor plus

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Honestly I would find a way to get a P40+ first go steal a P25 off someone for cheap and upgrade for maybe only a 14k net purchase. That's a screaming deal. Not sure of Leaf's promotions right now but worth looking at.

S

Shelby Lewis

Honestly I would find a way to get a P40+ first go steal a P25 off someone for cheap and upgrade for maybe only a 14k net purchase. That's a screaming deal. Not sure of Leaf's promotions right now but worth looking at.
Not gonna happen... I'm already gonna be a full time music doctoral student.... with all that entails as far as finances. I'm stretching to get myself set up for a used P30+ purchase (money-wise)... any further is basically an impossibility at this point. I'm also gonna have to come into this game with an RZ, both because I like it and because the DF is so freakin' expensive. I'm only gonna swing it due to some financial wrangling with some school expenses, a gear sell-off, and some unexpected money that's come my way lately... plus it WILL help me earn money while a student... which takes a bit of the sting off the purchase.

The bundle deals are compelling... as are the upgrade deals... but I'm coming into this a piece at a time as a first time customer. If some miracle happens and I can afford a newer back, so be it... but I'm not banking on it.

Oh... and my wife is also gonna be in school full-time too and I have three kids.

Priorities, priorities. :D:D:D (ie, I still haven't ruled out a ZD :ROTFL:)

Steve Hendrix

Guy

Sorry but the pricing you quoted is not accurate. OMG, it's less! :D

Upgrade from P25 to P40+ is $9,990.

Steve Hendrix

tjv

I've shot a P30+ only once and very briefly on an older AFDII body. The files were great, very good highlight detail and tonal separation, but I found the colour a bit odd. Like Guy has mentioned, it was a little warm and biased to the red / magenta from memory. I've long lost the files, though. Good luck.

S

Shelby Lewis

I think this is just a result of flatter lighting and post work outside of C1 Pro. Hard to evaluate due to lighting changes and ISO shifts.

C1 has an amazing ability to control skin tones and color. In C1 I think the differences may be less.

Shelby, if I recall correctly, you are pretty good at LR3 and like to use it. Have you tried these files there? Like you I tend to do wedding stuff in LR because of the workflow and array of tools. I'd be interested in your observations.

-Marc
Hey Marc... agree with everything your say above. Steve showed me some pretty amazing ways to adjust skin-tones globally (or not) in C1. VERY impressed.

I've not upgraded to LR3 yet. Believe it or not... I'm still on a last generation g5 Dual Powermac (powerPC). It usably fast due to the processors, graphic card, and maxed ram, for everything I currently need it for... but it's OLD. LR3 won't even run on it, so I've been trudging along with LR 2.x.

I have a newer macbook for the family, but I don't use it for editing.

School starts next week and I'm FINALLY ordering new computers (at apple educational prices, yeah!) to pre-empt my camera upgrades. Yet ANOTHER decision to make :ROTFL: Maxed out 17" or 15" Macbook pro + nice external monitor (NEC probably) ... or cheap macbook for travel/location plus a middle-spec'd powermac at the editing desk. Probably gonna go with the MBP due to the space constraint I'm fighting in our small married-student-housing apartment. Plus I can tether on location with it and still have a decent screen.

I should have LR3 within 2 weeks and I'll get back to you!

B

Ben Norton

Shelby,

If you're even considering a Leaf back then you can set yourself up with a VERY cheap RZ kit through places like KEH. The Leaf Aptus will work on the RZ, RZ Pro II and Pro IID with a third party adaptor plate. You could set yourself up with a cheap Pro II body, RZ to Mamiya 645 adaptor plate and get the Mamiya fit digi back.
That way, you're all set to move into the AF/DF body when money affords it.

I don't think i spent more than $1200-$1300 on an RZ Pro II body, grip, motor drive and 8 lenses. All works great and the kit was in great condition.

Food for thought. :)

fotografz

Shelby,

If you're even considering a Leaf back then you can set yourself up with a VERY cheap RZ kit through places like KEH. The Leaf Aptus will work on the RZ, RZ Pro II and Pro IID with a third party adaptor plate. You could set yourself up with a cheap Pro II body, RZ to Mamiya 645 adaptor plate and get the Mamiya fit digi back.
That way, you're all set to move into the AF/DF body when money affords it.

I don't think i spent more than $1200-$1300 on an RZ Pro II body, grip, motor drive and 8 lenses. All works great and the kit was in great condition.

Food for thought. :)
I'd hurry if thinking of doing this type of buy ... if these RZ33 get going in sales, the lenses may start jumping in price ... at least some of the more desirable ones.

Desert for thought : -)

-Marc

B

Ben Norton

Ha! Very true... shrewd shopping is required!

Coffee and Cigars

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Port is good, but let's not forget Single Malts. Glen Morangie and a Monte Cristo #2 is a great combo ;)

fotografz

Port is good, but let's not forget Single Malts. Glen Morangie and a Monte Cristo #2 is a great combo ;)
Actually, all that stuff is off limits until I peel off another 20lbs ... 25lbs gone, another 20 to go ...

I'm photographing my ex-fiance's wedding, and I am NOT going as Mr. Fatty McFatty from Fotografz ... :ROTFL:

-Marc

neil

I'd hurry if thinking of doing this type of buy ... if these RZ33 get going in sales, the lenses may start jumping in price ... at least some of the more desirable ones.

Desert for thought : -)

-Marc
I agree with this... I just caught the RZ bug and picked up a set of lens and a few bodies. I just could not believe the price/value combination.

It all started when I tried my Hasselblad CVF39 digital back on an RZ pro 2body with a RZ Macro M140mm f/4.5M/L-A lens. I paid 40 dollars for the lens. Put the lens to wide open pointed it at a newspaper stuck on the wall. Was amazed to find all 4 corners sharp wide open. Pointed it out of the window at the side of an apartment over the road. Did the same and found all 4 corners sharp. Realised the lens is the best Macro lens I have.

Tried the same with my 2000 dollar CFE 120 Hasselblad V lens and could not get the same performance until I stopped down to f11.

Rushed out and bought twelve more RZ lens and a couple of RZpro2 bodies and some other bits and pieces.

There are some really good lens. The RZ ULD M50mm, the RZ 65 F/4L-A, the RZ Macro M140mm F4.5M/L-A are really very good. Again only a few hundred dollars.

Really pleased with the RZ system.

Regards

Neil

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Don't forget the 37 fish and the 100-200 zoom, both are amazingly excellent. And no RZ kit is complete without the TS adapter and 75 and 180 short mount lenses! Finally, add an AE CHIMNEY finder if you can find one -- VERY useful accessory for the macro and TS lenses when shooting product!