The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya 500 f/4.5 APO

pesto

Has anyone here had any direct experience with this lens on a digital camera? I had one several years ago and it was absolutely superb on a film camera but wonder about using it with a digital back; sometimes film seemed more "forgiving" than digital. I thought it wise to inquire before I pull the trigger.
Thank you for your thoughts.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I have NOT had direct experience on digital, but it was very good with film. I have been thinking about getting one myself and suspect it will be very good on digital as well, but probably will exhibit more CA where digital is less forgiving. Fortunately, that's easily correctable.

pesto

Jack,
My concerns are more directed toward vibration problems. Given that I will not have the luxury of mirror pre release coupled with the rather violent disposition of the mirror in my example of the P1 DF, I am, shall we say...ill at ease. I also have a 300 f/2.8 and it does quite well with respect to vibration and CA, so I am tempted.

Thanks for your thoughts,

DAB

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Ah, tough call then. I suspect the only way is to try and see. There are all the other usual tricks, like sand bag over the lens/tripod junction, weight hanging underneath the tripod, etc. Good news is it's f4.5 and sharp wide open, so if the light is decent you'll have good shutter speeds at ISO 200...

pesto

Jack,
I have many fond memories of shooting seals, puffins, auklets, and other species in the Pribiloffs all the while hanging over (off!?!) sheer and very windy cliffs all the while trying to hold onto my new and rediculously expensive toy....err... lens, that is....ah, to be young, and maybe not quite so foolish, once again!!!

DAB