The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

clean that sensor! how?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I use the Leaf wipes and eclipse 2 with the spatula that Phase provides with there backs. Works good. CI has the Leaf wipes.

But I do use canned air but not sure I recommend it since it can be dangerous. Don't ever use a full can to start with and hold the can straight move the lens or the sensor not the can. But I have been doing this a long time and you really need to be careful.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
FWIW, I carry a bulb blower in my bag and use it after a day in the field. So far has worked great, basically as good as canned air for me. However, I think being able to remove the back helps; the bulb never worked as well getting into a DSLR throat as canned air did.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Little trick if you use canned air in the mirror box never aim straight at the mirror aim at the side wall of the mirror box. This way if it spews it hits the wall not the mirror. Again you have to be a little nuts like me to do these things. LOL

thomas

FWIW, I carry a bulb blower in my bag and use it after a day in the field.
I think that's a good advice. My feeling is that I have much less trouble with sensor dust spots when working with the tech camera than with the 645 camera. As strange as it sounds...
As I have to remove the back from the tech camera all the time it's somehow an automatism to blow over the sensor or quickly wipe it with a brush. Don't use a blower though, but a small brush (Kinetronics/anti static).

Don Libby

I think that's a good advice. My feeling is that I have much less trouble with sensor dust spots when working with the tech camera than with the 645 camera. As strange as it sounds...
As I have to remove the back from the tech camera all the time it's somehow an automatism to blow over the sensor or quickly wipe it with a brush. Don't use a blower though, but a small brush (Kinetronics/anti static).
I agree. I've never had that much of a problem w/my P45+ and Cambo and that's even with switching out lenses in the middle of Monument Valley. I've also found the hand held blower the best method of removing any dust, just remember to hold the back upside down and blow it off.

etrump

I'm a little surprised I didn't read my method so here is my two cents.

Blower bulb
Sensor scope
and Sensor pen if the blower leaves anything

I have been using this method since a Canon tech told me that is how they do it in the repair facilities.

Analog6

I have some of those sensor pens but have been a bit wary of using them on the P20 - maybe next time. At least you can see the darned thing, not like a 35mm sensor buried way down in the black hole . . .

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
I'm a little surprised I didn't read my method so here is my two cents.

Blower bulb
Sensor scope
and Sensor pen if the blower leaves anything

I have been using this method since a Canon tech told me that is how they do it in the repair facilities.
Personally I wouldn't trust it just because Canon tech says so. Their "goal" would be no visible specs, and no obvious dust spots in a test shot. That doesn't mean it's clean.

Sensor pen may pick up a big visible spot and may be useful, but I've seen them leave a "smudge". I'd clean the sensor after using one just to make sure it was really clean. a mfdb is so easy to clean, only takes a couple of minutes at most.