The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

MF moire - good plugin to use?

faneuil

On interior shoot this weekend -included shots of a video installation in a bathroom!

Got moderate moire artifacts on the image of the HD screen (from high res pixels interacting with sensor)
Other than capure 1 software, any demoire plugins for photoshop that work?
any PS tricks that work well?

thanks
Eric
www.korenman.com

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
There are two types of moiré -- color and pattern -- which type are you dealing with? Of the two, color is easier to handle where pattern is tough.

Personally, I find C1 deals with both better than anything else. However, there is one CS trick for isolated areas of color moiré I sometimes use. First, isolate the area you want to attack with an appropriate mask. Now take this area, duplicate it on its own layer, blur that layer with Gaussian to about 6 pixels (experiment with radius to suit your situation) and apply. Now simply change the blend mode of that layer to "Color" instead of normal.

faneuil

thanks - int he past I have tried the gaussian blue / color blend mode trick which sort of works with color moire.
I seem to be dealing with both color and pattern as I am still getting grey banding on some of the worst moire images.

I am going back to shoot another room that wasn't ready, so I could reshoot the room with the HD TV installation. (TV image needs to be on).
Any tricks to avoid moire in the first place. I imagine slight defocus during exposure would help.

btw, thanks Jack for the quick replies

Eric

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
thanks - int he past I have tried the gaussian blue / color blend mode trick which sort of works with color moire.
I seem to be dealing with both color and pattern as I am still getting grey banding on some of the worst moire images.

I am going back to shoot another room that wasn't ready, so I could reshoot the room with the HD TV installation. (TV image needs to be on).
Any tricks to avoid moire in the first place. I imagine slight defocus during exposure would help.

btw, thanks Jack for the quick replies

Eric
If the moiré is from a live monitor in the image, try using a longer exposure -- like 1/8th second or slower -- which usually eliminates it. You can do a second slightly defocused frame at the same time then blend the bad areas in during post.

Note: blue channel isn't the only one where color moiré sits, it also is usually present in the red channel too, so why I do it on all three channels. The blue channel trick is good for exposure or ISO noise though.

Dustbak

During the take there are several things you can try, defocussing is one of the last I would try.

1) Change your perspective and distance somewhat
2) Try another f-stop
3) Go beyond f16 to introduce diffraction which you can counteract with a bit more aggressive sharpening. I would go this way before defocussing.
4) Try the same perspective but a bit wider lens, can only be done if you have enough pixels to crop away whatever you have too much.
5) The very best is to use multishot and even than I sometimes have moire. I actually use moire in the single shot to know for sure that the sharpness is where I want it. What has moire is definitely sharp :) Every multishot take has an accompanying single shot.
6) In post processing I use the Phocus moire tool and export to layered PSD. I sure hope they will finally introduce being able to do much more aggressive moire reduction and exporting to layered PSD with a black mask on top of the layer with moire reduction!
7) In PS you can blur on another layer and put it to color
8) Select the color you need and use the color replacement brush to brush it in which works very fast as well.

There are a bunch of other methods I can think of that could be of help but the best way to go is not get it in the first place.

thomas

2 more:
http://av.adobe.com/russellbrown/GoAwaySM.mov
http://www.dbphoto.net/techniques/moire/index.html

I do basically the same as outlined above... blur the color on a separate layer (only in the affected area). However I mostly use a noise reduction plugin for that instead of gaussian blur as I feel it gives me more control (and colors do not "wash out" that much). But it's basically the same principle as blur.
Occasionally I use the technique #2 of the Russel Brown video above.. but it depends.
Never used the technique of the dbphoto site... just bookmarked the site to have it at hand if I need it...