The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

In the glorious Southwest USA with a tech camera, Part I-IV merged

vieri

Hello everyone,

you might remember me asking about wether bringing my Phase setup or my tech camera with me for my 1-month long trip in the US last July. Well, as the title of this thread suggest, I ended up bringing the tech camera with me - and didn't regret it for a second... with only a small caveat. First of all, traveling and hiking a little with a 20+ lbs backpack was ok, despite the heat; in the bag I had:
- Silvestri Bicam II + Flexibellows, sliding adapter, Phase P65+, 4 extra batteries;
- Rodenstock 28mm, Schneider 47mm, Schneider 90mm;
- Panasonic GF1, 20mm, 7-14mm, 45-200mm, various filters;
- Gitzo tripod + Cube;
- Water, flashlights, radio, compass, leatherman multitools, energy bars, etc.
Setting up the camera for a shot took me about 3-5 minutes from unloading the pack from my shoulders to being ready to fire, which is not at all bad: the camera was ready in the bag without lens, so unload the tripod, open it, level the cube, take camera off bag, mount it on tripod, take lens off bag, mount it on camera, take filters (if needed), mount them on lens. Very easy. I also found very easy to frame my shot with the bellow & loupe, as well as focusing with the ground glass. A lot could be said for the feeling that looking in the loupe in the dark, opening the lens and seeing that huge reverse image on the glass gives you: no finders on any dSLR-like camera comes even close to the view you get on LF cameras, and the MF+tech camera solution is the closest thing to that in the digital realm: I loved it, to put it shortly. It makes it very easy as well to position filters and check their effect; the only backside is the ability to see well frame edges, when light isn't abundant that is not always easy.
Shot-to-shot times weren't also a problem; the whole cock-the-shutter, wake-the-back (the P65+ doesn't need it, but the weather was very hot so I'd rather have it as cool as possible), take-the-shot and repeat routine, takes very little to get used to and is very easy to do without having to take your eyes from the loupe and without looking at the lens. Also, I really loved the sliding back adaptor and the stitching capabilities that it offers: sliding the back means not having to move the lens, which means much easier stitching in PP, and the Southwest is very conducive to the 2:1 or 3:1 landscape ratio.
I will post pictures as they get ready; so far, I PP'd some Cathedral Rock (Sedona) and the lot from the Grand Canyon (South Rim). Here a few samples:

more images can be found here.

Hope this was of some interest! :D

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Re: In the glorious Southwest USA with a tech camera

Great job Vieri you captured my home turf really well. You forgot one thing to take me home with you, only 109 today. I am so DONE with the heat I can't begin to tell ya.

Don Libby

Please allow me to echo what Guy said above.

You've captured stunning images from Sedona and one of my all times places to hang out, the Grand Canyon.

Getting very tired of the heat - only 6 weeks till I leave for Jackson Hole WY and cooler temps.

Very pleased you enjoyed the visit!

Don

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Awesome portfolio of images Vieri, congrats!

Leigh

Absolutely beautiful, Vieri.

Thanks for sharing.

- Leigh

jotloob

Subscriber Member

What wonderful images . Not only the images , but also the presentation .
Thank you Vieri for showing your great work .:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
Jürgen

vieri

Great job Vieri you captured my home turf really well. You forgot one thing to take me home with you, only 109 today. I am so DONE with the heat I can't begin to tell ya.
Thank you Guy, glad you enjoyed! As far as the heat - I hear you man, all the trip was very hot but Death Valley (images to come soon) topped it all! At 8 a.m., it was already 111 F... :eek: Not that here in istanbul is much better - about 92 F here today, but humidity is killing me (around 95%!), at least over there it's dry... well, not much of a difference once you are cooked to death to know wether you died stewed or roasted! :ROTFL:

Please allow me to echo what Guy said above.

You've captured stunning images from Sedona and one of my all times places to hang out, the Grand Canyon.

Getting very tired of the heat - only 6 weeks till I leave for Jackson Hole WY and cooler temps.

Very pleased you enjoyed the visit!

Don
Thank you Don! Glad you liked them :D I enjoyed the trip a LOT, and can't wait to be back... which it might be sooner than I expected, we'll see. :rolleyes: It would be great to have one more go at the landscape there!

Awesome portfolio of images Vieri, congrats!
Thank you very much Jack! I really appreciate it :D

Absolutely beautiful, Vieri.

Thanks for sharing.

- Leigh
Thank you for posting Leigh, i am happy you liked them :D

Gorgeous ...
Thank you Kurt! :D

What wonderful images . Not only the images , but also the presentation .
Thank you Vieri for showing your great work :thumbup::thumbup:
Jürgen
Thank you Jurgen, glad you enjoyed! :D

ptomsu

Workshop Member

Awesome results! Really stunning!

Peter

MikeScecina

Workshop Member

Vieri,
The grand panorama is stunning. Dante Alighieri would recognize the scene.
Congratulations.
mike

Bob

Administrator
Staff member

Vieri,
Absolutely wonderful set!
I am very glad your agonizing over gear paid off so well.
-bob

vieri

Awesome results! Really stunning!

Peter
Thank you Peter! :D

Your photos are fantastic. I can't wait to see more.
Thank you very much Cindy, will post "part 2" as I progress with the editing :)

Great outstanding shots there, you did very good job, well done!!!
Thank you Tareq, i am glad you enjoyed them :D

Vieri,
The grand panorama is stunning. Dante Alighieri would recognize the scene.
Congratulations.
mike
Very true Mike, indeed many places in the SW USA has a "Dante-ish" feel to them - wether hell-ish or heaven-ish! Thank you, glad you enjoyed them :D

Vieri,
Absolutely wonderful set!
I am very glad your agonizing over gear paid off so well.
-bob
Hey Bob, thank you very much, glad you liked the set :D about the tech camera, using it in the field I understand that I kinda knew from the get-go that this was the way I wanted to go - all the agonizing over the decision and all the opinions and help I got from the forum and elsewhere helped (I found out later) to reinforce a decision that I had sort of already made. I was really happy to have brought this gear though, so happy that as soon as I got back I upgraded the Silvestri to a Linhof Techno! :D Thank you again both for your nice word over the set and for the help in making my decision :D

vieri

In the Southwest - Part II

Here it is, the second installment of images from my recent trip in the Southwest USA - this time, Little painted Desert, Canyon de Chelly, Petrified Forest (though due to park opening hours the light wasn't really great there), and Monument Valley (a classic, but one can't help being amazed by the views there!).

more images from this second installment can be found here. Thanks for looking, I hope you enjoyed! :D

Professional

Re: In the Southwest - Part II

Again, another fantastic terrific shots, i prefer this series here than the first one.

Keep up your work!!!

Tareq

Terry

Re: In the Southwest - Part II

Well done Vieri. While monument valley is always photogenic I like the first Painted Desert shot the best.