The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

In the glorious Southwest USA with a tech camera, Part I-IV merged

T

tetsrfun

Does Antelope Canyon require guides again? I haven't been there in a while now, but every time I have been there in the past, I was able to go without a guide.
The last time that I was there, I had read about "required guides" but nothing had changed. Upper was same with "guide" and truck transportation to the canyon and Lower Canyon..pay the fee and walk to the canyon and stay as long as necessary.

Steve

vieri

Thanks Vieri...can you recommend a photog guide for Antelope?
Does Antelope Canyon require guides again? I haven't been there in a while now, but every time I have been there in the past, I was able to go without a guide.
The last time that I was there, I had read about "required guides" but nothing had changed. Upper was same with "guide" and truck transportation to the canyon and Lower Canyon..pay the fee and walk to the canyon and stay as long as necessary.

Steve
It seems there have been constant changes over time then! :D I'll just add my .02... for what is worth, this last month, the situation was:

- Upper, you need to join a tour and be transported by truck to the entrance of the canyon; a guide will be with you the whole time, to the end of the canyon and back; the photographers' tour is much less crowded and last 1.5 hour, while the normal tour is more crowded and goes in and out the canyon real fast (about 30 min);
- Lower, you need to pay the fee at the entrance and get in the canyon with a guide; once in the canyon, you can stay as long as you want (with the photographers' pass) up to 4 hours, can wander in the canyon by yourself - letting the tours pass you when needed - and you don't need to follow a guide nor the other photographers in the tour.

Hope this helps clear the situation at least as of the end of July, 2010 - who knows what the organization will be next month! :ROTFL:

VICTOR BT

vieri, very good works here.
nothing original, countless photos like these have been done, but it is one of the very few times that i was not bored to look at this kind of stuff, actually Very enjoyed. i call it illustrative photography, and many times, with those monumental landscapes, this goes into plain kitsch, kinda ansel adams emitation or postcard styles. in terms of artistic merit, those places are a challenge, they are so great that any photograph is dull compared to actually being there, and even when photographed well, it is tricky to take them beyond plain illustration (in order to add some artistic element "inside-out"), especially with realistic depiction (camera/material techniques). but uve made those illustrations so good - photo-aesthetics with light and sense of place with compositions - makes great impact.

btw, which linhof ? the new tech ?

archivue

On my screen, Monument valley 's pics seems over saturated... but i've never went there, and i wasn't found of velvia stuff also...
Same for the tower of altar...
Is it really that red over there ?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
On my screen, Monument valley 's pics seems over saturated... but i've never went there, and i wasn't found of velvia stuff also...
Well, I was there multiple times and my eyes see it like Vieri shows in his images. If you look at my images they are at least as saturated - and I would not call them over saturated.

It is obviously a matter of taste what amount of saturation one likes. I am definitely not belonging to the species who like pictures so undersaturated that they are almost B&W. ;)

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Vieri,

my congratulations to this great work! I really like it!

Makes me feel I need to get there back pretty soon :)

archivue

"It is obviously a matter of taste what amount of saturation one likes. I am definitely not belonging to the species who like pictures so undersaturated that they are almost B&W. "

yes of course, but there is a balance between oversaturated and undersaturated.
with the advent of digital workflow using profile, charts... we can make pictures that are just neutral... not to say "real colors"... with every king of light.
that wasn't the case with film !

Anyway, i'm pretty shure that it still exists a different in perception... that's also a part of culture !

vieri

vieri, very good works here.
nothing original, countless photos like these have been done, but it is one of the very few times that i was not bored to look at this kind of stuff, actually Very enjoyed. i call it illustrative photography, and many times, with those monumental landscapes, this goes into plain kitsch, kinda ansel adams emitation or postcard styles. in terms of artistic merit, those places are a challenge, they are so great that any photograph is dull compared to actually being there, and even when photographed well, it is tricky to take them beyond plain illustration (in order to add some artistic element "inside-out"), especially with realistic depiction (camera/material techniques). but uve made those illustrations so good - photo-aesthetics with light and sense of place with compositions - makes great impact.

btw, which linhof ? the new tech ?
Hey Victor, I agree with your concerns re: shooting in places that have been shot to death (pun intended), and though this would be matter for a different thread - and an interesting one at that! - until then let me just thank you for your comments, I am glad you enjoyed the images despite their seen-before subject matters :D

Well, I was there multiple times and my eyes see it like Vieri shows in his images. If you look at my images they are at least as saturated - and I would not call them over saturated.

It is obviously a matter of taste what amount of saturation one likes. I am definitely not belonging to the species who like pictures so undersaturated that they are almost B&W. ;)
Vieri,

my congratulations to this great work! I really like it!

Makes me feel I need to get there back pretty soon :)
"It is obviously a matter of taste what amount of saturation one likes. I am definitely not belonging to the species who like pictures so undersaturated that they are almost B&W. "

yes of course, but there is a balance between oversaturated and undersaturated.
with the advent of digital workflow using profile, charts... we can make pictures that are just neutral... not to say "real colors"... with every king of light.
that wasn't the case with film !

Anyway, i'm pretty shure that it still exists a different in perception... that's also a part of culture !
Interesting topic indeed - to me, it basically boils down to perception on one side, and endeavor on the other. What I mean is this: while it is true that with digital (and with film too, using the appropriate filtering) one can white balance for any light and get colors that are "exactly right" according to a grey card in pretty much any light, the question is, would anyone want to do that? My personal answer (and of course YMMV) is that at times, yes I do; in other situations, no thanks. An example: shooting architecture for a client, yes; shooting fine arts, no.

Coming to the photos here, well: there is a reason why they call it "red country", the rocks are indeed red especially after the sun has set and in the last, warmest light of the day. Do I want to correct WB in order to make them look gray or washed out like they look at noon? No, I don't, which is a reason why I don't shoot at noon in the first place; in fact, I even add a warming filter to daylight WB (or even shade WB) to enhance colors and warmth, if I think that it would help with my vision... thing is, I didn't try to be "forensic" here, I tried to record the exaggerate redness of what my eyes were seeing, according to my perception of the colors and my vision of what the final image would look like. That all said and done, for me what it boils down to is: are the images beautiful on their own, rather than are the images a faithful representation of what the place really looks like. Which - lastly - bring the whole thing away from me as the creator of the image and back into the eye of the beholder, where beauty stands (or does not stand): the final outcome of all the philosophic rambling above are pictures, and the final judges of these are those who look at the images and either like them or do not like them. As a final note, I am pretty sure that for every image by any photographer, even the greatest, there are those who do like it and those who don't - nothing is universally considered great by everyone or cr@p by everyone, meaning by the 100% of viewers, no exceptions: what makes one a public success or not, is just a percentage matter...

Might have to do a another Southwest workshop soon here.
Great idea Guy, the Southwest (as little as I have seen of it) looks like a never exhausted mine of photographic opportunity! :D

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Vieri

No explanations needed in my view - this is art after all. I'd love to see the big prints but your images are very enjoyable even at web sizes.

Thank you for sharing! You've inspired me to want to pay the area another visit soon and even got Guy, who lives there, wanting to arrange another workshop. I think that's a job well done. :D