The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One, Mamiya and Profoto Announce First Vertical Grip With Built-in Flash Techno

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Phase One, Mamiya and Profoto Announce First Vertical Grip With Built-in Flash Technology

The Phase One/Mamiya V-Grip Air for Phase One & Mamiya 645DF Cameras was co-developed with Profoto

COPENHAGEN, TOKYO, and STOCKHOLM, August 23, 2010 -- Phase One and Mamiya, leaders in open platform medium format digital camera systems and solutions, and Profoto, the light shaping company, today announced the Phase One/Mamiya V-Grip Air. This is the first product resulting from these companies’ collaboration.

The Phase One/Mamiya V-Grip Air is not only the first vertical grip with a built-in wireless flash trigger; it is also the first and only wireless flash sync solution for a medium format camera system that is capable of delivering sync speeds as fast as 1/1600s. The new V-Grip also offers owners of Phase One and Mamiya 645DF cameras more shooting styles, and delivers longer camera battery life through power integration and easy firmware upgrades.

“Profoto’s innovative flash system technology is legendary in our time,” said Henrik Håkonsson, President and CEO, Phase One. “Profoto’s commitment to system diversity complements Phase One’s open platform approach to ensure photographers have options to choose the best systems to support their unique requirements.”

“Profoto is recognized globally as producing the most innovative flash equipment in the industry” says president of Mamiya Digital Imaging, Toshio Midorikawa. “By combining resources with Profoto, Mamiya and Team Phase One, we are able to offer photographers the most practical tools for their profession.”

Built-in flash technology from Profoto lets photographers trigger a flash simply and wirelessly from the V-grip Air. The wireless flash triggering system is an out-of-the-box solution that works with all current and most modern Profoto flash systems. It is also possible to leverage the wireless flash triggering with other flash brands by using an optional receiver unit from Profoto.

“We share Phase One’s and Mamiya’s passion for pushing the limits for our customers,” said Anders Hedebark, CEO, Profoto. “It is great to be working with companies that lead the medium format market in applied innovation for photographers. Our cooperation in designing the V-grip Air marks the beginning of new and better workflow tools we plan to be offering to professional photographers in the future.”

The V-Grip Air unit features all the same camera controls and functionality as on the 645DF camera. An integrated L-bracket is available for portrait-mode mounting on a stand. The unit runs on the same type of battery used in Phase One and Leaf digital backs with a backup option to use standard AA type batteries.

Pricing/Availability
The Phase One/Mamiya V-Grip Air for Phase One and Mamiya 645DF camera systems is priced at $1290/€990. An L-bracket/handstrap standalone package is $299/€229. Products may be ordered from Phase One, Leaf and Mamiya partners. Please see: http://www.phaseone.com/v-grip or http://www.leaf-photography.com/products_v_grip_phaseone_645df.asp. For Phase One partner information, please see: Phase One: http://www.phaseone.com/partners.

The Profoto transceiver is $199/ €149 and is available from Profoto. More information is available at http://www.profoto.com.

About Profoto
Photographers know Profoto as the “light shaping company.” Founded in 1968 in Stockholm by photographer and engineer Eckhard Heine and photo-equipment retailer Conny Dufgran, Profoto has achieved a worldwide reputation for the precision and reliability of its products and the innovation of its technology. Profoto equipment is used by the world’s leading photographers.
For more information about Profoto products, please see http://www.profoto.com/.

About Mamiya
Mamiya is a world renowned manufacturer of medium format cameras and lenses with 70 years of dedication to the professional photography industry. Mamiya’s products are endorsed by photographers globally for their durability, quality and flexibility. Mamiya has its head office in Tokyo and is represented by local dealers on all continents. More company information is available at: Mamiya.com.

Mamiya and Mamiya Digital Imaging are registered trademarks of Mamiya Digital Imaging Co., Ltd. All other brand or product names mentioned in this document are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.

About Phase One
Phase One is the world’s leader in open-platform based medium format camera systems and solutions. Phase One medium format cameras, digital backs and lenses are designed to deliver superior quality image capture and investment value. Phase One’s Capture One software helps streamline capture and post-production processes for both medium format and DSLR cameras. Phase One products are known for their quality, flexibility and speed enabling pro photographers shooting in a wide range of formats to achieve their creative visions without compromise. For more information about the products, visit the Phase One web site on http://phaseone.com.

Phase One is an employee-owned company based in Copenhagen with offices in New York, London, Tokyo, Cologne and Shanghai.

Phase One is a registered trademark of Phase One A/S. All other brand or product names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.

# # #

PR Contacts:

Phase One and Mamiya
Kathy Madison
Arcand & Madison PR
[email protected]
+1 781-259-1764

Profoto
[email protected]

Note to editors: product images are available at: http://www.phaseone.com/en/News/Press-Room/Product-Shots.aspx and upon request.

Guy Mancuso

Ah man this is going to cost me , now I need Profotos. LOL

Contact your favorite dealer folks for orders . Oh Dave put me on the list. LOL

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
http://www.captureintegration.com/2010/08/23/phase-one-v-grip-air/

Watch the videos in particular as it's easier to understand some of the cool features and parts/pieces included in the price if you see them.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work

Guy Mancuso

Just watched them Doug awesome you had them up for us. Need to look into the receiver for my elinchroms. But I did get a Skyport speed transmitter the other day and just bought the 80 LS from CI today so in a couple days i can test to see if it will will work like this without the vertical grip than when the vertical grip comes just get a receiver or stay with the skyport. Thanks Yair for pointing that out.

Gives me a couple options until I get a vertical grip in hand. I will report about the elinchrom speed transmitter since this is very new as well but I think I can sync very high shutter speeds with it. Still want the V grip regardless. Just finding a way around buying Profotos

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I can't see how to use the vertical grip and mount the camera on a tripod with an arca plate HORIZONTALLY.
Doug, does that work?
thanks
-bob

arashm

^^^

I was thinking the same thing?
do you need an additional plate for the bottom of the grip?
or is that the second part that comes with the "L" bracket??
thanks
am

LJL

Looks like you just need to either remove or move the handstrap and then ou could use that threaded socket. I started to wonder why you would want to mount the camera in horizontal mode with the vertical grip, then realized it is the extra battery power and the Profoto Air triggering that really make this accessory attractive....duh ;-) (Would love something like that built into the Canon 1-series bodies already also, rather than having to mount the control device atop on the hot shoe. Very cool design.)

LJ

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
We sent in our dealer purchase order for a batch of Phase One V-Grip Airs this afternoon to ensure we get some of the very first that are shipped. We're accepting pre-order deposites (20%) at our eStore and I suspect that we will have more pre-orders than our first batch.

Personal Work

KETCH ROSSI

Very Nice, thanks for sharing Guy, totally cool news, in case I move to the DF body, but this it gives an incentive to me.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I can't see how to use the vertical grip and mount the camera on a tripod with an arca plate HORIZONTALLY.
Doug, does that work?
-bob
The bottom of the grip is a normal tripod thread mount which appears to be partially obscured by the hand strap. It's not clear from the images and descriptions if you could just pull the strap a bit towards the side to access a quick release plate on that tripod thread mount.

Also not clear if the bottom tripod mount has the same two anchor hole points as the DF camera body's bottom mount. One of the dealer-info images shows it without those anchor holes but I'm hoping that's just a mockup image and the actual shipping product will have the traditional Mamiya anti-slip holes so we can all use our existing quick release plates.

I'll try to get answers to those questions ASAP for you.

Personal Work

Last edited:

PeterA

The addition of this vertical grip makes the body now handholdable for me (my hand was too large for the curent body) - the extra functionality of trigger for flash is a nice innovation - the bringing on of the LS series lenses is another positive. Alpa are making a cable which should improve working with Phase backs - another positve.

Increasingly functional disparity between major players is decreasing - good work Phase and food for thought.

Guy Mancuso

Well I bought the 80 LS today so not feeling like a lost child anymore. Have to keep the train running. LOL

BTW hope to have this and any other announced items at our October workshop for folks to try.