The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

sensor size and focal length

danlindberg

I have tried a search but....I'll ask here instead.

Is there a simple way to calculate different focal lengths so that I can understand them in 35mm terms?

Hasselblad is offering three different sizes (I think) of their sensors, therefore it would be nice to know how the 35-90 would change depending on choice of sensor.

Maybe a rookie question, but would a large format 50 lens, a medium format 50 lens and a 35mm 50 lens all "be the same" on any given digital back?

A

Alexander DeVoe

You're very welcome. Of course now you're morally obligated to buy a Phase One instead of a Hasselblad.

:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:
Haha, good try. That vertical grip with built in flash sync to 1/1600 is a bit more convincing however. hah. :ROTFL:

-Alex

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Maybe a rookie question, but would a large format 50 lens, a medium format 50 lens and a 35mm 50 lens all "be the same" on any given digital back?
Yes absolutely. The only thing that matters is the sensor size and the focal length. Whether an SLR lens or a large format lens does not matter.

The only caveat is when you start using Technical Cameras (e.g. Cambo Wide RS) and you're able to stitch 2 or more images (without moving the lens) you're "effectively" increasing the size of the sensor. Then you need to consider the movements involved.