The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase 110mm LS / Having bad thoughts

Tim Ernst

I do agree with David about freezing the gin for personal consumption (only problem is that the entire bottle goes down so fast and smooth that way that it never lasts very long), however it is best at room temperature for the testing so you can see even the smallest ripples in the surface from shutter vibrations.

Hey Paul, does that mean you may start having open houses on Friday PMs? Might be a good time to call up and make a deal on a new Alpa, ha! (Make sure that you keep the bottle in the freezer until AFTER you align my back tomorrow, ey!).

O

Optechs Digital

OK Tim,

I will shim it first and then run a three jigger shutter vibration test on it.....

Best Paul

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I hope the hangover is cured before you get to shimming mine :)
3 jiggers of GOOD gin is hardly hangover material... Heck, 3 of Bob or David or Guy style MARTINIS is not hangover material! :ROTFL:

PS: Paul, are you shimming the jigger or the Alpa???

bensonga

Progressing through time and gear:
Like I said not sure where I am going with this but I THINK I finally hit a point of being CONTENT....<snip>....At the end of the day or bottom line regardless of brand I am actually happy NOW. Tomorrow who the hell knows. LOL
Thanks Tim I made a switch in my plan and ordered the 55mm LS first but this is next for sure. I went through a whole scenario of options for me and thought the 55mm LS right now would be a better option but I still want the 110 LS.
Whew.....you had us worried there for awhile Guy. Glad to know that our fearless leader is still drinking the GAS koolaid, just like the rest of us. :)

Bad thoughts....keep 'em coming. It might be the only thing that pulls us out of this economic slump. :thumbs:

Gary

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Well done Gary !!!!! :clap::clap::clap:
. . . She says as she is contemplating the 28mm, 55 LS, 80 LS, 110 LS, and 150D for her "small kit" for the DF Body as a compliment to the Tech Cam, Lenses and Back!!! ;)

:)

:thumbs:

David Klepacki

So bottom line on the lens creep issue, it is pretty much a non issue for me since it only happens when the lens or body is set to MF mode or a close-up extension tube is used AND the lens is pointed pretty much straight up or straight down. At a 45 degree angle even with tubes, the lens does not creep.
So in general, if no tubes are in use, just set the body and lens to AF and the Custom settings to AF only on the AF button press and not on a shutter half press and it is just fine.
-bob
You are lucky. I tried to use the 110LS with extension tubes for some macro work, where the lens happens to be pointed straight down. Of course, the lens creeps every single time and could not be used for this type of work. This means that the 120 macro lens is still needed in addition to this lens if you want to do some close up photography. I still think the 110LS lens is flawed because of this behavior. There was no such disclosure when purchasing this lens that it could not be used with tubes for macro work.

Terry

. . . She says as she is contemplating the 28mm, 55 LS, 80 LS, 110 LS, and 150D for her "small kit" for the DF Body as a compliment to the Tech Cam, Lenses and Back!!! ;)

:)

:thumbs:
Hah - First off my body (at least for the next four days) is only an AFD III....:p
My only other lenses will be two cast offs or sloppy seconds as I like to refer to them.... :eek:

Actually my small (which does not equate to cheap :rolleyes:) kit is sort of decided 28, 80, 75-150

My tech camera arrives tomorrow...(it went from Phoenix to Albuquerque, to Lexington KY, to Oakland). For now it is a one lens kit with a 35. Haven't gotten my mind around what the best second lens will be for me. What are you using on your Alpa?

David Klepacki

OK thanks - I was hoping that vibration issues would be reduced by using a leaf shutter lens, but I guess that is not the case. Oh well...
Tim,

On my DF camera, when I use mirror up and the CF settings to use leaf shutter only, the focal plane shutter is not used during image capture. The focal plane shutter appears to open when the mirror is locked up. There seems to be much less vibration in the shot, since only the leaf shutter is used.

David

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
What are you using on your Alpa?
I started with the 47mm, then added the 90mm. My next move will be 28 or 35 (or maybe the new 32 from Rodenstock). I am waiting to see the new Schneider 28 and the new Rodenstock. The 70/72 & 120 are tempting as well.

But don't be in a hurry to get lenses for the tech cam. You can do so much with just one lens, you'll see. Also, I am beginning to suspect that it is a bit of an art pairing lens brand/make/focal length to Sensor brand/model/size/pixel pitch etc.

Well my other body is an AFD I with a 2 lens kit of a Hassy 110/2 and Hassy 50/2.8. The adapter for the lenses cost more than I paid for the body!!! :eek: If I add another lens it will be the 80/1.9. :thumbup:

Good luck with the new kit!

P.S. Sorry to the 110 LS discussion for this digression.

Tim Ernst

Hey David, that was exactly my original question about the FP shutter but looking back through the thread I guess it was never really answered (too much testing with the gin I guess) - so you say it does indeed open when the mirror is locked up? So then after a wait of several seconds for the gin to settle down only the leaf shutter opens when the exposure is made? That would make a big difference.

narikin

OK thanks - I was hoping that vibration issues would be reduced by using a leaf shutter lens, but I guess that is not the case. Oh well...
no its not - in fact DF with LS lenses are noisier than regular ones. which is disappointing.

besides the mirror and FS there is a third noise from the LS operating.
you can clearly hear when the LS works, its a different sound to what you are used to.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
General rule Leaf shutters have less vibration than focal. It is a different sound and I honestly have not shot my 80 LS in mirror up mode yet. Might have to try this today

Tim Ernst

Yup, no question that leaf shutters have less vibration, but this is an odd situation since there is also a focal plane shutter that still opens before the exposure - and exactly when that opens is what seems to be in question. If it opens at the same time you lock the mirror up with the first press, then great - you would be able to let the camera settle down before making the exposure with the second button press. But if the focal shutter does not open until you actually make the exposure (just before the leaf shutter opens), then you would still have vibrations left over from the focal shutter opening. Hence my question - if the focal shutter opens when the mirror is locked up or not until the button is pressed a second time. Seems to me that these LS lenses would be a great benefit to a landscape shooter like me (who would never use a flash so don't need the higher sync speed), if the vibration was less, although the creep factor on the 110 kind of makes that a mute point - I prefer not to have to duct tape the lens every time I focus, ha!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I think I understand your question now. Here is the sequence in MLU mode based on sounds and observation: 1) First press, mirror goes up and lens shutter remains open. 2) Second press, LS shuts and focal opens (you can feel this in the camera, but it's slight), then a brief pause -- like half a second -- and LS fires, camera returns to ready for the next capture.

In an ideal world the process would be that on first press, the mirror would go up, the leaf would shut and the focal would open. Then on the second press only the leaf would fire. Maybe we could get that via a firmware update?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Good point Tim. May have to get that kind of answer from a Phase engineer but it is a great question