The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leaf Aptus-II 8 VS Phase one P40+ pro and cons ? and others...

archivue

a friend of mine is in the process to buy a second back... he needs a back up, and his aptus 22 worked a lot...
he's already own an aptus 22.
Cameras : Arca RM3D, Arca F line 69 and mamiya AFDII.

He will keep the 22... good back for architecture anyway, and it's always good to have a back up.

options in his price range are :

Leaf Aptus II 5... good price, similar to the aptus 22

Phase one P45+... more pixels, and long exposure... but low iso as well

Phase one P30+... nice complementarity with the aptus 22 but, not usable with movements...

Leaf Aptus II 8 or Phase one P40+ are maybe the better balance, even if the sensor is smaller (his 28, will be similar to a 31 on the Aptus 22... not a big deal)
what's the difference between this two ?

The P65+ and similar are way too expensive.

what are your opinion about it ?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Being a P40+ owner my preference would be either one of these (Leaf Aptus II 8 or Phase one P40+) because of the balance , great at higher ISO's, Faster, No wake up cables, Latest 6 micron Dalsa chip although limit to 60 seconds

thomas

what are your opinion about it ?
what about the Aptus II-7 with the 48x36 sensor?

I am shooting a P45 (and a P21+) and mostly on a tech camera. I am quite pleased with my kit, however if I would start again I'd probably first take a look at Leaf today. Mostly due to the LCD features that I consider very useful especially when working with a tech camera. Too, highlight handling seems to be smoother on the Leaf. Hope I can get one in my hands soon to seriously check it out by myself...

JSK Rangefinder

I was interested in P65+ but couldn't find any way around long exposure.. I remember, I asked Jack about "stacking (P65+short) exposures" something similar to what photographers shooting Star Trails would do but couldn't find anything any solid tutorial/info.. If i remember correctly.. Jack said, he would write an article/tutorial on it.. not sure if he did it yet though..

Perhaps, Optechs Digital or Capture Integration could do it for their blog since it's related to only one thing P65+ can't do as well compared to P45+ and CI guys are known for no nonsense approach as well as Optechs Digital!!!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yes no micro lenses and the Dalsa sensor seems to be better than the previous Kodaks on color shift. Shooting a tech cam today actually

archivue

For now, he managed to test a P45+ and was quite happy with the result... 400 iso isn't bad at all ! And long exposure is really cool !
But i still prefer how the aptus 22 deal with hight light and contrast at iso25.
The aptus screen size is much better also !
Considering the sensor size, and the fact that the P40+ and the P45+ cost nearly the same, why choosing a P40+ for architecture ?

thomas

While it is nice that the P40+ is "flexible"... i.e. usable on a tech camera with wide angle and movements I'd go for the larger sensor if the main application is architecture (i.e. Aptus II-10, Aptus II-7, P65+ or P45+).
On the larger sensor you can use less wide lenses to get the same field of view. For instance I'd prefer the 47XL or 43XL as "working horse" over a 35mm lens...
The Dalsa (P40+) sensor shows less color cast ... but the Kodak sensor apparently shows less light falloff:

As color cast is literally a non-issue (due to the very good LCC in C1) I'd prefer the better light falloff behavior of the P45+ here. Though I think in practice the falloff issue is minor.

So... for architecture I'd say go for the larger sensor.