The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Alpa tripod mounting plate

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Graham
Very nice and small . Perhaps a little bit too small ? ? ?

Here is my solution . Extremely solid , impossible to swing , and the screws can not loosen , as I use a starwasher with the screws .

View attachment 40138

View attachment 40139

View attachment 40140

The little bolts you see on the blue "thingies" (QPL-1) fit exactly into the STC body .

I must admit , not as nice as Grahams solution , but extremely solid and safe . I don't mind the size of the QPL-1 but the color .
I will leave the base plate permanently mounted , but as far as I see it now , will only mount the sidepiece when needed .

dchew

I'll buy you both one for all the help. Great stuff.

I'll try Graham's RRS solution first. Jurgen, very creative and solid, but that BLUE!

I sent RRS an email to see if they could do something specific for the STC. I'll let you know if anything comes of that...

Dave

jotloob

Subscriber Member
I'll try Graham's RRS solution first. Jurgen, very creative and solid, but that BLUE!
Dave
Yes you are right . That BLUE ! ! ! . I dislike it very much as well , but it is very solid . They don't produce it in black , otherwise I would have reworked at least ten pieces
BTW , have you noticed , that the QPL-1 can be used in two ways ? The BLUE thingy is a square piece . That is what I like .

jotloob

Subscriber Member
I'll buy you both one for all the help. Great stuff.
Dave
Dave

This blue color is part of NOVOFLEX's corporate identity .

I had a phonecall with NOVOFLEX today . They will make the QPL-1 in black for me if I would take ten pieces . It would then cost 35€ instead of 30€ .

They are very friendly people and open for any special wish .

PeterL

The RSS BPNS plate is certainly nice and small. However, the Kirk plate (PZ-130) gives a bit more lip and grip for the clamp. For the 35mm XL it should be just long enough to position the entrance-pupil over the rotation point on the RSS PCL-1 pano head.

Cheers, -Peter

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I also retried the MPR-73. If you move the horizontal bar to one of the middle stops then it too provides a very sturdy base, although longer than the Kirk plate. The Kirk looks to be a nice size for the TC and maybe even more so for the STC which is slightly thicker at the base.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
The RSS BPNS plate is certainly nice and small. However, the Kirk plate (PZ-130) gives a bit more lip and grip for the clamp. For the 35mm XL it should be just long enough to position the entrance-pupil over the rotation point on the RSS PCL-1 pano head.
Cheers, -Peter
Peter

That PZ-130 is exactly what I was looking for . It looks very nice and is black :)

I have never heard of that brand . But it is not too late .
I found a small company here which still has two on stock . At least , thats what it says on their home page . If so , they will be mine soon .
Thanks for posting .

PeterL

You're welcome Jürgen, Kirk Enterprises is quite popular here in the US, maybe not a much as RRS, but they have good stuff as well. Btw, I have no connections to the company.

It has worked well on my Alpa TC.

Cheers, -Peter

dchew

Yes Peter, thank you. I forgot all about Kirk. According to their websites, the PZ-130 is 25mm wide vs. 20mm for the BPNS.

BTW I got nowhere with my email to RRS. Nice response and they took the time to check out the STC webpages, but they basically said too many projects, too little time.

Ciao,
Dave

jotloob

Subscriber Member
I will get two PZ-130 QR plates by tomorrow . They were the last two in stock .
So I was just lucky . I think , I will use the PZ-130 for the side position only , because that QR plate is smaller than the BLUE thingy and it will be much handier then .

jotloob

Subscriber Member
My rework to the ARCA QR plates for my ALPA12STC is finished since quite some time , but I had no images taken up to now .

So the ugly blue bottom plate has gone now and is replaced by a rather small and elegant black ARCA plate .

The side QR plate is made out of a bigger ARCA plate , which I cut in the middle . Out of one big plate , I got two small ones .

To prevent the plate from unwanted twisting , I made two little pins per plate . These pins are inserted into the QR plate and then fit directly into the holes in the ALPA STC frame .
Have a look to the detail images .

The screwed on QR plates are absolutely very tight and can not twist . A very stable and elegant solution .
Perfect for the FLIP-LOCK on my CUBE .

If you are interested in more details , you can PM me .

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Y E S

Gilbert , it will be anodized . I knew , you would ask that .
But because of that one little piece , NOVOFLEX does not stop their BLUE process .
It helps me a lot if I imagine that blank part is black .:grin:

gerald.d

Hi all -

My TC is arriving soon, and I'm putting an order in with BH for the Mamiya 2x converter (see other thread).

Was hoping to be able to add into the order something suitable for the TC, but it seems they don't list the PZ-130.

Not really a fan of the blue Novoflex option, and was wondering what people's thoughts were on the Arca-Swiss options - either 32x32 or 32x48?

Arca-Swiss Slidefix QR Camera Plate (32x32mm) 802260 B&H Photo

or

Arca-Swiss Slidefix QR Camera Plate (48x32mm) 802265 B&H Photo

Kind regards,

Gerald.