The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Alpa tripod mounting plate

gerald.d

Thanks Stephen - ideally I'm looking for something that they have in stock at BH that I can add to my existing order, but I'll certainly look into the RRS option.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Another vote for the MPR-73 from RRS. It's a perfect fit with no possible chance of rotation on pretty much any Alpa body. I use it on my STC and TC.

dchew

I settled on the Kirk PZ-130. Basically because quite often I mount the camera on the grip side for rise/fall - I have the STC. The RRS BNS plate was a little too short for my taste in that position, and the MPR-73 is just too big for the grip side. Jeeze I sound like Goldilocks...

I would use the nice big RRS MPR-73 on the bottom, but as most of you know RRS and Kirk have slightly different dovetail sizes. That becomes a problem on the Arca Cube (I hate adjusting that little wheel in the field). So in the end I put the Kirk plate in both positions.

Dave

PeterL

Hi all -

My TC is arriving soon, and I'm putting an order in with BH for the Mamiya 2x converter (see other thread).

Was hoping to be able to add into the order something suitable for the TC, but it seems they don't list the PZ-130.

Not really a fan of the blue Novoflex option, and was wondering what people's thoughts were on the Arca-Swiss options - either 32x32 or 32x48?

Arca-Swiss Slidefix QR Camera Plate (32x32mm) 802260 B&H Photo

or

Arca-Swiss Slidefix QR Camera Plate (48x32mm) 802265 B&H Photo

Kind regards,

Gerald.
The 32x32 Slidefix plate works well for me. I used to use the Kirk PZ-130 on a RRS panohead with my TC, and it was/is certainly fine, but I prefer the slightly lower profile of the Arca Slidefix mount, I have a D4 head with this mount. I really like it. Two of those on the sides of the TC is just perfect. The Arca plate does not have the ridge to prevent twisting, but in practice it 's not a problem at all. For a 35XL or 24XL there is plenty of room to adjust for the nodal point (entrance pupil - actually is the correct point), might work for the 43/47XL as well - not sure about that. I'll try to post a picture when I get back home.

Cheers, -Peter

gerald.d

Thanks Peter - that's good to hear.

I'll go with the Slidefix since they have it at BH.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

epforever

This is an old and somewhat ongoing thread, but I have a current question: What tripod mounting plate do people recommend for an Alpa SWA, mounting into a standard Arca/RRS dovetail head (Linhof 3D Micro with dovetail fitting)?

I'm looking for a baseplate that won't rotate when fixed to the camera, obviously. The one Alpa makes for the SWA, with index/locking pins, only fits a Linhof Quickfix head. The new Alpa dovetail baseplates don't fit the SWA.

thanks
ethan

GrahamWelland

I found that with the Alpa reversing adapter (which seems to be the same dimensions as the SWA base) that the B22 is a good fit. I use that on my Alpa FPS on the SW/SWA reversing foot.

Not too big, not too small, and still keeping square and twist resistant with the lip of the plate against the Alpa foot.

Hey, what do you know ... RRS thought so too :D

RRS recommendation for Alpa 12-SWH

This is on the reversing foot:

tylerallenmohr

Is anyone using the plates Alpa now shows on their website? They may not have been out around the last time this thread was active. I need something for my TC and the small mount looks really sleek but the very minimal surface area in contact with the clamp scares me. The square mount seems more suitable for supporting a setup that might include a DB and delicate lens. Both look really well integrated with the system in the promo photos.

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

I can recommend the square plate. I had both and the thin one was too thin to feel comfortable with a MFDB & Alpa on top.

With the STC, the stitch (taller) bracket is better too.

dchew

With the STC, the stitch (taller) bracket is better too.
That’s interesting Graham. What keeps me from trying that plate on th “bottom” of the camera is the desire to use a flat plate on the hand grip for rise/fall. Easier to hold a flat plate on the grip.

I still use the RRS BP-CS plate on the grip, and prefer to keep the brands the same so I don’t have to worry about setting head tension between two similar, but not exactly the same, dove tail designs.

Dave

Geoff

Is anyone using the plates Alpa now shows on their website? They may not have been out around the last time this thread was active. I need something for my TC and the small mount looks really sleek but the very minimal surface area in contact with the clamp scares me. The square mount seems more suitable for supporting a setup that might include a DB and delicate lens. Both look really well integrated with the system in the promo photos.
Yes, the RRS B22 (I think) on the side with the handle, unobtrusive, and the small Alpa dovetail one on the bottom. It has sharp corners, but is thin and doesn't get hung up on things. And yes, it surprisingly holds the camera quite steady in RRS clamps, no issues. Thanks to Paula for the recommendation - right again!

beano_z

No issues at all with the tiny plate (the one shown on the right hand side TC on your image). I've used it with the 32mm and 90mm Rodenstock lenses, with the Phase One IQ backs and roll film backs, all works fine.

It may look funny when clamped down, but trying to get it to budge feels impossible without actually breaking something.

So I'd say, if your setup needs the smaller plate then go for it by all means.

GrahamWelland

I have used all of the Alpa mounts and agree that they're definitely strong enough, even the narrow adapter. For me it was always a case of rather having an over engineered part vs minimal part just because of having $50k+ of gear sitting on top. The narrow base plate was a little too easy to put in crooked into the mouth of my Cube QR clamp, albeit admittedly it would square up when the clamp was closed. Once clamped everything is absolutely rigid.