The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Alpa tripod mounting plate

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I'm waiting (somewhat impatiently) for my Alpa Max to arrive this week and will need to mount this on my Arca Swiss head (i.e. Cube/B1/RRS BH-25). I was wondering what plates folks were using with these cameras (SWA/TC/Max etc) that work best and won't rotate at some point.

I've seen the BH-22 from RRS which looks like it should work well but I figured that the experienced Alpa users here would have some options or recommendations.

Thanks in advance.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
I use the NOVOFLEX QMOUNT QPL 3/8" standard plate for my ALPA 12 SWA .
That plate is very small and I am very satisfied with that solution . I leave it mounted on the camera all the time .
http://www.novoflex.com/en/products/camera-support-systems/quick-release-systems/qmount/

The only thing I do not like with that qmount is its blue color . I would prefer it in black . This qmount is ARCA compatible and fits the ARCA CUBE .
The qmount surely also fits the ALPA (S)TC , but I do not know if it is sufficient enough for the ALPA MAX or other models .

Jürgen

stephengilbert

The RRS B22 works fine, as does the B29, a longer version of the same design. I use the B29 on my TC: it's something to hold for hand held use, and allows rotation on the nodal point with shorter lenses. The B22 might be a better choice for the Max.

GrahamWelland

The RRS B22 works fine, as does the B29, a longer version of the same design. I use the B29 on my TC: it's something to hold for hand held use, and allows rotation on the nodal point with shorter lenses. The B22 might be a better choice for the Max.
With the B22 / B29 does the lip align with the front of the Alpa frame to prevent any rotation? I see that being the benefit of those plates vs the general flat plates that I already have.

stephengilbert

Graham,

The lip on the B22 and B29 does not work on the ALPA bodies: they're only about 3/4 inch thick, and the slot in the plate doesn't reach close enough to the edge for the lip to work. With a 3/8 inch bolt, the fit is quite secure without the lip's help. If you have a lipless plate that'll fit, I don't think the RRS plate will add anything.

Steve

jotloob

Subscriber Member
As I want to rework a NOVOFLEX QPL-1 to give that quick coupling a "lipp" as described for the RRS above , I ordered an additional QPL-1 . What I received is this:
View attachment 34828

That is the new type . Please have a look to the two rubber inserts . They shall prevent a rotation .

I will mount that coupling device tomorrow , but still I will rework the other one with a "lipp" and show an image soon .

Jürgen

thomas

As I want to rework a NOVOFLEX QPL-1 to give that quick coupling a "lipp" as described for the RRS above , I ordered an additional QPL-1 . What I received is this:
View attachment 34828

That is the new type . Please have a look to the two rubber inserts . They shall prevent a rotation .

I will mount that coupling device tomorrow , but still I will rework the other one with a "lipp" and show an image soon .

Jürgen
there is also that round camera plate from novoflex:

it shipps with different screws and you can use 2 of the screws to prevent rotation.
BTW: the spacing of the screws fits on Contax/Mamiya cameras.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Yes Thomas

I have seen all these coupling plates when I visited NOVOFLEX , but I do not like the size and the idea with the screws . The QPL-1 is the smallest and fits the ALPA12SWA perfectly . I have one plate with screws and they damage the paint or surface of the camera . That is what I do dislike .

stephengilbert

Graham,

The RRS MPR-73 arrived today, and it's perfect. You can mount it in various ways, all of which have the lip positioned to prevent twist. Not that twist was a problem, but still, . . .

Thanks for the heads up,

Steve

dchew

Hello,
New member, first post. I'm about to dive into MF; the IQ backs have pushed me into Dante's Inferno. Looking at an Alpa STC w/ rt hand grip, and wondering about mounting. If I get two of the RRS MPR-73's, mount one on the bottom and the other on the side opposite the grip, will that work or just get in the way?

I'm thinking it would work like an L-bracket. Allow me to rotate the camera to portrait without removing the back, and provide an easy mount for rise/fall with the STC.

Dave

Terry

Hi Dave welcome to the forum. I used the Alpa TC with the phase wakeup grip for the first time yesterday. I REALLY liked that grip especially as I was handholding it. Others with more experience can chime in here but something to consider.

stephengilbert

Dave,

I don't think you can use a MPR-73 on the side of the STC; it'll interfere with shift movement to the left (the side where the plate is attached). I believe I saw a recommendation of an RRS PnS plate for the STC.* That's a narrow plate designed for narrow point and shoot cams.

Graham will probably have more on this. He discovered the MPR-73.

Steve

* According to Jurgen, here http://forums.getdpi.com/forum/showpost.php?p=280476&postcount=25,

"The ALPA people recommended to use the RRS BPNS. I had a look to that stuff but it does not convince me. What do you use to put the STC onto a tripod for vertical and horizontal use ? ? ? I would like to leave the gear permanently mounted, but that would obviously require different plates for the base and the grip side of the camera."

GrahamWelland

I just got the STC and also bought a couple of the RRS BPNS-S plates for it. It's small and adjustable with a lip so that it can fit perfectly. The plate is slightly narrower than the STC 'body') and you certainly could mount the 2nd plate on the side of the grip, although I actually decided not to in the end. If you aren't shooting handheld much though it wouldn't be too much of an impediment as it is small.

Btw, you can't mount it opposite the grip because that's where the back slides out when you shift left. Unlike the Max which has all shifts within the body, the STC extends out on one side when shifted left although a right shift is accommodated since there is the grip on the right.

The MPR-73 is WAY, WAY too big for the STC.

dchew

Thanks for the replies. I'll get two BPNS-S plates and experiment. I could always add it when needed, but as Jurgen points out, that's a bit of a pain.

I don't expect to shoot handheld much, and I do want to use rise.

Dave

jotloob

Subscriber Member
View attachment 34828

My rework of the above shown QPL-1 for the STC body was successful .
It turns out to be very very stable .
I can not show an image yet , just because up to now , there was no time to take an image . I hope to do so tomorrow .
But as a short description , I have reworked the plate to have two little bolts , which fit into the holes on the STC body . Have a look to your ALPA viewer and how the viewer is attached to either ALPA model . Then you know what I mean . A slight difference for the "base" plate and the plate for the handgrip side .

I just got the STC and also bought a couple of the RRS BPNS-S plates for it. It's small and adjustable with a lip so that it can fit perfectly. The plate is slightly narrower than the STC 'body') and you certainly could mount the 2nd plate on the side of the grip, although I actually decided not to in the end. If you aren't shooting handheld much though it wouldn't be too much of an impediment as it is small.
Btw, you can't mount it opposite the grip because that's where the back slides out when you shift left. Unlike the Max which has all shifts within the body, the STC extends out on one side when shifted left although a right shift is accommodated since there is the grip on the right.

The MPR-73 is WAY, WAY too big for the STC.
Graham
Congratulations for your new ALPA , the STC . A great "little" camera .
Perhaps we should have an "STC club" . As far as I can see , there are already about eight forum members who are hopefully happy owners of that new ALPA .

Looking forward to show you my QRP solution with an image .

PeterL

I too have looked at the RRS plates, but I found the Kirk PZ-130 to be just perfect for the Alpa TC. You could probably mount one on the side as well, not obtrusive at all. It also has a lip that prevents twisting. Might work on the STC as well, but I think too small for a Max.

Cheers, -Peter