The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Help, I'm thinking of going with Sinar Hy6, 54 LV

Mitchell

I'm getting close to trying out the Hy6 and 54. I'd like to hear what people think of this choice.

I shoot almost exclusively outdoors, landscapes and nature.

Before I bought my 6008i, I bought a Hasselblad manual, I think a 503. I returned it for the Rollei because I couldn't stand the ergonomics. I think the 6008 is great. For this reason, Hassie's closed system, plus I have 2 Rollei lenses, and a 45 degree prism, I'm prejudiced against Hassie, and so haven't really researched their possibilities.

If I bought the 54LV by itself the adaptor for the 6008 is about $2500 so I think it makes sense to put that money towards the Hy6.

Leaf seems out because the screen doesn't do well in outdoor light, and the back is less flexible to use on other cameras.

It seems like the 54 Lv with 22 pix and 9 micron pixels is great for all but the largest blowups.

Do you think the Focus Trap on the Hy6, could be fast enough to catch small birds in flight from 3 feet?

Am I missing something in my thinking?

I wish the Sinar was black, and better looking. :)

Appreciate any help.

Best,

Mitchell

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Before you buy, make sure you talk to David Kipper on this forum at length. He has one and his experience has not been all roses and lollipops...

T

thsinar

Jack,

I think David has an eMotion 75.

Experiences with a new tool/DB are not often "roses" and "lollipops" at the beginning: there is a learning curve.

Best regards,
Thierry

Before you buy, make sure you talk to David Kipper on this forum at length. He has one and his experience has not been all roses and lollipops...

Mitchell

Thanks for the response. I sent a Private Message to David K so I hope to hear what his story is. On the Forum so far he seems to be positive about the Hy6.

Best,

Mitchell

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Don't confuse positive feelings toward the camera design and glass performance with positive feelings toward the usability of the entire system as a digital capture platform...

EH21

While not about the Hy6, I hated my rollei 6008/p20 when I first got it - had some minor issues - bad focusing screen and the back I bought second hand (from a forum member here) had a mount problem where it would not fit up tightly. The biggest problem was making the shift to a new camera format - or in other words user error. But now I love it, am consistently pleased with the results.

David K

Workshop Member
I've had a number of private messages inquiring about the issues I've had with my Hy6/75LV kit and have asked for a day or so to respond. I'd like to hear back from Thierry and my Sinar rep so that i can provide a complete story. Many, but not all, of the issues are learning curve related.

PeterA

Sorry to hear about your system's teething problems David. Hope they are all ironed out soon.

David K

Workshop Member
Thanks Peter, I am quite certain they will be. I can tell you that I am amazed at the level of concern expressed by the Sinar folks. Emails are circling the globe and phone calls from the very highest levels have been made to my rep to make sure these issues are being addressed. One thing I can tell you for sure is that these folks care and, even though that's the way it should be, it isn't always the case. The power of the internet is simply amazing.

Rethmeier

I have recently purchased a Hy6 as well,however not had a chance to give it a big work-out.
The main reason for this is that I have send my e-75LV to Sinar for the upgrade.
(Larger screen and rotating adapter)
I've also been in contact with David Kippel and I'm looking forward about the current issues.
Regards,
Willem.

gogopix

Subscriber
Take a look at the Contax 645 and a Phase back.

From what I can see, the Hy6 syetm is expensive, large, cumbersome and provides little advantage over the Contax.

If you are hell bent on leaf shutters or need synch speeds over 125, by all means pursue.

If not,

The Hasselblad is also very expensive, a closed system and has flaky software.

But hey, just my oppinion after looking at these for some time.

I cannot comment on handling. However, the files from both seem no better than the Contax,
the contax glass is great, and the performance of the Phase is as good as any.

Victor

PS: OK, you could also go for the Mamiya; but you won't get the glass!

:)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Victor I'm telling ya the Mamiya glass is nothing to sneeze at. LOL Watch the P30 and P25 threads . The New D stuff is really going to be great and i don't have any yet but pretty impressed by the resolving power of the lenses I have have today.

gogopix

Subscriber
I'm noy going to disparage the M glass. But many have put their vote on Contax and Hasselblad (which can go on the Mamiya as well)
However, why not just get the one that comes from Zeiss? no talk, just do.

Here's a Contax/Phase 'snap
easy as you please, autofocus, right out of C1 NO processing. just resized to 950 and save in sRGB 8bit jpg

I got a million of 'em! :)

But seriously. I have looked hard, and sure I am sure M can be at times as good (but LL votes still say 'not as good as') so maybe Mamiya needs to play Avis .. Not going to knock it (but the 28mm ain't that good accoeding to some.)

Here's the 35mm, just really a piece of CAKE to use this. Hell, with the autofocus, and AE this was practically point and shoot :thumbup:I trekked all over france with this sucker. Never even thought about it. Yes it weighs 4lbs-5lbs with the 80/2.0 (YES 2.0!) or the 35mm (used here)

if you want to capture images, and operate as a photographer, rather than worrying about pre, post and during, get yourself this combo. I habe had for 4 years (and narry a failure, with either, touch wood, 3 backs and 2 cameras and 7 lenses.

Now, THAT's quality!

see the pix too. IQ is great (I am not :D as a photog)

Victor

PS: if you want, I'll send you the raw file and you can see for yourself. I use a pair on 30" screens--jeez, at times, even at 'actual size' (about 70" by 50"I at 100 pixwla /inch) feel I could just walk into the sceen!

Last edited:

gogopix

Subscriber
BTW, this is what does it (except the phase back is actually a bit trimmer!)

Last edited:

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
As a current owner of a Jenoptik (Sinar) back, I can state with a certainty that they do not only care, they will see David's problems are all resolved. Whatever the cause, be it a hardware problem or a learning curve problem. Sinar only wants satisfied customers, from my own personal experience the past five years I have owned one of their products.

Now, if it were one of the others I have had the misfortune to own, I would have to say that manufacturer could sure go a long way further in the customer satisfaction department.

I can also echo Guy's statement about Lance, and the other great folks at Capture Integration. I know personally several people who have bought from them, and have all always been treated most excellently. I'm proud to say that Lance and Dave are both friends of mine.

Stuart Richardson

"Do you think the Focus Trap on the Hy6, could be fast enough to catch small birds in flight from 3 feet?"

I think if you are interested in photographing birds in flight at 3 feet, medium format digital (or film) is not the way to go. Do you really need to blow up the photo over 30 inches wide? Because you can get great quality below that size with the current crop of pro digital SLR's...you will also get more depth of field, faster shutters, better autofocus, more lens selection, vastly better ISO performance, and a total system price that is a small fraction of the medium format digital body alone. If you have other plans for the system, then other reasoning applies, but for fast action nature photography, it does not seem like a good choice.

By the way, I am a 6008AF user, and I wound up deciding to stick with film for medium format and use a D3 for digital. I am very happy with my decision. I am happy to continue doing fine art type work in film, and I don't do enough commercial work to justify a MF digital back, so the D3 is a good solution for me. Had I gone for a medium format back, I probably would have gone for Leaf. As tempting as Sinar is, everyone I have spoken to in the US has steered me away from it for varying reasons, and I think that you have to be pretty brave or pretty rich to put down 15,000+ on a camera system that is not a sure thing. No offense to Thierry -- I do think Sinar has great products, but their support structure in the US is a source of concern for their own dealers, and that simply can't be good. Surely, others have different experiences, but this is what I gathered from speaking to several dealers in the US, and demoing the camera.

Last edited: