The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Special Report/Phase LS and Elinchrom Speed Transmitter

symbolphoto

Thanks Guy! This is extremely interesting to me. So, just for clarity-sake...

If you do shoot Elinchrom above 1/400th, the result is under or just over a stop of light depending on the settings? There is nothing obvious in the frame like FP shutters, correct?

Damn, i wish you had an A head. I'll have to test this sometime... damned weddings are keeping us too busy to test.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
It really falls off after 1/400 . At this point it becomes the wireless itself it seems so nothing usable faster than 1/400. Coming from 1/125 it's actually pretty good for me and it does help, worst case pull the cord out. Obviously the Profoto solution is the best. And yes I need a A head and actually buying another complete setup is on my short list anyway. I use these quite a bit on location and if I had at least 1 A head it would serve me fine along with a S head. Just need to get some money for another setup. I've been on a bit on a spending spree Z1 ball head, 55 LS and 80 LS. Plus some Canon stuff and waiting for a 7D right now today. But after that I am sneaking out to head up to Jerome AZ and play with the ball head, 55 and 80. So hopefully I will have some reports on those products.

symbolphoto

Cool. Great to know.

7D is a different beast from the rest of the Canon line. Built really well and the autofocus, takes getting used to, but is rather dead-on in my testing.

Enjoy.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Thanks I was using the T2 and it was not cutting it for me . Hit buffer a lot and AF was questionable while working but okay when processing. Just did not feel comfortable. 7D is much better I understand

symbolphoto

So in AZ, when using the Quadra do you ever come up against settings where the Quadra isn't quite cutting it in terms of power? We own a Ranger RX AS and a Quadra, for both scenarios. If it's a cloudy day, we take out the Quadra if it's really sunny, we take the Ranger RX AS.

How do you handle really sunny days?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I'm not in Arizona, but California... I get "sunny 11" from my Quadra at full power with the bare reflector at 10 feet... Since my sun is usually "sunny 16" and since I normally dial one under for flash fill, and since I'm usually at less than 8 feet, the Quadra is fine. I suspect your AZ sun is "sunny 22" so you are on the edge if the head has to be further than about 6 feet away from your subject...

symbolphoto

I'm not in Arizona, but California... I get "sunny 11" from my Quadra at full power with the bare reflector at 10 feet... Since my sun is usually "sunny 16" and since I normally dial one under for flash fill, and since I'm usually at less than 8 feet, the Quadra is fine. I suspect your AZ sun is "sunny 22" so you are on the edge if the head has to be further than about 6 feet away from your subject...
Yeah we are typically 11 or higher on sunny days here. I have a feeling AZ is different :) More like the hordes of Australians on POTN. Btw, if you guys are regular Elinchrom users, large discussions going on on that forum:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35

Enjoy.