The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A medium format and tech camera newbie gets started (P40+ and Rm3D)

sflxn

Hey, I'm new to MFD too and was interested in these tech cameras. Where can I learn more about them? Specifically, which ones will work for my camera body. I have an H4D and know they present additional problems due to the batteries. Any websites I can use?

I have to add that I am absolutely blown away by the Hassy. I expected this camera to be so heavy and unwieldy to use. In actuality, it's lighter and more ergonomic than my D3 + 24-70. I was considering a D3x over the Hassy. I am so glad I didn't -- from an ergonomic standpoint.

Terry

My first big shoot. One lens for the whole week so everything was the perfect shot for a 35mm :D. A lot of great instruction from Guy and Jack on the workshop!!!! A lot of jealous people wanting an Arca. Ask Jack or Guy if I like the camera :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:.

A small sampling.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
A few weeks into it and Terry is making that Arca sing for sure! I wish you all could have seen her face when she first "saw" the results from using just a few degrees of tilt -- seeing all that green from the C1 focus mask -- it was like watching a little kid at her birthday party! :D

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
One lens for the whole week so everything was the perfect shot for a 35mm
Oh yes, and one lens is plenty - for now. Getting more just creates problems . . . GAPS! :eek: Let's say you pick up the 70mm or 72mm. Now you have a huge gap between your 35 and 70 - so do you fill that with the 40, 43, 47?? - the 47 is logical but the 43 seems stellar, same with the 40 but both of them might be too close to the 35 so do you trade out the 35 for a 28 then go with 28, 43, 70 - or don't get the 70 but jump right to the 120 then you have lots to choose from between 35 and 120 . . . :D

This is the kind of stuff that keeps Guy awake at night!
And in the morning the rest of us just check in to see what he has written at 5am in case he has some insight for us and that's been working fine so far!

Looking forward to more images - "It's your turn!"

Terry

I was wondering if there was some tilt in the second image she posted (the tree lying in the lake in the foreground). Made me think about the tilt adapter for my Alpa.
Charlie,
I think most if not all of these had a touch of tilt added.
I have a 90mm lens on order it just hasn't arrived....which in the end worked out just fine because I made 35mm work for me. The three lens kit looks like 35, 55 or 60 and 90. In discussing with Jack these choices also fall neatly into a larger format rule of thumb which uses your medium (sensor) size to determine a grouping a focal lengths. Short side measurement, 2x the long side measurement and then the diagonal....my sensor is 33x44 so 35 and 90 are pretty spot on (funny how that works).

Terry

Thanks everyone!

I really do love this setup. My bag was small and light. Took me no time to set up and then get put away. I can work off my small traveler tripod but the bigger Gitzo with the cube was much easier. Just as an FYI I am using a Think Tank Streetwalker Pro and even with the two additional lenses it should all fit with the disto and other accessories.

Now that I've had to wean myself from LR and move to C1, once you concentrate on actually learning it, there are a lot of good bits.

Again, many thanks to Jack and Guy in the moving from thinking to buying stage, the actual purchase, the instruction and the fun.

Terry

terry: how are you judging framing?
John with the 35 it wasn't too hard to line up right where I wanted to be and get the framing close. I do have a viewfinder but generally wasn't using it. The viewfinder also has marking for movements. Generally I would just do a trial shot and tweak it a bit. But of course Jack gave me a lesson about where the horizon would be in the frame when the camera is zeroed out (no rise or fall).

When I get the 90mm lens it will be a different story and I will probably have to rely on the viewfinder more but I may actually be getting the rotaslide which then will be ground glass shooting.