The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Who Says Black & White is dead?

Analog6

PhaseOne has just brought out . . . drrrum rrrolll . . .

The Achromatic+ – a 39 megapixel medium format digital camera back that provides wide spectrum black and white images. With it the photographic opportunities are virtually endless. This came about as the growing demise of traditional photographic film has even affected the scientific community, with many specialty scientific films are no longer available or are becoming increasingly difficult to acquire (sound familiar, film users?). This includes infrared and other scientific films that are sensitive to specific nanometer ranges in both the visible and invisible spectrums. And dealing with the chemical processes that film requires was becoming increasingly difficult in the workplace.

Jim Taskett and Karla Johnson of Bear Images Photographic Inc., in San Francisco put together a research consortium including both US Government and private companies and not-for -profits, focused on finding a digital capture solution to replace scientific film and traditional processes. The result is the Achromatic. See the announcement here and click the More Info button for a full run down and some other links.

I’d love a back dedicated to B&W but don’t think I’ll be indulging anytime soon. I’d have to sell and awful lot of calendars to cover that one . . .

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Just a FYI . Dave at Capture Integration had this shipped in to us at the Bandon Workshop and we had a ball with it. Pretty amazing back

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Back was actually released a year ago. Really cool niche camera. We are a dealer.

The other "similar" cameras pointed to DocMoore are not really "similar" except in so far as they use the same sensor. They are geared towards a scientific market.

The AChromatic+ uses the same software (Capture One) and can be purchased in any of the four digital back mounts Phase One makes (Mamiya-Phase/Contax/HassyV/HassyH) with the same easy UI, same wide CF card compatibility, easy tethered shooting etc. If you're a photographer (especially existing Phase One shooters/renters) it will be a very easy camera to use compared to a device made for a scientific market.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work