The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Doubts about Phase one DF

H3dtogo

In the beginning of this year i bought a Phase one DF with 80mm Schneider lens. As i was very angry at Hasselblad at that time i wanted to switch completely to phase one:mad:. I got myself an adapterplate to mount my P20+ on a Cambo WDS with 47mm and some fine Mamiya lenses.
After 5 months i have discovered I almost never use my DF, exept for " hobby" pictures... So i wonder if this is the right investement.
Most of my studiowork is shot with a Mamiya RZ67II, my outdoor work with a Hasselblad H3d. A few months ago I got to buy a Hartbleicam B1 and for still live and Wide angle photography this is the only camera I have ever used ever since.
So now I was thinking of selling both the Phase One DF with 80mm CS shneider and the Cambo Wide DS. My greatest concern is that I realy like those Russian lenses, Superrotators and Kiev lenses and they would work great with the DF but can't be used with the closed Hasselblad system. On the other hand, i only use those lenses for fun... but a man has got to have a hobby. :D
What would other photographers decide to do?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Never get rid of the DF even though it mostly maybe used for fun . What happens if a client calls and ask you do something the tech cams can't like shoot fast for one too name a few reasons why to keep it. For me it is a different story it is my Primary so no way I could. Really depends on if you can have this ground covered on what it does. On the other hand you could maybe stretch that P20 into a P40+ if sold some stuff. Man I hate these decisions. LOL

Don Libby

I sold everything that wasn't related to a technical camera (Cambo WRS) and haven't looked back. But then again I am a landscape photographer and don't have a need for anything else.

Listen to what Guy has said as it's sound advice. And yes, you need to have a fun tool waiting for you to take it out and shoot with.

Just my 2¢ worth.

Don

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
The DF is an interesting beast for me too. I picked one up with my digital back and I have to say that it really is the closest thing to the utility and handling of a regular 35mm DSLR that I've ever had with a medium format camera. In the past I shot with the old Pentax 645N II and then Mamiya AF & AFD bodies with digital but these lacked the integration and ease of use of the DF (truthfully, the Pentax came pretty close!).

I bought a tech cam and an AFD II spare recently and found myself in a very similar situation as the OP in that the DF was overkill for the slower, more considered use that I use MF for. I posted mine for sale but to be honest I'm ambivalent as to whether it sells or not because the DF is a great camera and I really should just keep it rather than selling for glass.

Here's something to consider, I trawled the internet forums (& ebay) trying to find a used DF to gauge market prices - I found exactly ZERO cameras for sale or previously sold in all the places I could find. (However, if you're looking to trade up on a new digital back then they're practically giving them away).

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
And that really is the Key to the DF it is a DSLR capable camera and i use it like that. Now I have a canon but it is more for i don't care or the need is not there cam but i dislike it. I love my Phase stuff, can't blame me and honestly I use that DF in places that one questions my sanity on like you really shoot runway with a MF cam. Yes i do thank you very much response. LOL But I am one crazy kind of guy and will use a 4x5 out of a helicopter.

Seriously it is really a tough call and Don did not admit he has a M9 in his pocket so yes he does have something to cover himself as well.

But this is a very very very good question because we all face this extra gear floating around and not sure what to do with it syndrome. The DF is a very capable box though

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I sympathize - with all of you! I have too much gear, but then I find I do use it, often when I least expect to.

My DF and Phase system are my main gear which I use whenever I can because I simply love the quality. Why settle for less for landscape work?

But for wildlife I need long teles, so there's the Sony. I rarely use moderate or wide-angles with it and should probably unload them. (But that 135 f1.8 Zeiss is SO good....can I part with it?)

But I still need a walk-around so I got an X1. It reminded me how much I loved Leicas so now I've got an M9.

Will it ever end? (Boy, I hope not!)

Gear slut? Nah....

Bill

H3dtogo

I could also consider selling off my surplus of Hasselblad lenses: 35/50/100/120/120/150/210/300mm but prices over here in Europe are as bad as anywhere. I was asking between 1650 euro and 2250 euro depending on the lens ( all as new very low actuations) but no replies on my advertisements. I have to do something, but can't decide what.

Dustbak

I am in the same boat. I am at the cross roads where I am thinking what to do. Will I continue using Hasselblad or switch to P1?
I have quite a few H bodies, several CF39 (including MS) backs that I will be upgrading to 60MP+ backs but will that be P1 or Hasselblad?
At this moment I am not sure where to go.

H3dtogo

I think i have made up mt mind: i will sell the mamiya system, sell most of my double set of Hasselblad HC lenses (iow: i will try to find someone who is interested in buing some fine camera gear). I will only keep the stuff i used last 6 months (wich means only my H3d31 with 28,100 and 120mm). So if people are looking for good lenses and more: let me know. Also for sale
Rollei Lenscontrol-S with mini ballhead and flexible arm as well as some other small parts. 675 euro.
Also for sale: Mamiya DF with 80mm schneider, Hasselblad HC 35/50/100/120/150/210 and 300mm lenses, Phase One H5, Imacon 4040 and 3020 adapterplates and cables, Sinar Digital 55mm on Tricolor Sinar P2 plate for use with ricolor shutter( also works fine with copal behind the lens shutter), complete sinar Tricolor shuttersystem, Mamiya Wide DS with 47mm Apo digitar and mamiya AFD adapterplate, Some boxes of 8/10 inch provia film, 4/5 inch RTP,...
Located in Europe and happy to provide further info. Local Pick-up preferred but willing to meet at aeroport or trainstation.

H3dtogo

Hi Guy, I know, but it seems very difficult to sell when located in Europe.... But i have already tried many times.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Well one thing is for certain -- you cannot sell it unless you list it AND price it at what the market will bear. As for being "difficult to sell," the latter is usually the issue as folks are reluctant to accept the inevitable losses. The consequence is you end up hanging to gear you never use that only continues to depreciate and lose still more value...

Paratom

why would you want to own a h3d and a Mamiya DF?
Sell the DF if you use the h3d all the time and the DF is not used.

H3dtogo

If things were that easy i would sell all things i do not use for some time... but i really love to use all kinds of old lenses and these cannot be mounted on a Hasselblad because it has no focal plane shutter. Therefore i need a mamiya body. On the other hand, maybe a DF is a bit overkill but it really was the first Mamiya that came close in hasselblad AF performance ( when using schneider lenses).

Dustbak

I have made a choice as well. I have opted to upgrading towards the H4D60 and got myself the 35-90 in the process.

I notice I mostly use my H bodies. I use them almost without noticing and thinking (much). If I have to do something they are the main tools I grab for.

In short, I feel comfortable with these tools. This is the main thing. I don't want to worry about tools (though there is still improvement to be had here).

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
I can't imagine any camera system limited to a single prime lens being very useful. Sounds like you're on the right track ... decide which system you want to use and sell the other stuff so you can expand it. Personally I find I like the PhaseOne DF camera and am selling the hasselblad gear, mainly because it interfaces with my preferred back, PhaseOne p65+.

H3dtogo

Hey Wayne, i did not say i have only one lens but of all my mamiya lenses between 35 and 300mm the only with some Hasselblad feeling to it is the 80 schneider. Especially in harsh lighting situation, back lit subjects, beach pictures against the sun the superiority of the H123 shows off. I will keep all my manual lenses and a 80+35mm AF with a 645AFD2 body.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hey Wayne, i did not say i have only one lens but of all my mamiya lenses between 35 and 300mm the only with some Hasselblad feeling to it is the 80 schneider. Especially in harsh lighting situation, back lit subjects, beach pictures against the sun the superiority of the H123 shows off. I will keep all my manual lenses and a 80+35mm AF with a 645AFD2 body.
You must not have very many of the newer "D" series Mamiya lenses other than the Schneider then. All of my "D" lenses handle back-light and flare extraordinarily well.

But one thing is clear, even by your user name here, and that's that you clearly prefer the Hassy for whatever reasons, so for sure that's the system you should be using. Sell off the entire Mamiya kit and stick with the Hassy and whatever tech camera you prefer. Simple.

Cheers,

H3dtogo

Hi Jack, it is not that they cannot handle backlight, it is more that autofocus performance is not at Hasselblad H1 level, far from. I love the AF(D) lenses but hunting and slow focus are part of the mamiya deal... unfortunately.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
My DF body AF's better than the H2 I used a couple years back, and of all my modern lenses the Schneider LS's are SLOWER focusing than the regular "D" lenses. Some of my older non-D glass is slower focusing though. Again, you clearly prefer Hassy, so that's what you should go with.

Cheers,