The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Medium format general advice

rchisholm

Ok, nobody flame me and i am not trolling. And if I mistype anything, forgive me, as i am on the bike at the gym, typing on the iPad.

I currently am shooting my M9, and am simply an enthusiast, not a pro. However, as the prices on digital systems are getting lower across the board of 35mm and mf systems, I have begun to contemplate saving for a medium format digital entry level system, for people and landscape work. I do not shoot film, as I enjoy digital photo processing and know nothing about film.

So, I am looking for general advice. I like the different look and dof the larger image provides. Don't really need more megapixels than mmy m9 gives me. Should I look for a used. Hassy digital V system? Something else? I apologize for the " open endedness" of my question. But I felt you folks are the best to be giving advice to someone who knows photography but not medium format systems. Thanks for any advice! Rob

Graham Mitchell

The Hass V is a very limited digital platform. It works, and makes sense for people who already have a large kit, but probably not recommended for newcomers.

The first questions you should ask yourself are: do you need a focal plane shutter of leaf shutter system? Which platform has the lenses you need? Do you want built-in metering? Viewfinder options? The list is long. Try reading up on these cameras and things might become clearer - they are all capable of working with digital backs:

Contax 645
Hass V
Hass H
Rollei 6008
Hy6/AFi
Mamiya 645
Mamiya RZ67
Pentax 645D
Leica S2

and who knows what's around the corner at Photokina

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Seriously, you should head to a dealer that can show you a few options, and/or take a workshop where you can have extended use of MF cams AND files AND software. Once you do that, you will find direction to both the IF and the WHAT.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Agree with Jack. You really need to get one in your hands and learn to work with it. We can recommend a dozen setups in all flavors but you need to work a system to see how it feels. Careful this is really dangerous. You start working these files there simply mo going back. One other thing you actually save a lot of money jumping above entry level cams. I have had 4 backs and it was great but wasteful as well. Reason I say work a system get the feel and learn it . Than a decision may come what system and how deep you want to dive. The new breed 40 mpx kick butt . You need to be sure though. Work with a dealer or do a workshop which is actually better. In which you have field guidance and advice.

Don Libby

Hands down the very best advice given so far is "head to a dealer".

Other than that I see nothing wrong in buying used so long as it can be upgradable as you grow. Will the body remain "open" ie, be capable of upgrading the digital back. Is the body capable of supporting multiple backs? Look at the lens selection as well.

What I wouldn't do and this is just a personal preference is buy an "all in one" medium format system ie, the digital back is non-removable/replaceable. I suggest this for several reasons among them I've found the separate digital back (my history is Kodak, and 2-Phase Ones)is a dream to clean. Having a system that allows you to remove the back will also allow you to grow such as get a newer or better camera body which is much cheaper than the back and if the back supports it maybe add a technical camera for you landscape work.

So head to the dealer and try 'em out there; see what fits your hand and eye.

Good luck!

Don