The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya 150mm f/2.8 D

shlomi

I have 150mm f/3.5, which I use in studio for portraits.
I am not thrilled with the colors/contrast, and sharpness deteriorates after f/16.
In my experience with D lenses, the colors/contrast are very good, and you can close aperture more before diffraction sets in.

Anyone has experience in how does the 150mm D compare to 75-150mm, in studio closed aperture? And also how it compares to 150/3.5?

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
And our test of the 150/2.8 vs 150/3.5

http://www.captureintegration.com/tests/lens/

Not every lens which is "new" is significantly better than the one it replaces: this one is.

HOWEVER, f/16 and above on any medium format lens is not ideal and I rarely use any of them above f/16 so I guess I can't comment specifically on your request.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work

kdphotography

150mm D is a fantastic lens. 75-150 is quite good, nice for a flexible range, but not in the same class as the 150mm. (150mm f/ 3.5 is nice, but no comparison to the D series lenses). One thing that is not mentioned often is that the 150mm D locks focus super quick, even in dim studio settings. 75-150 takes a bit longer to lock focus under the same conditions. If given the choice, the 150mm D stays on my 645DF....