The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The little-discussed downside of using medium-format digital...

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
There is an alternative compromise here btw ... have you considered a Leica M9? You'd get all of the convenience of size & speed along with as good an image quality as the lenses you put on it.

Last edited:

ustein

Contributing Editor
>this never produces good work, and only gets in the way mentally.

Maybe better phrased: this never produces good work "for me", and only gets in the way mentally.

>I am absolutely an opportunistic photographer, as the only pre-planning I ever do is to put myself in an interesting place and hope that something catches my eye while I'm there.

Same here.

SergeiR

Not sure if forcing people to think on what they shoot is downside, really.

I mean personally - it doesnt matter what i am shooting with - Nikon D700 or any of my medium format gear (film or digital), i'd still walk away with about 40-50 shots from 3-4 hour shoot with model (which is roughly 7-10 images from outfit/scene). Which i consider rather normal output. I'd rather have unique shots.

Never been click-happy, never wanna be. Of course when i used to do sports shooting that was different (and still is), but its other field, where medium format isnt exactly proper choice anyway.

Audii-Dudii

There is an alternative compromise here btw ... have you considered a Leica M9? You'd get all of the convenience of size & speed along with as good an image quality as the lenses you put on it.
I have no experience with the M9, but I did try an M8 and, for me, it didn't work very well for this type of photography. For a start, I don't like the 3:2 format at all and cropping to 4:3 cost me ~15% of the pixels, which was problematic. Then there was the very approximate framing, which also doesn't work for me, as I prefer to compose my images in-camera rather crop afterward in order to preserve as many precious pixels as possible.

I did consider a Sony A900 and Nikon D3X as alternatives to the Contax / P30+ combo, but they both have the same problem with regard to format and neither of them are appeciably smaller or lighter (or less costly, as I got some very good deals buying my gear secondhand.) And the A900 lacked Live View to boot.

darr

I do not think much has changed for me when comparing digital camera formats to film camera formats. In the past when I shot film, I used a 35mm + prime/zoom for walk-around grab shots. If I was doing professional portrait work, it was Hasselblad on tripod, and if the client's needs were 4x5" chromes, it was a monorail + tripod. Different techniques for different tools is how I always saw it. Kind of like driving an automatic and then driving a stick-shift.

Today with my digital tools, it is about the same with the exception of a MF replacing my 4x5". I do however make use of my D700 more than I ever did with my F3, and this puts it also on top of a tripod most of the time for landscape shots. I guess for me, things have gotten easier and that was one welcomed reason I made the switch to MF digital. When I learned my initial MF technique, it began with the box sitting on top of a tripod and I have shot like that ever since.

Maybe this is more about technique in ways. No matter how lightweight the gear is, when I want to design my shot, I need to have it all buttoned down on the tripod so I can leave the gear-gymnastics and give my vision the freedom to develop. I do use a Canon G9 and the thought of putting that on a tripod would make me wonder why I purchased it in the first place.

Darr

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Maybe better phrased: this never produces good work "for me", and only gets in the way mentally.
Oh yes, of course! Lots of people do great work shooting from the hip (sometimes literally) - it just doesn't work for me...

I also greatly like to be alone when I have a camera in hand...

ustein

Contributing Editor
>- it just doesn't work for me... I also greatly like to be alone when I have a camera in hand...

I understand that very well. Alone for me means photographing with Bettina. We want to be at our own pace and decide what and what not.