The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leaf Aptus II vs Canon 1Ds MkIII ?

Dolce Moda

I am considering leasing a Leaf Aptus II 5 (22mp) for my Hasselbad V.

I currently shoot mainly with a Canon 1Ds MkIII. They have pretty much the same mp , but I wonder if the Aptus would have better IQ.

I shoot primarily Beauty photography in studio on a tripod. My work can be seen at
alexmacpherson.com

Would it be worthwhile investment?

BANKER1

Your work is amazing, and you get the very best from your Canon. However, just as in film, medium format digital will take you to a new level.

Greg

David K

Workshop Member
oh yes but... you will need to shoot at 25 iso or even 50... with the aptus 22mp !
Looks like most of your images are shot with lights...so the ISO shouldn't matter much. I think you can expect a different look from MF even at the same mp's. It also depends on your shooting style... if you shoot fast and mobile you might be better off with your Canon. Best bet is to try before you buy and see if it suits you. BTW, very nice portfolio on your web site.

Dolce Moda

Thanks for your comments.

My style is slow and methodical on the tripod. I don't run around and shoot like a machine gun for my stuff. I used studio lighting almost exclusively.

I am really considering the aptus now.. Thanks guys!

shlomi

I've made this exact transition a few months ago.
IQ is much better in Aptus/Mamiya.
However there are some problems:
- You need to work in ISO 25-50 which means you must have big lights that are expensive
- Working at ISO 200-400 not realistic, above that impossible
- All camera functions are much slower and less flexible than Canon
- Any unplanned work outside becomes much harder - for planned with flashes in studio it is the same
- For good IQ you must have D lenses, and the complete set is really expensive

Oren Grad

Beauty and fashion mean fabrics. Fabric + 22 MP back = moiré.

In addition to trying the cameras, spend some quality time with the dedicated raw converter of your choice - Capture One, Leaf Capture - and make sure moiré cleanup doesn't drive you insane.

shlomi

Looking again you asked about Hass V and I answered about Mamiya.
Using old lenses there is no point to change IMO.
I tried some Hass V lenses with a 22 back and the Canon is better.
With new digital lenses it is worth it.

Oren Grad

To be clear, every MF back without an AA filter has more of a moiré problem than do the small DSLRs with AA filters. But with the older backs with relatively low pixel counts it's especially brutal.

If you hang around this forum it'll be evident that many MF back owners here have found ways to live with it. Maybe you will, too. But it's something to pay attention to - one tradeoff among many.

More generally, if this is an investment in your business, it's probably best to start not by asking "I've got a Hasselblad V-system, what can I fit to my camera?", but rather "What can each of the available MF systems do for me, at what price, and which one is likely to offer the best usability and ROI for the kind of work I do?"

Last edited:

evgeny

AF in MF cameras is slower than in 35mm DSLR. Some MF will not AF in low light.

Low ISO images have no noise, this saves time in post production.

MF digital is superb in studio with power strobes.

shlomi

I have been using Aptus 22 for a while and I've had no moire problems.
I think maybe Oren is thinking about ZD 22 which is a very different beast.
I believe opening raw files with Capture One plays a part in why I don't see moire.
I am using the old Aptus 22, I'm sure the new one is even better.

As far as focusing, if your subjects move around a lot, you will want 645DF+110LS, if you can spare a second to focus then you can use the cheaper 645AF.

If it must be Hasselblad then I don't know what is best.

yaya

Alex I think the best way to find out is to try it out. IMO if you shoot in the studio with lights on a V with those Zeiss lenses you are going to like it a lot.

Look at Alexander Koch's work in our gallery most of it is done on a V series 'blad

Yair

archivue

some Hasselblad V lenses are really nice, others less !

I'm using a 100CFe, a 50 CFi and a 80 CB with great succes.
I've tried a 80 CFe VS 80 CB... my CB was a tad better... i think the CFe must be better in the corner when using 6x6...
the 100 is a real good lens without distortion.
The 50 CFi have a floating element, and it's quite good from short distance, to inf.

I've sold my 60 Cf, really good for landscape but show too much distortion, and not as good has the 50 for object photography.

My schneider and rodenstock lenses are a little bit better, but for fashion i will go with Hasselblad V without thinking !

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I have been using Aptus 22 for a while and I've had no moire problems.
I think maybe Oren is thinking about ZD 22 which is a very different beast.
I believe opening raw files with Capture One plays a part in why I don't see moire.
I am using the old Aptus 22, I'm sure the new one is even better.

As far as focusing, if your subjects move around a lot, you will want 645DF+110LS, if you can spare a second to focus then you can use the cheaper 645AF.

If it must be Hasselblad then I don't know what is best.
Moire is a reality with every digital back and both an Aptus 22, and Aptus-II 5, and a ZD are especially prone to it. However, it is very dependent on subject matter, shooting style, etc. So it's very possible for two people to own the same digital back, shoot similar kinds of images and have completely different experiences regarding moire.

Just one more reason it's so important to rent or try any camera and use it in your workflow

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
In tests I have done moire with the least pixel pitch handles it the best. In other words the 6 micron sensors seem to be the best followed by the 6.8 like the P30+ and the 9 micron P25+ will be the worst of the lot. But Doug is right even side by side we have seen it in one and not the other when comparing backs shooting clothing. But general rule is the P40+, P65+, H40 and the Leaf equivalents in 6 micron will work the best. At least that has been my experience when running back test against each other