The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Cambo Wide RS

Clawery

I wanted to show everyone what to expect from Cambo in the near future.
Cambo has scaled down their version of the Wide DS and called it the RS. It should start to ship in July 08. Here are a few notes directly from Cambo:

Technically, the height of the camera has changed slightly, but is still 165 mm including the removable tripod mounting block,
while the width including the black anodised handles as shown in the image is only 155 mm...

Movements go upto 20 mm left/ 20 mm right and 25 rise / 15 mm fall (lens towards CCD, where the CCD moves actually)

Interface plates for Hasselblad-V, Hasselblad-H, Mamiya 645AFd, Contax 645, Leaf AFi and Sinar HY6 compatible backs,
same range of lenses interchangeable with the WideDS of course, from 24 upto 120 mm, (24,28,35,45,47,55,60,70,72,80,90,100,120)
with any other lens in between on request if possible.

The Wide RS body comes complete with handgrips, 4 spirit levels, accessory shoe on the top, removable tripod adapter, cable release,
(to be inserted through the handles either left or right - not visible in the images however).

Optional accessories include the WDS-580 viewfinder with masks, a universal ground glass (fitting to the interface mount) with CCD markings
and a set of wooden handgrips will follow also, as well as a lensplate with bayonet for the Leaf AFi/ Sinar HY6/ Rollei lenses..

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
[email protected]
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer of the Year

877-217-9870 | National
404-234-5195 | Cell

Last edited:

Clawery

Geared rear movements only, correct?
The Wide RS uses advanced (accellerated) gearead movements to all sides.
The movements have detents every 5mm, (usefull when stitching) with clear scales in mm on the side and the top, but also movement indicators visible from the rear side.

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
[email protected]

877-217-9870 | National Atlanta - Miami
404-234-5195 | Cell

PeterA

Hi Chris,

I would appreciate your opinion since you sell both. Choosing between the Horseman or the Cambo - they seem to both do the same job - could you expand on the differences between the two please? In order to aid in decision making.

Thanks
Pete

D

DavidWM

I wanted to show everyone what to expect from Cambo in the near future.
Cambo has scaled down their version of the Wide DS and called it the RS.
Hi Chris

Are the lens boards of the WDS interchangeable with the RS?

thanks, David

F

Fred Ragland

Hi Chris,

I would appreciate your opinion since you sell both. Choosing between the Horseman or the Cambo - they seem to both do the same job - could you expand on the differences between the two please? In order to aid in decision making.

Thanks
Pete
Chris, I'm also interested in the differences as you see them between the Horseman and the Cambo...suspect others are too!

When you get a moment, could you share that with us?

Thank you,

Fred

lance_schad

Workshop Member
Since Chris is on the road on his way back from our seminar in Greensboro I figured I could answer for CI.

The main differences between the Horseman and Cambo are:

The Cambo Wide DS has geared movements, the lens does rise/fall and the rear does the shift. Cambo lenses in their mounts are more expensive.Lens selection from 24mm to 120mm Schneiders and 28mm Rodenstock HR.

Horseman SWDII pro- less expensive overall,it is a little smaller with handles on both sides so it can be hand-held, the movements are manual friction based, also the back moves in the moves and the lens stays in place. Lens selection is 24mm schneider digitar, 35mm,45mm,55mm rodenstock sironar digital. The Horseman also uses the same digital back mounting plate as the PhaseOne flex-adapter so it is easy and less expensive to change mounts.

They are both well made systems. We are offering them along with the purchase P25+ or P45+ until June 30,2008 for $3750 for 35mm versions, and $4000 for 24mm versions. The horseman is also bundled with the viewfinder . Comparable retail prices for these systems is about $7500-$8000.

Lance Schad
Capture Integration - Miami/Atlanta
305-394-3196 cell | 305-534-5702 office
Capture Integration
My Blog
[email protected]

Clawery

Lance is correct. Both cameras are great, but the main advantage of the WDS or RS is the geared movements. It allows you to make more precise and repeatable shifts. If you want to stitch images this is a great feature to have.

I hope to have an answer about the lenses being interchangeable between the RS and WDS.

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
[email protected]

877-217-9870 | National Atlanta / Miami
404-234-5195 | Cell

Clawery

Hi Chris

Are the lens boards of the WDS interchangeable with the RS?

thanks, David
David,

The family of Cambo Wide cameras (WideCompact, Wide RS and Wide DS) share the same interchangeable lenspanels (of course), so customers can upgrade from WideDS to WideRS, or have 2 bodies using simultaneously.
Be it that the Wide RS is dedicated to digital platform, where the WideDS also has an analog platform based on 4x5”. Those users can not use their analog lens systems on the Wide RS without modifying it for digital use.

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
[email protected]

404-234-5195 | Cell

Paul2660

In a landscape situation, how do you focus this type of setup? either the Cambo or Horseman. I keep reading about a ground glass focus but can't figure it out.

Thanks
Paul C

Clawery

In a landscape situation, how do you focus this type of setup? either the Cambo or Horseman. I keep reading about a ground glass focus but can't figure it out.

Thanks
Paul C
Paul,

With the Hasselblad H mount, Cambo offers a ground glass (WDS-615) that can attach to the WDS. It is also offered with a hood (WDS-616). There is also a version made for the Hasselblad V that used to attach to the Hassey Super Wide.

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
[email protected]

404-234-5195 | Cell

Last edited:

BJNY

Be it that the Wide RS is dedicated to digital platform, where the WideDS also has an analog platform based on 4x5”. Those users can not use their analog lens systems on the Wide RS without modifying it for digital use.

Chris,
Do you realize lenses cannot be modified [for digital use]?
A lens' inherent image circle/resolution is permanent.

PeterA

Chris,
Do you realize lenses cannot be modified [for digital use]?
A lens' inherent image circle/resolution is permanent.
I think Chris may have meant - change to a digi lens..

Last edited: