The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Traveling with your Technical Camera

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I apologize up front for starting the ubiquitous "camera bag" thread but I think that this one is a little bit different ... :deadhorse:

I've been carrying my Alpa Max / back outfit using a Think Tank Acceleration and it's working well enough. However, given that the layout of a technical camera and a couple of lenses is somewhat different to that of the regular DLSR outfit, I was wondering if anyone had come across any carrying solutions that work exceptionally well with this type of camera system?

I'm sure the situation is the same whether you have an Alpa, Cambo, Horseman, Arca etc. All are relatively large flat panels with/without lens attached and seem to take up a lot of space if stored flat with little padding to stop them from moving back/forth in the bag. Similarly, if you store it on it's side (which is what I currently do), it takes up a long & relatively thin section in the center and the layout of the bag is a compromise for the size of lenses/mounts, digital back, plus all the other sundry stuff such as cables, meter, etc etc. Right now I tend to break it all down when I put it in the bag, including removing the viewfinder, back et al. A little tedious but not much of a problem.

It works for me at the moment but are there any innovative solutions or recommendations out there?

(apologies for the cross post to LF section too)

Last edited:

Terry

As the newbie here I will benefit greatly from this thread. Right now I've gone vertical. I'm using a Kata style messenger bag that has an extra padded case for the camera with the back attached. It works with my gear but I currently don't have that much. Can't wait to see what solutions other are using.

Rm3d
Viewfinder
Cables
Extra lens
Laser
Point & shoot camera

I can't post a picture right here but will edit from home tonight.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...ail&A=showMultipleImages&Q=&sku=562239&is=REG

Don Libby

My Cambo WRS lives fulltime in a Pelican 1600. I've got cutouts for the camera body and P45+ attached as well is a lens, normally the 35mm. There's additional cutouts that hold my 72 and 120mm lens as well as a separate one for the spacer to the 120. I've got 2-additional cutouts one that holds LLC cards and a newly acquired viewfinder. The remaining cutout which used to store my 24mm (sold it) now has my 3-spare batteries. I've got a loose zipper bag that holds my shutter cable release. The 1600 has traveled in the rear of my jeep over some nasty "roads" without any problems; the great thing is that since it's water tight it also helps keep the dust out.

I transfer the camera and one extra lens to a Lowepro (Rover Plus AW) backpack if I need to hike out any distance from the jeep..

This has worked well for me for close to 2 years I've been shooting with the Cambo. Oh I also either carry my tripod of sling that over my shoulder in its Hakuba bag.

Don

P

photohagen

the fstop tilopa is great. i've tried so many different bags. . . .rolling, shoulder, backpack, etc. the fstop tilopa (with the largest icu) suits me best for my alpa max + 3 lenses + digital back + various other accessories. the bag is well made, rigid, and well thought out for people who shoot in the field.

richard

GrahamWelland

Now THATs cool. The backpack addition would probably have my chiropractor rubbing his hands with glee at the thought of his future business.

thomas

Now THATs cool. The backpack addition would probably have my chiropractor rubbing his hands with glee at the thought of his future business.
:D
I think for a tech camera you don't have to take the largest case ;)
I use the type #50 for my tech camera kit: http://www.b-w-international.com/index.php?option=com_facileforms&Itemid=66&lang=en
I carry the camera body with leveling base, 2 lenses, groundglass, finder, finder masks, 3 batteries, lens cleaning kit, sensor brush, e-wipes, laser disto, 6x asph. loupe, WB card, lens shade, white shading diffusor, cables, light meter and the DB. I can walk around for quite a long time with this outfit, no problem.

I have also a larger case (type #61) for my Contax kit (with 5 lenses, a large ballhead and some accessories packed into it)... now, that is heavy! But even with this case I can walk around for some time. But anything longer than 1 hour or so borders on a torture... For long walks with the Contax I use a soft backpack (but only carry 3 lenses and just a few accessories then).

The reason why I prefer cases is I can step on them which saves me to carry around a ladder.
(Too, if you use a case with a back pack system you can take the case out of the back pack and put it on the ground while you keep the actual back pack system on your back. So if it's raining or if you have to put the case in dirt or mud or so it doesn't matter a lot.)

Last edited:

archivue

1 bag for the camera + MFDB + 1 lens + bino + rotaslide
1 bag for the tripod
1 small bag for lenses...
i'm using a motorbike, when i'm on site, i mount the RM3D on the tripod, and leave both bags on the top case... then i just carry the tripod and a small bag with other lenses.

i still looking for the perfect case for airplane... while the peli 1560 seems be perfect for the stuff i need to carry... it's too big for some company...

if peli would made a case in the exact dimension, i will buy it on the spot...
the 1510 is too small the 1560 is too large...

55 cm x 40 cm x 20 cm

baxter

I've been using the Kata Bumblee PL-220. It was brilliant for changing between the Phase One 645DF and 4 lenses and a Linhof Techno, Linhof sliding back, 3 LF lenses, loupes, viewing screens, plus Pentax Spotmeter, Lee filters+holders and 2 sets of bellows etc.

Not that it is necessarily a requirement for this thread, but I could swap camera systems in 2 minutes in the back of the car in the dark! The lens cocoons really work well. Whilst the loud yellow interior might not be everyone's cup of tea, it is superb for finding small, invariably black bits of camera which have gone astray!

The harness is really comfortable and the bag is much more lightweight than many competitors.

The loud pink shorts are optional......

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

I wish all manufacturers would provide bags with light colored interiors for the exact reasons that you cite. I have a Crumpler backpack that is very similar but orange and it's very helpful (even if the Crumplers always seem too snug/shallow for much stuff). I never quite understood the logic for black or dark grey interiors because they are like dark coffins which make it harder than necessary to find stuff in the bag. I've even had the scenario where I've sold a bag and when carrying out a final last check of the contents I've found minor gear that was hiding at the bottom of the compartments that I would easily have seen had they been brighter.

Is there much usable space in the front compartment of the Kata PL-220? Some of these packs have big pockets but they are so tight that you can't put much in them.

baxter

The Kata website shows some good detail shots and gives plenty of information.

The side pockets are quite thin, I use them for a 105mm pola and the other pocket has another pola and 10x ND filter plus spare cable release.

Front top pocket has things for pens etc I used for spare batts, memory cards and few odds/sods. The bottom pocket held the waterproof cover, spare batteries and other small stuff. They are not massive.

The main compartment is significantly deeper than many bags of the same size. I found this worked really well. The Phase 28mm and 150mm lenses could stand on their ends easily. WIth the Techno, you can see how this went in sideways without poking out the top.

Then there is the compartment for the 17in laptop... or in my case, the darkcloth and camping towel instead. It's not as easy as a Lowepro to strap stuff to, with elastic or webbing fitments.

When faced with the new bag having only seen it on the web, I thought that there is no way I'm going to fit it in, it's all the wrong shape and it needs to go back. In fact it was me who was wrong and simply needed to go back to the drawing board and rethink. Now, I'd be reluctant to change!

GrahamWelland

Here's my current bag choice - Think Tank Airport Acceleration - ok for Alpa & Aptus with a couple of lenses, Lee Filters, meter & disto D8. Would prefer something that didn't have to rest on the straps in the mud but oh well:

Tim Ernst

I"m with CMB and us and use an f.64 MFX Case for my Alpa system and it works great - mostly for the reason you site Graham - no longer do I need to set my bag down in the mud and muck, and there is often a lot of that at my feet. With a hook underneath my big Gitzo I can also hang the bag there and have full access to everything if I need to. The Alpa system is so much lighter than my Phase One system that a shoulder bag works fine. I've also got three backpack bags when needed for really long trips as well, but I think I"m going to love the shoulder bag. FYI, I will often carry the shoulder bag with a waist belt if I'm going to hike a mile or two but don't want to mess with one of the backpacks - the belt adds a great deal of stability to this rig and transfers some weight to my hips.

GrahamWelland

The f.64 looks ideal in many ways. I HATE having to lay the pack in the muck on the strap side. I also like the look of the Kata Banana-2/3 bags too although i'd want to check these out in person unless someone has some pics of a loaded bag with technical or LF gear.

baxter

The Kata Bumblebee has a removable elasticated rain cover which I use upside down, so it covers up straps when placed on mud, wet sand and rocks. Being detachable, it is easy to clean, something which can't be said for the Lowepro cover.