The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Alpa Products being announced

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
ALPA Photokina News

Things are Simple at the Top

Uncompromising photographic instruments. A modular camera platform. A coherent concept. All models fully integrated. Each optimised for a specific task.

ALPA of Switzerland will present a whole range of new and amazing products at Photokina 2010 (hall 2.1, stand B 21). Each completely integrated in the existing modular system and compatible with the first camera from 1998.

All products will become available in Q4/2010 or Q1/2011.

NEW CAMERAS & ACCESSORIES

ALPA 12 STC
The all new ALPA 12 STC (Stitching/Shift Travel Compact) is the youngest member of the ALPA 12 family. It will set the benchmark for compact technical cameras - especially in the class of truly handheldable technical cameras not only for tripod use. The ALPA 12 STC is of course prepared for digital use (digital backs of up to 60 MP at the moment) and with some rollfilm backs up to 6x9.

The ALPA 12 STC allows the travelling photographer free hand operation as well as fast, convenient and reliable stitching and shifting (geared and free-wheeling) on tripod. As all other ALPA 12 models the STC is completely integrated in the modular and extensive ALPA 12 platform. All movements got realised with roller-bearings - not the cheapest but defintively the most precise, stable and long lasting way.

ALPA Sync Release
All digital backs need a synchronisation between the shutter and the back. In addition some Phase One and Hasselblad devices need a "wake-up" signal before the exposure. ALPA offers with the ALPA Sync Release a large and unique selection of synchronisation solutions - for the first time really optimal for tripod and freehand use.

ALPA HPF High Precision Focusing Rings
Certain photographic applications need an extremely differentiated scale focusing - e.g. when using a laser distance meter. ALPA offers with the ALPA HPF rings a unique and retrofittable solution for these requirements which is - in contrast to other offerings - truly usable in freehand operation.

ALPA iPhone® holder
The new ALPA iPhone® holder allows the technophile photographers using their iPhone® 3/4 and iPod touch® (later also others) a secure and firm mounting of their device on top of an ALPA. Four positions are available:

horizontal, symmetric
horizontal, minimum prallax
vertical, symmetric
vertical, minimum parallax
Possible applications are...

electronic viewfinder (ALPA recommends apps like "Viewefinde Pro" or "ProCamera")
as GPS logger
as control unit for electronical shutters and the like
as digitale notepad
other apps are under development

ALPA Lens Corrector (reloaded)
ALPA will release new distortion correction profiles of over 90 third party lenses/focal lengths for the all free ALPA Lens Corrector. This Photoshop® plug-in allows the distortion correction at it's best including movements. Why for free? Just because we love what we are doing! With first priority there will be an update containing the new ALPA lenses from Rodenstock and Schneider-Kreuznach and the most common digital backs plus various lenses of 3rd party manufacturers for dSLRs and Micro 4/3 cameras.

ALPA Lens Corrector
There is always room for improvement - high-end distortion correction for ALPA photographers

NEW LENSES

Rodenstock HR Digaron-W 4.0/32 mm
Focal length: 32 mm
Aperture: f 4.0
Shutter: Copal 0, others on request
Image circle: 90 mm
Distortion: < 2.6%, correction profile for ALPA Lens Corrector (free)
Filters: E86 mm
Weight: 990 g

Schneider Super-Digitar 5.6/28 mm XL
Focal length: 28 mm
Aperture: f 5.6
Image circle: 90 mm
Distortion: < 0.5%, correction profile for ALPA Lens Corrector (free)
Filters: with adapter E95 mm or E112 mm
Weight: -

Schneider Apo-Digitar 5.6/60 mm XL - Schneider ALPA Apo-Helvetar 5.6/60 mm
Focal length: 60 mm
Aperture: f 5.6
Image circle: 120 mm
Distortion: < 0.4%, correction profile for ALPA Lens Corrector (free)
Filters: E62 mm, E67 mm (Apo-Helvetar)
Weight: -

THIRD PARTY PRODUCTS

Acadalus CPS h1 - Self-leveling camera head
ALPA shows the unique Acadalus CPS h1 by Koch Photography, Schaffhausen/Switzerland.

Acadalus CPS h1

Check it all out here http://www.alpa.ch/en/news/2010/alpa-photokina2010-news.html?year=&num=

Terry

Pictures would be useful :D would love to see what they are talking about with the change to focussing and the change to the size of the camera.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I'm intrigued by the iPhone holder. If it's supporting the use of viewfinder apps then it'll be an interesting design exercise. Now I LOVE my Alpa but I shudder to think of the cost of this given that it doesn't sound like a one piece item ...

I'm also interested to hear more about the focus scale updates too and what's involved in retro-fitting.

PeterA

This 12STC is going to be a game changer in terms of compact tech camera with X/Y movements. I want one with rosewood handle and in built wake up cable for blad !

jlm

Workshop Member
interesting...the I-phone holder implies your back would be able to send an image to the phone for focus/compositon check or is the Iphone just used as a sort of external viewfinder?

cmb_

Yes, I'm afraid I'm going to want the 12STC too as well as the new 28 or 32. It will be interesting to compare the 12STC and Max.

Jeff Turner

interesting...the I-phone holder implies your back would be able to send an image to the phone for focus/compositon check or is the Iphone just used as a sort of external viewfinder?
Reading the information on the Alpa site regarding recommended iphone apps (e.g. Viewfinder Pro) it appears that the iphone is acting as a viewfinder only with no integration with the digital back. The Viewfinder Pro app seems to have a wide choice of pro MF cameras, backs and lenses to emulate what your digital back will photograph. ...And yes, wide angle adapters are required for 45mm and 35mm 645 lenses....more to buy....

I just want to shoot tethered to an iPad....please!!! Somebody??? Anybody???:confused:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I'm with you Jeff. I think the first solution for that will be the winner. Hope someone is listening

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Pictures would be useful :D would love to see what they are talking about with the change to focussing and the change to the size of the camera.
ALPA HPF , high performance focusing (ring) . Yes I would like to see an image of that device too .
I assume , the HPF ring will be a different one for each focal length .
Additional to that , I do not see a clear statement from ALPA , if you will still need a laser distometer to obtain the correct distance to your subject .
I assume yes . An explanation of how the HPF ring works would be fine .

stephengilbert

Jurgen,

I think the new focus ring would replace the current helicoil, and you'd need one for each lens. I'd like one for my 47mm, but given ALPA's prices, might pass on getting one for my 35. I thought I read somewhere that the new focus ring could be installed without returning the lens to ALPA.

Steve

thomas

ALPA HPF , high performance focusing (ring) . Yes I would like to see an image of that device too .
I assume , the HPF ring will be a different one for each focal length .
Additional to that , I do not see a clear statement from ALPA , if you will still need a laser distometer to obtain the correct distance to your subject .
I assume yes . An explanation of how the HPF ring works would be fine .
as Alpa says they are retrofittable it's most likely just a much finer scaling of the distance indication. Which will work very good, I guess.

thomas

jotloob

Subscriber Member
as the rings are a user replaceable retrofit it must be an easy and safe way to mount the rings.

Looking at the lens mounts there is no way to replace the old focus ring without disassembling the lens.
So most likely the new focus rings simply attach on top of the old rings...!?

Thomas

In my restless nights I thought of an additional ring with an additional fine gear . You might disengage a detent , roughly adjust to say 5m , engage the detent and then fine adjust to a new fine scale ? :bugeyes:
Ok.Ok. These are all speculations of course .

Paul from OPTECHS could give some relief soon .

thomas

Paul from OPTECHS could give some relief soon .
he probably can't right now due to NDA...?
Alpa is definitely the first booth to visit for me next week at Photokina...
Seems my Cambo turns more and more into a kind of Frankencamera... Alpa focus rings, Sinar lens shade, modified focussing hood and probably an Arca or Alpa groundglass...

cmb_

The 12 STC is 18mm shift left/right (36mm total) OR 18mm rise/fall - one or the other depending on camera orientation, not both horizontal shift AND rise and fall. Max meets SWA.