The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Alpa Products being announced

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
The High Precision Focusing Rings look like they will be a nice addition. I guess we need to thank Arca and the Rm3d for their groundbreaking effort and now others will have to follow.

thomas

The High Precision Focusing Rings look like they will be a nice addition. I guess we need to thank Arca and the Rm3d for their groundbreaking effort and now others will have to follow.
yes!
The focus rings look really good - I'm sure they will work very well. Apparently you simply have to attach them on the regular focus ring, as I thought.
Looking forward to using them.

cmb_

Thomas - download the price list at the bottom of the news page to which I linked on the Alpa site. From there you can see that there are three parts to the new focusing rings: the focusing ring, a scale for the focusing ring, and a focus adjustment lever. The actual focussing ring may be a new part because they make a distinction by calling it the High Precision Focussing Ring.

GrahamWelland

Looks very cool. Iphone holder seems a weeeeeee bit pricey.
It's Alpa ... everything is a weeeeeee bit pricey! :eek:

I had to buy a replacement hex bolt for my stitching adapter ... $30. It makes replacement Leica lens hoods or eyepiece magnifiers seem positively inexpensive by comparison. However, I have to say that it is at least exquisitely made.

jotloob

Subscriber Member

Thanks for the update .
It looks all very interesting and exciting .
For me , the most important new item is the HPF ring solution , which I would like to have for my four lenses . Waiting for more price details . This solution seems to be simpler than I thought it would be .

Looking at the fine scale , I think you will need a laser distometer in addition and a little table to give you the exact figures between the bigger marks .

jotloob

Subscriber Member
It's Alpa ... everything is a weeeeeee bit pricey! :eek:

I had to buy a replacement hex bolt for my stitching adapter ... $30. It makes replacement Leica lens hoods or eyepiece magnifiers seem positively inexpensive by comparison. However, I have to say that it is at least exquisitely made.

It has always been more expensive to have special preferences .
Think of exclusive wrist watches (also swiss made) or luxury cars . Just for example .
But therefore , it is an ALPA , and in my eyes an exclusive high end piece of craftsman ship and beautiful as well .

GrahamWelland

Jurgen,

The truth is that I'm attracted to owning and using the best qualitative things in life such as the two other items you mentioned, watches and, for quite a while, exotic vehicles (I made it through THAT particular mid-life crisis :ROTFL: - by comparison photography is cheap - actually I don't own a P65+ so maybe I'll should hold judgement on that for now) and so I do understand exactly what you're talking about.

I jest about the pricing but the truth is that I'm VERY happy with my Alpa gear and absolutely appreciate the quality of design and craftsmanship every time I take it out of the bag and use it. I find shooting with it to actually be a pleasurable experience in a way that is different to shooting with my D3x or even the Leica M9 that funded this one. I've only had my system for a short while but I absolutely love it's simplicity and use in a way that other format systems just don't compare.

With respect to the new products, the new 12 STC looks to be ideal for someone that doesn't want the bulk (or shift & rise capabilities) of the Max. Great for travel and kind of like an SWA for those wanting to stitch more often.

The new HOF focus rings definitely look like they'll put to bed the 'focus precision' competitive argument and having actual distances on the dial should make it easier/faster to use in the field with a distometer.

The iPhone adapter technically looks interesting although I'm not convinced it's actually for me. I'm using my iPhone to frame freely (as I would have done with a cardboard frame) and then use the Alpa viewfinder on camera to approximate to what I've seen, followed either by using the ground glass or zone focus and composition with the digital back. Fixing the iPhone in that case might not be as advantageous as expected although if you didn't have the optical viewfinder then I can see the appeal. Regarding the pricing, well it's definitely not out of line with other Alpa items such as the viewfinder, spirit levels or accessory attachments for the system. (You could argue though that they do push the limits for the small stuff even compared to our Leica friends).

I'll lay off the price jesting now ... ;)

Last edited:

Geoff

What is the main difference between the SWA and the new STC? Is the STC that much smaller? Does one the SWA have the ability to both rise and shift at the same time - and if so, what is the main attraction of the STC?

Great products, just wondering.

stephengilbert

The SWA has front rise only, while the STC has left and right shift (or, if turned on its side, rise and fall). If you want to shoot panos, the STC allows three quick shots (left, center, right) without any change in the camera's position. So it provides the rear shift function of the Max in a smaller camera, but without the Max's front rise and fall.

thomas

The new HOF focus rings definitely look like they'll put to bed the 'focus precision' competitive argument
The Rm3D will still achieve higher precison as the resolution of the focus ring is much higher. However for most purposes the new Apla focus rings will do fine, especially if you don't shoot wide open.

cmb_

The SWA has front rise only, while the STC has left and right shift (or, if turned on its side, rise and fall). If you want to shoot panos, the STC allows three quick shots (left, center, right) without any change in the camera's position. So it provides the rear shift function of the Max in a smaller camera, but without the Max's front rise and fall.
Absolutely correct but I can add that the 12 SWA has 25mm of front rise (the lens moves up). However, the camera can be mounted upside-down so it can become 25mm of fall. Additionally, for stitching you can mount the lens on the rear of the camera and the digital back on the front of the camera - now the lens remains stationary and the back moves giving you 25mm of shift in one direction either horizontal or vertical depending on how the camera is oriented either landscape or portrait.

Stitching 3-panels with the STC the center position will be in the center of the image circle and the left and right frames move left and right from the center. A 3-panel stitch with the 12 SWA only allows you to move in one direction away from the center of the image circle.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I need to start digging in my backyard see if there is any gold chunks in the ground. Of course i have to get past the dog crap first. LOL

I tell my kids this all the time. You know that money tree in the back yard , well it's growing upside down now. LOL

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Absolutely correct but I can add that the 12 SWA has 25mm of front rise (the lens moves up). However, the camera can be mounted upside-down so it can become 25mm of fall. Additionally, for stitching you can mount the lens on the rear of the camera and the digital back on the front of the camera - now the lens remains stationary and the back moves giving you 25mm of shift in one direction either horizontal or vertical depending on how the camera is oriented either landscape or portrait.

Stitching 3-panels with the STC the center position will be in the center of the image circle and the left and right frames move left and right from the center. A 3-panel stitch with the 12 SWA only allows you to move in one direction away from the center of the image circle.
The STC is a much better setup no question about it.

Charlie time to put your order in. :D