The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

ARCA-SWISS | NEWS | PHOTOKINA 2010

• Thread starter communication ARCA-SWISS
  • Start date

David Klepacki

I would also like to know what, if anything, differentiates the RL3D from the Rm3D other than size.
RL3D: up to 4x5 format
===============
Horizontal Shift: +20mm / -20mm
Vertical Shift: +10mm / -40mm
Tilt OR Swing: +/- 5 degrees
Weight: 1.45 kg

RM3D: up to 6x9 format
===============
Horizontal Shift: +15mm / -15mm
Vertical Shift: +30mm / -10mm
Tilt (only): +/- 5 degrees
Weight: 1.05 kg

RM3Di, Same as RM3D except:
===================
Tilt OR Swing: +/- 5 degrees

Terry

David,
Does the Rm3d continue to exist side by side with the i version?
Has pricing/availability been announced on the new models?

David Klepacki

David,
Does the Rm3d continue to exist side by side with the i version?
Has pricing/availability been announced on the new models?
As far as I know, the Rm3d has not been discontinued and will exist as an option along with the i version.

Pricing is available and should be circulated to the dealers within the week. I do not know any of the shipping dates yet.

Terry

Is the only difference between the two the ability to use swing? What is the round spot upper right. Looks like something plugs in there.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Is the only difference between the two the ability to use swing? What is the round spot upper right. Looks like something plugs in there.
My guess is it is an electronic rotation encoder for the focusing mechanism.
-bob

David Klepacki

Yes, the only functional difference is that the front lens mount is not fixed and can be rotated to transform the tilt movement into a swing movement.

The "round spot" is the connector for the optional E-module. The same connector is found on top of the Rm3d.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I actually like the idea of the RM2D with just the rise and fall with the option to stitch. What I was wondering though to stitch you need to lay it on it's side so is there some type of attachment to take the grip off and add a tripod set up. Be nice to just release from clamp flip to it's side for stitching and rotate your back to do a nice horizontal stitch. The rise and fall would be more important to me but a easy way to do a stitch and a good price may just push me over the edge plus the small size.

David Klepacki

I actually like the idea of the RM2D with just the rise and fall with the option to stitch. What I was wondering though to stitch you need to lay it on it's side so is there some type of attachment to take the grip off and add a tripod set up. Be nice to just release from clamp flip to it's side for stitching and rotate your back to do a nice horizontal stitch. The rise and fall would be more important to me but a easy way to do a stitch and a good price may just push me over the edge plus the small size.
The Rm2d has both vertical and horizontal movements in the rear. For comparison with my post above:

RM2D: up to 6x9 format
===============
Vertical Shift: +20mm / -10mm
Tilt OR Swing: No lens movements
Weight: 0.7 kg

Basically, in comparison to the Rm3d, the size of the Rm2d was reduced in the vertical by reducing its vertical movement (10mm less), but it was NOT reduced in the horizontal. The size savings in the horizontal was reduced by eliminating the option for an E-module with the Rm2d.

Terry

It doesn't look like there is a knob to turn for the shift on the Rm2D- do you have a back view of camera?

Edit: and the PDF only talks about vertical rise/fall not horizontal.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
The Rm2d has both vertical and horizontal movements in the rear. For comparison with my post above:

RM2D: up to 6x9 format
===============
Vertical Shift: +20mm / -10mm
Tilt OR Swing: No lens movements
Weight: 0.7 kg

Basically, in comparison to the Rm3d, the size of the Rm2d was reduced in the vertical by reducing its vertical movement (10mm less), but it was NOT reduced in the horizontal. The size savings in the horizontal was reduced by eliminating the option for an E-module with the Rm2d.

Awesome David I completely missed that than. You made my day thanks. So basically the limitation from the RM3D is obviously Tilt and just some vertical movement which may not be so bad actually. That is pretty good. Now hopefully the price is within range for me

archivue

There was already two versions of RM3D... the first one was smaller than the RM3Di, while the second one (mine) is basically an Rm3Di without the option to turn the frond to change the tilt axe.
They increase the RM3D for stitching reasons...

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
It would have been nice (Arca-Swiss are you listening) if both handles were made the same with rail mounts so turning it on its side were easier without moving the center of gravity so far off in a tripod mounted situation. This would be good for the RM3d but even more so for the RM2d.
Come to think about it, rail mounts on all sides would allow orientation any way you want with corresponding finder position to match. Of course if it had both tilts AND swings, the mounts would be fine as-is.
-bob

Last edited:

David Klepacki

Awesome David I completely missed that than. You made my day thanks. So basically the limitation from the RM3D is obviously Tilt and just some vertical movement which may not be so bad actually. That is pretty good. Now hopefully the price is within range for me
The other limitation of the Rm2d is that you cannot add the E-module to it. You may not need this, but if you are shooting around people you should strongly consider this option. I have seen people fired on the spot for being too liberal with their use of a laser, which of course could blind someone.

thomas

On the Rm2D the lateral movements are not geared, only the vertical movements.
It's a real beauty!
Looking at the entire line of Arca cameras starting with the Rm2D over the M-Line to the F-line I think the integration of this system is really great. You can use many parts and items on any of the cameras.

The new 4D head is very nice! Relatively small, very lightweight and it provides very smooth adjustments.
Arca has introduced a new - smaller! - mount. So be careful to order these items with the old Arca Swiss mount (which is still possible) ... unless you want to use the new camera plates.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
This was one of the parts of today that really surprised me.

Partly due to the lack of website and partly because I felt less "access" to Arca Swiss than Cambo (where we've got a very strong working relationship with Rene Rook) I had not learned the Arca Swiss system as well as Cambo.

I must say I was very impressed with the RM3Di and the overall Arca technical body system. I will get detailed replies to all the questions here soon. However, I believe some of the information is incorrect - I'll confirm before I put any down to avoid any further confusion.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work

thomas

This was one of the parts of today that really surprised me.
to me it's clearly the most thought-out sytem (if you look at the entire system, not only one particular camera) and the bulit quality is exceptional (and I absolutely don't see any advantage for Alpa here... rather the opposite).
I do like all these cameras (Arca, Cambo, Alpa...) a lot and it's really interessting to see them side by side as there are a lot of little details that are different. I am still finding the Cambo WRS a really clever camera that offers a good many workflow comforts the other cameras are missing. And of course it's also a very well made camera providing high accuracy (only the finish of the Cambos is maybe not so impressive... but that has nothing to do with its capabilities. Then again Cambo showed a special edition of the WRS with a leather front and dark wood handles ...).
But looking at system integration Arca really stands out ... IMO.