The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leaf Aptus-II 12 - 80 Mpx!!!

archivue

as an architect photographer, i'm dreaming of this kind of large file (and can't afford it, my clients need A3 max. anyway... )... but i'm suspicious about the diffraction problem... if you need large DOF, you will face a real problem here !

fotografz

as an architect photographer, i'm dreaming of this kind of large file (and can't afford it, my clients need A3 max. anyway... )... but i'm suspicious about the diffraction problem... if you need large DOF, you will face a real problem here !
I see a back like this as a super tech/view camera solution over most other applications. Lenses available that outperform anything available to reflex users and full movements to mitigate DOF issues.

I'd love to see this puppy on my Rollei Xact-II ... which will happen when I win the Lotto next week ... :D

-Marc

S

SCHWARZZEIT

Diffraction is an optical problem that occurs no matter what kind of sensor you use. The only difference is that with a higher res sensor you'll be able to resolve the diffraction pattern better and you'll notice the effect of diffraction at wider f-stops on the pixel level of the file. But when you compare different sensors of various resolution you should compare them at the same print size. Pixel peeping each at native file size won't do.

-Dominique

archivue

Diffraction is an optical problem that occurs no matter what kind of sensor you use. The only difference is that with a higher res sensor you'll be able to resolve the diffraction pattern better and you'll notice the effect of diffraction at wider f-stops on the pixel level of the file. But when you compare different sensors of various resolution you should compare them at the same print size. Pixel peeping each at native file size won't do.

-Dominique
doing so, "from my experience..." visually more pixel density you have, thinner is the DOF !

S

SCHWARZZEIT

doing so, "from my experience..." visually more pixel density you have, thinner is the DOF !
You're right. But that's just a visual impression you get when you view a high res print from a close distance. The classic concept of DOF is based on the visual impression at a distance that allows you to have the whole image within your field of view.

On high res images you have some areas that are still within the classic DOF but less sharp than at the sharpest plane of focus. But you can only see it if you step closer the print or zoom deep into the file. On a lower res image that whole area is equally blurry because the sensor simply cannot resolve any more detail.

-Dominique

David Klepacki

It doesn't work like that. When you talk about the resolving power of a lens there's always a threshold contrast in the MTF of the lens to consider. Even though digital sensors are more sensitive to contrast than most films you'll need more contrast from your lens if you intend to resolve detail close to the sensor's Nyquist frequency. If you test the aerial image of a modern high-end MF lens by projecting a lith lens target through that lens you could see that the actual resolving power of the lens on axis is diffraction limited between f/5.6 and f/8. At the center many 35mm and MF lenses can resolve more than 200 lp/mm. Some Zeiss glass was quoted at 400 lp/mm, diffraction limited at f/4.
The real challenge in lens design is getting enough contrast towards the edges of the image circle. But 100 lp/mm at 35mm off axis should still be possible.
Yes, of course a lens can deliver much more resolution than 100 lp/mm. I was merely pointing out that the effective Nyquist limit of this 80MP sensor is approximately 70 lp/mm, and not 100 lp/mm.

thomas

Yair showed me some first captures of the Aptus II 12 and the resolution is absolutely incredible.
You will hardly ever see any serious moire with this sensor.
Even the Phase 80D lens looks extremely good on this sensor edge to edge (stopped down).
Really promising for anybody looking for high rez.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Waiting to see what configurations this sensor Phase and leaf will do down the road. You know it is coming question is when.

yaya

Sorry all that I don't have too much time to post more as you can imagine this new multi-shot killer keeps me quite busy here in Cologne.

But perhaps as a small teaser I can post the following 25 sec/ 100 iso/ f9 image I just took from my hotel window

Ignore the bottom left corner this is the pillow I used as a tripod:)

645 DF body with a 45mm D lens;

And a couple of crops:

More to come over the coming weeks with hi-res download links etc.

Yair

yaya

And one more before I catch a few ZZZs;

Last weekend from Waterloo Bridge in London. 645DF, 80mm LS lens @ f11. These are two hand-held frames with allot of overlap just to get the South Bank on the Right into the frame. The final stitch is over 15,500 pixel wide

And some 100% crops

These buildings are nearly 7km away from where I was...(and it's a standard 80mm...)

Yair

fotografz

Holy Smokes!

WOWZER!

-Marc

And one more before I catch a few ZZZs;

Last weekend from Waterloo Bridge in London. 645DF, 80mm LS lens @ f11. These are two hand-held frames with allot of overlap just to get the South Bank on the Right into the frame. The final stitch is over 15,500 pixel wide

And some 100% crops

These buildings are nearly 7km away from where I was...(and it's a standard 80mm...)

Yair

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Man, I would like to shoot that with some Digitar or Digaron lenses. My eyes feel scratchy just thinking about it!

KETCH ROSSI

Very Nice Yair, can you post one full frame, no crops at all? Really like to get the grasp of how the Ratio looks on such wide range with over 10,000 Horizontal Pixels.

As I do love the wider Ratio of the 10, but hope to see the 12 work its way in to my hands ;)

SergeiR

Must. Resist. Temptation. Must. Stop. Drooling.
--
But nice examples, seriously. Thats the kind i always like to see - real life shots, not some lab generated fluff.

narikin

An interesting question is why Phase have released their newest and top res sensor as a Leaf back rather than Phase One?

My suspicions would be that there is an upgrade of the Phase package (screen, electronics, controls) on on its way, but not ready yet. Hence the release of the new sensor in the 'old' Leaf packaging. I would expect to see the new 80mp sensor in a new design Phase back next year, maybe in Q2?

Though this is all conjecture on my part, it is very apparent that the thing everyone has been asking for -a better Phase screen + interface - was not announced.

Last edited:

gsking

Just buy it already. You know you want it.

See? That wasn't so hard, now was it?

Now, slowly and carefully....sell me your 17 or 22 or 5 for cheap.

Is my Jedi Mind Trick working? ;)

Christopher

I think P1/Leaf wanted to show, that they are even more in front when it comes to the MP race. In addition they know (at least I really hope) that a P85+ has to have more than just 80Mp. We need some real inovations.