The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leaf Aptus-II 12 - 80 Mpx!!!

vieri

See DPReview
and, of course: Leaf's announcements: Leaf announced its new 80 Mpx digital back - wow!! :D I am not sure I am interested personally, being very happy with my P65+, but this is definitely something - and something that will require a lot of computer power, too! :D

I thought the forum enjoy the news... some new, great ways to part from some of that hard-earned cash! :ROTFL:

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
We've posted a 100% JPG compliments of a test done by Leaf and photographer Julian Cornish-Trestrail.

A single-shot's back's mortal enemy has always been fabric (at least when shot with sharp lenses). Here is an unretouched image using a Rodenstock 90mm showing really impressive sharpness. Do the evaluation yourself.

Leaf is claiming this as a as-good-or-better than the best multishot solutions. We're anxious to get our hands on it to do our own tests, but this test shoot is extremely promising in that regard.

A raw file is not possible until a public version of Capture One or Leaf Capture is released with support for the raw files from the Leaf Aptus-II 12.

Download Leaf Aptus-II 12 full resolution file

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work

David Klepacki

lenses need to resolve at list 100 cy/mm...
NO, this is not an achromatic sensor. It is a color sensor that uses Bayer spectral separation of Red, Blue and Green. So, in general this sensor will require lenses that resolve approximately 70 lp/mm. If it was mono or achromatic, then you would be correct in your estimate of 100 lp/mm.

KETCH ROSSI

why wait? get the aptus II 10r..has a larger sensor in the landscape mode than the 12..
Yeah the Leaf Aptus II 10R was the original intent, but considering that what really matters most to my work is PRINT SIZE, and that the cropping out of the Horizontal lines is minimum, the 12R will make more sense, but still have to do a test with both to insure we are getting the right cameras, since we need TWO.

KETCH ROSSI

We've posted a 100% JPG compliments of a test done by Leaf and photographer Julian Cornish-Trestrail.

A single-shot's back's mortal enemy has always been fabric (at least when shot with sharp lenses). Here is an unretouched image using a Rodenstock 90mm showing really impressive sharpness. Do the evaluation yourself.

Leaf is claiming this as a as-good-or-better than the best multishot solutions. We're anxious to get our hands on it to do our own tests, but this test shoot is extremely promising in that regard.

A raw file is not possible until a public version of Capture One or Leaf Capture is released with support for the raw files from the Leaf Aptus-II 12.

Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work

Doug.. while I wait for Steve to return my email, and see what is cooking up for us, what are delivery dates, and known specials for the 12R and V-Grip, oh and the 120 TS?

paulmoore

Yeah and I just scream out to Steve of capture Integration to get one, before I pull the plug on the H4D60 ;)

KETCH ROSSI

Hehe, yeah thanks Paul, seen that one, just that Steve is my Guy over at CaptureIntegration ;)

Graham Mitchell

I'll repeat my question from another forum here, as it remains unanswered for the moment.

Will the Aptus II 12R (with the rotating sensor) be available in an AFi mount? If not, then which 6x6 camera is this rotating sensor intended for?

Loc Pham

I'll repeat my question from another forum here, as it remains unanswered for the moment.

Will the Aptus II 12R (with the rotating sensor) be available in an AFi mount? If not, then which 6x6 camera is this rotating sensor intended for?
I would like to know this also.

KETCH ROSSI

The Leaf Aptus II 12 same as the Leaf Aptus II 10 do work on the DF body, not sure about compatibility with the Afi, but IMO it will work on it to.

Last edited:

Jeff Turner

The Leaf site lists the following cameras as compatible for the Leaf Aptus II 10R:
Hasselblad V series (not including 200 and 2000 versions)
Medium format (with adapter): Mamiya RZ67, RZ67 Pro II, RZ Pro IId, RB67, Fuji GX680II, GX680III, Bronica SQA/SQAi
Compatible view cameras: Alpa, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Horseman, Linhof, Sinar, Toyo, Rollei X-Act2 and others via Leaf Graflok or third-party adapters

This might be a clue for the II 12R...no DF, No AFi...I understand the dimensional constraints on the DF...the height of the rear camera opening is just not enough for a rotated sensor and would block the ends of the sensor. The lack of AFi compatbility for the II 10R may also suggest that there are no plans to revive the AFi.

KETCH ROSSI

why wait? get the aptus II 10r..has a larger sensor in the landscape mode than the 12..
Actually Paul, the Leaf Aptus II 12 has a smaller sensor in the Horizontal Landscape, but has more resolution even on the Landscape Horizontal field of view then the 10, as its sensor is 10.320 Pixels Horizontally vs. the 9,288 of the Aptus II 10.

yaya

Yeah I guess the Rotating sensor might not go with the DF after all then.. :(
Even if it was technically possible (it isn't), you would get a ~40.3x40.3, 60MP crop on a 645 body, which you can do anyway by using SensorFlex...

Yair

S

SCHWARZZEIT

NO, this is not an achromatic sensor. It is a color sensor that uses Bayer spectral separation of Red, Blue and Green. So, in general this sensor will require lenses that resolve approximately 70 lp/mm. If it was mono or achromatic, then you would be correct in your estimate of 100 lp/mm.
It doesn't work like that. When you talk about the resolving power of a lens there's always a threshold contrast in the MTF of the lens to consider. Even though digital sensors are more sensitive to contrast than most films you'll need more contrast from your lens if you intend to resolve detail close to the sensor's Nyquist frequency. If you test the aerial image of a modern high-end MF lens by projecting a lith lens target through that lens you could see that the actual resolving power of the lens on axis is diffraction limited between f/5.6 and f/8. At the center many 35mm and MF lenses can resolve more than 200 lp/mm. Some Zeiss glass was quoted at 400 lp/mm, diffraction limited at f/4.
The real challenge in lens design is getting enough contrast towards the edges of the image circle. But 100 lp/mm at 35mm off axis should still be possible.

With the smaller 5.2 micron sensel pitch of the latest MFD sensor generation you can benefit from a high performance lens design more than with the older 6 micron sensors. Of course you'll also be able to spot flaws in a lens easier. And with the increased system resolution as photographer you'll have a tougher job to make use of it.

Doug, thanks for the full res jpeg. Impressive quality!

-Dominique

KETCH ROSSI

Even if it was technically possible (it isn't), you would get a ~40.3x40.3, 60MP crop on a 645 body, which you can do anyway by using SensorFlex...

Yair
Hehe, actually really just hit me with Steve's email, I DON'T NEED IT I HAVE THE V-GRIP..:thumbs::thumbs:

KETCH ROSSI

Yair
Hehe, actually really just hit me with Steve's email, if I do end up going with the Leaf/DF system instead of the Hasssy H4D 60, I DON'T NEED NO ROTATING SENSOR.. I HAVE THE V-GRIP..:thumbs::thumbs: