The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leaf Aptus-II 12 - 80 Mpx!!!

BradleyGibson

Haha--see it's amazing--the same workflow and I couldn't stand it, while you love it! :D

That is a great example of why I skip over 'brand war' threads, because the same set of tools might frustrate some and really please others. I think that's cool.

I'm with you on the Rollei lenses. I can only assume it's the apertures they use, because (for me!) there is *no contest* between the Rolleis and the Hasselblad V or the Hasselblad H when it comes to rendering qualities other than sharpness.

I'm in the market for an AFi-II 10 kit--please let me know if you come across one at a reasonable price. I'm interested in joining you in collecting some more of that Rollei glass. :)

Cheers,
-Brad

Paratom

Funny- this thread seems to have become a "praise the Hy6"-thread. Anyways-I like it. keep it goin. Makes me feel better about having spend so much money in the Hy6 and Rollei lenses. Besides the 110 Zeis the Schneider 50,80 and 180 are not bad either.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Myself i just could never warm up to the Hy6 ergos. My left hand would firmly plant itself on buttons I am NOT supposed to touch. Of course I hear that line when a pretty girl walks by from my wife. LOL

Graham Mitchell

Did Phase get the patents/licences for this camera when they bought Leaf? Hmmmmmm......
It's confusing. One reliable source stated long ago that Kodak was left holding the rights, but in this recent BJP article, the Director of DHW Fototechnik had some interesting things to say:

But, Hartje tells BJP that his company is continuing the production of the Hy6. “When a camera such as this one comes onto the market, you have to look at the feedback and often redesign parts of it depending on that feedback,” he says. “Nobody took care of that in the past. When we decided that we would continue to produce the Hy6, we made an analysis of the camera body to see what we could change. Now, I’m convinced that the product is excellent and still has a chance as a hybrid camera.”

The Hy6 can accept both digital and analog backs from a wide variety of manufacturers – such as Sinar, Leaf and others.

The new Hy6 as redesigned by DHW Fototechnik looks like its predecessor and provides the same quality of images, but, says Hartje, “we’ve changed what’s inside. And, we have stock, so there is no waiting list – we know how many pieces we can sell each year and produce them accordingly.”

One year on, DHW Fototechnik is thriving. “At Photokina, we’ve received a lot of orders, more than expected – which shows that we were right in our decision to continue production.” However, the company still needs to gain a profile equivalent to that of its predecessor. Franke & Heidecke had a long history of involvement with photography, and while DHW Fototechnik is, on paper, Franke & Heidecke, it still needs to reach the end users – which it intends to do mostly by itself.
Article here: http://www.bjp-online.com/british-j.../franke-heideckes-ashes-rises-dhw-fototechnik

archivue

i will be interesting to see how a 80MP back performs with Hasselblad V lenses, such as 50 CFi, 100CFe, 180 CFi and even 120 CFi Macro...

and what about long exposure with this back compare to P45+ ?

Tim Ernst

Leaf backs are limited to 32 seconds or thereabouts while the P45+ can do an hour (although it is a noisy hour). This limited exposure is one reason why it took me so long to give up my beloved P-45+ in favor of the new AP2 12 (on an Alpa tech camera), but I've decided I can live within the 30 second limit, which is pretty much the norm with most backs now, although some of the other Phase backs can do up to a minute or so if conditions are right. Paul with Optechs Digital loaned me an AP2 10 and I've decided that I just love the look of Leaf files vs. the Phase for landscape images so much that the exposure limit is no longer an issue for me (and so far I have not missed the longer exposures anyway).

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
BTW I just did a 1 minute 3 second shot at Mono Lake on the P40+ and looks really good at ISO 50 and my bet is i could have went longer. I would imagine the new sensor can handle that as well

BradleyGibson

Brad, curious what makes you think so. As a Hy6 guy myself I try to keep current on what's happening with it but I may easily have missed something.
Given that neither Jenoptik or Sinar have any rights with the Hy6 any more (source: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=46662.0), the rights lie either with Kodak (former owner of Leaf) or with Phase (the current owner of Leaf). There was credible information circulating that Jenoptik had sold the rights to Kodak, shortly before Phase picked up Leaf's assets.

Of course, it's possible that some eccentric billionaire out of New Zealand owns the camera, but discounting something out of left field, all signs seem to point to Phase quietly taking ownership of this camera as well.

Geoff

Another alternative exists: they are sitting quietly in a drawer at Kodak, with some reluctance to let them go. They could be valuable or valueless, and its hard to put a price tag on that. If this was the case, some time would have to pass before the owner of these rights would realize how limited the value really was or is.

disclaimer: Just conjecture here, no real inside knowledge.

tjv

Of course, it's possible that some eccentric billionaire out of New Zealand owns the camera, but discounting something out of left field, all signs seem to point to Phase quietly taking ownership of this camera as well.
Not sure we have any billionaires here in NZ. In any event, if we did, he / she would probably be living a quiet suburb and driving an old Ford Cortina bought second hand in 1979, not dabbling in photography. ;)