The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

LINHOF 3D MICRO "CUBE"

etrigan63

Speaking the "Cube", Korean Photo Accessory maker Photoclam (where do they get these names?) will be at PhotoPlus. They also make a "Cube" precision levelling head called the Multiflex.

Y Sol

My local dealer asked Linhof: price in Germany will be EUR 798,- + VAT
They couldn't tell at what time it will be on the market.

rhsu

That IS a very very good price! ... and knowing Linhof built and quality. Thanks for that info!

rmueller

Hi,

I had the chance to try it at photokina yesterday. It is very light and well made, I can confirm the price is around 800 Euro.

One thing though: They sell this beast as a leveling head, the adjustments are fairly limited with 12 degrees in each dimension. If you can live with that it is a "cheap" and nice piece of gear, if you need more the Cube is unrivaled.

Regards,
Ralf

rhsu

This explains why it "looks" smallist/slimish due to 12 deg swing both ways, thus justifiably called as "levelling", which is basically what is these tool is required to do - "to level" things. At least the price is on the same playing field with the MultiFlex (which has greater swing).

etrigan63

I looked at Wayne's Levelhead and while it only has 10 degrees of movement per axis, it is priced right and is made in the USA.

rhsu

Having received more feedbacks (and those returning from Cologne) who have touched and played with the Linhof version, it is sounding promising. Had a look at Wayne's version - certainly clever.

Regarding "copyright", since there is no worldwide patent protection, in order to protect "copies", one need to take out patent in each and every country. I see patent taken out in the USA and EU. But other than that, any attempts to import into those countries will be in breach or anyone attempting to sell one within those countries will be in breach. Without reading the full details of the patent application and to what extent the patent has been granted to what details of the application, it leaves open the question whether there has been a "breach". Cube was built upon an existing patent but was allowed patent to be taken out in US because it was "significantly different" without breaching an earlier patent taken out on the concept (copyright) - (which I believed a brief but clear discussions have been made on LL towards the end of 2009).

But I understand your principle - and highly commendable. All that said, a 12 degree vs 25 degree? (Cube) is surely not a "breach".

asf

Wayne's Levelhead is a separate, mostly unrelated thing. If you want to know more about the origins of the cube, he has some interesting things to say about it.

rhsu

FYI - some light reading:

This is a public PDF doc from the US Patent application No: 09/420288 search I managed to come up with for C1 Cube. I cannot find anything on Linhof 3D unless the respective PRs can enlightened us with any moral integrity of any breaches ("copy").

Hope this is the right one.

Happy reading - this is how we write!

jotloob

Subscriber Member
FYI - some light reading:

This is a public PDF doc from the US Patent application No: 09/420288 search I managed to come up with for C1 Cube. I cannot find anything on Linhof 3D unless the respective PRs can enlightened us with any moral integrity of any breaches ("copy").

Hope this is the right one.

Happy reading - this is how we write!
The MULTIFLEX is definately a plagiat .
Their "CUBE" is all the same , except for the knobs and the mounting plate .
But mechanically it is a 100% copy .
I do hate plagiators . Just my 2 cents .

rhsu

... Just my 2 cents .
The UK original version "my two pennies worth" is derived from the much older 16th Century British expression. So in today's value, your "2 cents" is a well respected and valued wisdom worth! :salute: