The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad - Phocus and firmware ideas

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
For those of you with contacts to Hassy on the Phocus software, requesting modifications.

Another dumb question, is how do you save the RAW file adjustments that you have worked on so that you can create a different version later. (As in the .XMP side cars with LightRoom, Aperture Library storage, or the separate folder of information which Capture One leaves in the working folder) The only thing that I find is to hit "save adjustments" on each and every file, which is a major pain in the A$$. That is like Capture NX for Nikon which is one of the reasons that I did not like the software. The Aperture or Capture One approach of saving all of this automatically is much preferred.

I am really trying to make the entire workflow including software part of my decision and learn what Phocus can do quickly. I am rather familiar with Capture One and Aperture, but completely new to Phocus.

Thanks,

Ray
Ray - I share your pain on learning yet another complex piece of software. Let's think of this thread as Phocus questions and tips, as well as suggestions for change.

In partial answer to your "save" question if you go to the "preferences" menu you'll see that there is a "save adjustments" option that you can set to "always save" - this will make Phocus behave more the way you want it to. It would be nice if Phocus would let you create a virtual copy of a file and make different adjustments on it(as you can in Lightroom).

Here is another idea for Hasselblad: Would it be possible to make keyboard shortcuts user customizable (as they are in Photoshop). I'm really struggling learning another set of keyboard shortcuts (on top of Photoshop and Lightroom) - this would be a real timesaver for me.

harmsr

Workshop Member
Woody,

Thank you very much, that does help. Phocus is new to me, and yes I really hate learning another software package. Thank you for understanding if I have taken the thread a little OT here trying to learn as well as make suggestions.

Marc,

I have normally done all of my sorting or initial selection in what is now Microsoft Expressions Media (IView) or Photo Mechanic to get the first short list of what I bring into the real processing programs. With the Hassy files, I can still do this in Photo Mechanic.

Thanks for the continuing help guys.

I'm asking so many questions, because I'm leaning toward the Hassy system.

Best,

Ray

Steve Hendrix

For those of you with contacts to Hassy on the Phocus software, requesting modifications.

Another dumb question, is how do you save the RAW file adjustments that you have worked on so that you can create a different version later. (As in the .XMP side cars with LightRoom, Aperture Library storage, or the separate folder of information which Capture One leaves in the working folder) The only thing that I find is to hit "save adjustments" on each and every file, which is a major pain in the A$$. That is like Capture NX for Nikon which is one of the reasons that I did not like the software. The Aperture or Capture One approach of saving all of this automatically is much preferred.

I am really trying to make the entire workflow including software part of my decision and learn what Phocus can do quickly. I am rather familiar with Capture One and Aperture, but completely new to Phocus.

Thanks,

Ray
Ray:

It's even better than you think. You never have to keep up with any adjustments files/folders with Phocus. Wherever the raw file goes, all the adjustments you have ever made automatically go with that file, and in fact, are part of that file, in the form of a very compressed little instruction tag. YOu never have to keep up with any adjustment files/folders with Phocus.

The entire history of every saved adjustment you've ever made is revealed in the "embedded" tab in the "adjustment browser" of the "adjust" tab. And to repeat - you never have to keep up with anything, only the raw file itself.

Also - Woody, you can change keyboard shortcuts in the Mac OS (not sure about Windows), but a far easier way to do it, is with the (Mac-based) program called Menu Master (at www.unsanity.com). This program allows you to simply pull down a menu, and select the command in the menu, then set the keyboard shortcut. I use it all the time with many programs.

And while we're on the subject of customization - you do know that you can simply grab any tool in the tool section (right side of the screen with the capture, browse, adjust, export tabs) and drag it the left to get rid of it. You can also grab it and move it up and down to sort the order in a given tab. And you can also have any tool in any of the 4 tabs moved to any tab you want - even the same tool duplicated in multiple tabs.

Steve Hendrix
www.ppratlanta.com/digital.php

Stuart Richardson

Just a quick question -- is anyone using Phocus for scanning? I use a 646, and I have not changed to Phocus yet. I am pretty familiar with flex-color, so I am not sure whether it would be worth changing. Does Phocus offer all the same scanning features (or add any?), or does it really only make a difference for the digital backs?

Arjuna

I don't believe that Phocus works for scanning: my dealer told me that FlexColor will continue as the scanning software, while Phocus will be for the digital backs/cameras.

fotografz

Just a quick question -- is anyone using Phocus for scanning? I use a 646, and I have not changed to Phocus yet. I am pretty familiar with flex-color, so I am not sure whether it would be worth changing. Does Phocus offer all the same scanning features (or add any?), or does it really only make a difference for the digital backs?
Right now, Phocus does not support the scanners ... and as far as I can tell, there is no plan to include them. I've forwarded the question to Nick T. who was kind enough to try and find out future plans. TBD.

harmsr

Workshop Member
Steve,

Now that Woody told me about the automatic saving of the adjustments in the preference pane, I'm happy. Yes, that is a nice option.

As I said, I'm learning the software and appreciate everyone's help.

Thanks,

Ray

fotografz

Steve,

Now that Woody told me about the automatic saving of the adjustments in the preference pane, I'm happy. Yes, that is a nice option.

As I said, I'm learning the software and appreciate everyone's help.

Thanks,

Ray
That's wierd, I thought that was the default setting. Hmmmm ...