The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad CFV-50

bensonga

Likely to be the same sensor as on the H4D-50?

I wish they would wake up and give the V-System users the back they REALLY want....one with a 40+ megapixel full frame square sensor.

Gary

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I'm a little worried about the V handling a 50 mpx back. I shot the V for years and for film it was great but digital is much tougher on the glass and not all the V glass was great from memory. I know a couple lenses would be good but have to be careful here I think on your choices at least this is what I am thinking. Does anyone have some input to this

Uaiomex

And still no provisions to rotate back or sensor. This time I will keep my thoughts about what I think of these guys. Today, I'm going to sweat chlorohidric acid!
Eduardo

bensonga

I know I'm beating a dead horse, but really, a 40 megapixel, 9 micron, full frame square sensor is what I think V-System users really want (and for most of us, it exceeds our needs). The CFV-39 was a nice step up in resolution and ability to capture wider fields of view vs the CFV-16, but I think very few V-System users were thinking "What I REALLY want is more megapixels".....what they really want is just a big, square sensor.

Re the V-System Zeiss glass on high res digital.....how well does it perform on a CFV-39, for those lucky enough to use one? Any comments Jurgen?

Would a 9 micron vs smaller photosite size have any impact on whether these Zeiss lenses could handle higher resolutions sensors?

Gary

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Gary I know when I went from a 9 micron to 6.8 Micron it was a little tougher on the lenses as well as the 6 now. So as they keep dropping the microns at some point you have to wonder if the old V lenses will handle it okay. I'm sure it will but some of them I remember being just okay even with film.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
I know I'm beating a dead horse, but really, a 40 megapixel, 9 micron, full frame square sensor is what I think V-System users really want (and for most of us, it exceeds our needs). The CFV-39 was a nice step up in resolution and ability to capture wider fields of view vs the CFV-16, but I think very few V-System users were thinking "What I REALLY want is more megapixels".....what they really want is just a big, square sensor.

Re the V-System Zeiss glass on high res digital.....how well does it perform on a CFV-39, for those lucky enough to use one? Any comments Jurgen?

Would a 9 micron vs smaller photosite size have any impact on whether these Zeiss lenses could handle higher resolutions sensors?

Gary
Hello Gary

I have used the CFV-39 with all lenses from 40-250mm and must say , all results are very , very good and with the DISTAGON T 4/40 IF/CFE just outstanding .
Using the CFV-39 with the BIOGON lens (any SWC model) is not recommended and does not show satisfactory results outside the square crop . Details about that topic have been discussed in an other thread .
I have no experience with CZ lenses and a digital back with a 6 micron pixel sensor .
I am curious to see the first results from the CFV-50 and CZ lenses .

jotloob

Subscriber Member
And still no provisions to rotate back or sensor. This time I will keep my thoughts about what I think of these guys. Today, I'm going to sweat chlorohidric acid!
Eduardo
Sorry Eduardo

Again no bigger square sensor , as I thought .
I know , many of us would like that very much , but I do doubt that this will ever happen .

Best regards

archivue

Sorry Eduardo

Again no bigger square sensor , as I thought .
I know , many of us would like that very much , but I do doubt that this will ever happen .

Best regards
few years ago, when hasselblad wanted us to put our V bodies on a bin to buy a H1... i would have say : " a 50 MP back without cable for V bodies will never happen'...

till this time i'v upgrade my 500CM to a 503CW and bought lenses : 50 Cfi, 80CB, 100 Cfi... my rodenstock lenses are a little bit sharper, but the zeiss lenses have something special... more life in the colors... nothing scinetific, just impressions... but i am only using an aptus 22 with it !

bensonga

Again no bigger square sensor....<snip>...I do doubt that this will ever happen.
That's what has been so frustrating. I can't fault Hasselbald entirely for this, since they don't make the sensors....but even so, they built an entire brand on the allure of a square image (and yes, precision mechanics and optics too). Now, for them to seemingly ignore this important element and attempt to re-direct their loyal customers to a different format, well, it's just very disheartening.

I'll keep my CFV-16 and collection of Hasselblad cameras and lenses.....but it could have been so much better, if only someone at Hasselblad had the determination to push this forward.

Bottom line, for me, no matter how good the CFV-50 is, this announcement was a major disappointment. Just one more lost opportunity. Still hard for me to accept that the CFV-16 is the end of the line.

But, I should give Hasselblad some credit.....at least they haven't completely abandoned the V-system owners in the way Leica abandoned the R-system owners.

Gary

Last edited:

Nick-T

Hasselblad are ENTIRELY in the hands of the chip manufacturers who are not going to make a 56mm square chip that will only be supported on one platform. I shot V system for years and loved it but it's time has passed and NO ONE is going to spend millions in R&D on a chip for this system only. Hasselblad is not the bad guy here.

Nick-T

fotografz

I agree with Nick ... can't design a back around what doesn't exist.

50 meg will put more data into the square crop over the 39 which is still an option in Phocus ... and mitigate Moiré better.

Good for Hassey for keeping digital options open to V lovers.

-Marc

archivue

Hasselblad are ENTIRELY in the hands of the chip manufacturers who are not going to make a 56mm square chip that will only be supported on one platform...

it would fit alpa, arca, cambo, linhof, sinar, RZ as well !

Last edited:

archivue

Hasselblad are ENTIRELY in the hands of the chip manufacturers who are not going to make a 56mm square chip that will only be supported on one platform...

it would fit alpa, arca, cambo, linhof as well !