The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pentax 645D goes global in December

Terry

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1009/10092318pentax645davailbility.asp

Photokina 2010: Pentax has announced its 645D medium format digital camera will start shipping globally from December 2010. The camera will sell at a retail price of $9999.99 for the body in the US. In the UK, it will be priced at £9000 for the body and £10000 for the kit with the DFA 55mm 645 SDM lens. The first digital version of the company's 645 medium format camera system, it features a 40MP, 44 x 33mm CCD sensor, 921k dot 3.0" LCD and is compatible with the existing 645 system lenses.

David K

Workshop Member
Looking forward to seeing more images from this camera. The price point is very attractive... especially for the features it offers.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I expect to see a lot of Nikon/Canon shooters moving up since nothing BIG was announced in there camps. Good timing for Pentax

paulmoore

I expect to see a lot of Nikon/Canon shooters moving up since nothing BIG was announced in there camps. Good timing for Pentax
I expect also those still with 22mp mfdb may be looking at this as well.
with higher iso, higher mpx count..and better autofocus, this could get market share from both ends..pro + amateur alike..
"leica taste on a pentax budget" syndrome may fit a big group and sell a bunch of systems.

JSK Rangefinder

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1009/10092318pentax645davailbility.asp

Photokina 2010: Pentax has announced its 645D medium format digital camera will start shipping globally from December 2010. The camera will sell at a retail price of $9999.99 for the body in the US. In the UK, it will be priced at £9000 for the body and £10000 for the kit with the DFA 55mm 645 SDM lens. The first digital version of the company's 645 medium format camera system, it features a 40MP, 44 x 33mm CCD sensor, 921k dot 3.0" LCD and is compatible with the existing 645 system lenses.
Terry, I still think that price is a little high considering they don't have established digital MF confidence/customers.. for that price, I see more people going Phase/Leaf/Hassy even if they have to pay a bit more because of the resale value and established network etc.. I was expecting Pentax to go as far as 7999.99 near DSLR price range and at later date once they establish customer base they can boost their prices if they feel they need or have to..

Terry

I'm pretty sure it is the same sensor as the P40+ which is more than double the price at which this is coming to market.

Guy Mancuso

It's not a P40+ sensor the Pentax is a Kodak chip and rated at 11.5 stops of DR . The Phase is 12.5 and is Dalsa. It is a 6 micron though

The PENTAX 645D incorporates a high-performance CCD image sensor produced by Kodak. Which more in line with the S2 and Hassy 40 which also use Kodak in this size

A

Alexander DeVoe

Crap. I now have to decide between this thing or the New H4D-31.

Hard to do when you cant get your hands on the Pentax to try it. I'm thinking that would be a pretty big leap of faith for me to take. (I need the camera before I go abroad for 6 months in February 2011).

Tough, tough, tough.

Any thoughts on the differences between these two, anyone?

-Alex

Guy Mancuso

If it was ME and given I need everything as a system in place than in this case between the two go Hassy even though it IS a older generation sensor it is and was a workhorse for a long time. I had the P31+ which is the same and it was a good back. But I'm not your normal buyer either I buy SYSTEMS not camera's if you know what I mean. I want everything in place including software and support. So tough call for hobbyists because the Pentax looks nice and has the newer sensors but like the S2 it needs to age some. Only one dedicated lens today but obviously you can use the older 6x7 glass.

Here you need to sit down and do the Pro's and Con's on each system and figure out what works best for you and also since this is entry level what about upgrades and such. Sorry I have to be the logical one on this stuff but it takes thought and hate to see people make mistakes. Not that the Pentax is a mistake by any stretch it's new and what is the future on it and down the road firmware, lenses, support which at the moment is all unknown.

Have a correction here you can also use the Pentax 645 lenses as well

Mozbee

In the entry level category, you may potentially add the P30+ if the new price is aggressive. The choice might be even tougher!

Guy, assuming a good price on the P30+, how would view the P30+ vs H4D-31? Would it be fair to say, that it's probably just a matter of P1 vs Hassy system for these those cameras that are probably more on par than different?

A

Alexander DeVoe

Guy-

That is exactly the things I have been thinking about. The older lenses scare me a little (not sure why... I just would rather KNOW I am getting quality glass like the Hasse system). I also worry about the ergonomics of the cam. I loved the H4D. I didn't like the Phase DF at all. Why? Just the way they hit my hands. No way to know that unless you hold the camera, you know?

I guess the only way to do this properly is to hope that they get them over here ASAP in December. I could theoretically test one and buy before I would be leaving in late January or early February.

The age of the Hasse sensor doesn't scare me... It is WAY more than I have now, and would be plenty for anything I see myself doing for quite some time. Not to mention there's no way I could afford a new 40mp back/system (outside the Pentax).

All I know, is that the price is right on both systems, and on paper they both fit my needs. Only reason I hesitate on the Pentax is simply the newness of it.

A

Alexander DeVoe

In the entry level category, you may potentially add the P30+ if the new price is aggressive. The choice might be even tougher!

Guy, assuming a good price on the P30+, how would view the P30+ vs H4D-31? Would it be fair to say, that it's probably just a matter of P1 vs Hassy system for these those cameras that are probably more on par than different?
For me, the files looked quite similar between the H3DII-31 (supposedly the H4D-31 is the same back...) and the P30+. Same sensor so they are pretty close, but they are handled a little differently. Longer exposure maximums on the P30+, but I personally like the Hasse glass/body better. Try them. Best way to find out between the two. For every Hasse fan, you'll find a Phase fan. All about the feel and which system you want to buy into (All this is just in my opinion - correct me if I'm off!).

symbolphoto

For me, the Hassy system, including Phocus is a great tool to have in your corner. From start to finish i'm very happy with my H3DII-31. The lenses, including the 35-90 are just phenomenal. And lenses can be picked up on the used market anywhere from 1/2 to 2/3rd retail price. Not bad.

Schmiddi

It's announced to come to Germany in January 2011, 10.000€ for body only and 11.000€ with 55mm lens (prices should include 19% VAT, but I'm not sure about this). A good friend might have one for a test then, so I will have the chance to compare it to my AFI-II 7 (and also Sony A900). But first I have to learn working with the AFI (have it for some 2 weeks now - and really love this beast :D)...

Andreas

Guy Mancuso

Try to answer a few questions here . The P30+ and H 31 share the same Kodak 6.8 sensor both have micro lenses. So technical they are pretty much the same coming from Kodak. The difference will be the software C1 with the P30+ you can go to ISO 1600 and yes it is pretty good. Obviously ISO 800 is better. Hassy at one time with Phocus the H31 was rated at ISO 800 but I think there was a Phocus update that you can get 1600. Not sure about this and I know a Hassy person will step to the plate here and confirm that.

So with both these backs they are basically the same . Now a used P30+ back is around 8500 plus a AFDII and your in for 10K or so. The difference as we know the back and body are mated to each other with Hassy so you just can't buy a used H31 back. Now you could buy a used H3/31 used also and I would imagine around the same or a little less. The difference here is they are using the 31 back but mating it to the upgraded H4 body and selling that new for whatever was posted or announced. So you get the old and that is a bad word but older generation back with a new body to go with it.

So in this sensor you have a few ways to go. P30+, AFD/AFDII/AFDIII or DF
H31 used with H3D body or H4D H31 new. I am pretty sure the H3 body you can only get used. If I am wrong I will get corrected and I hope so. Hate bad data so someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Now back to the Pentax it is sharing the same basic Kodak sensor as the S2, H40 and H50. obviously different sizes and some with micro lenses . I think the 50 is the exception on micro lenses. Phase products along with Leaf in the new breed are all Dalsa being the P40 and P65 with no micro lenses.

Remember also micro lenses and tech cams don't blend well so if that is a option down the road buy without the micro lenses because of color casts and also Dalsa seems to be better than Kodak on color casts at least in the Phase products I have used.

Hope I got that all correct. As you know and what we drill here on this forum is find what feels good in your hand and what works for you both in ergos, system and don't forget software which is more important than folks think. End of day any one of these sensors and combinations with body will produce excellent files.

Damn forgot to add the Leica S2 here and that is also a Kodak sensor 6 micron of the same new breed rated at 37mpx and also uses micro lenses as well. Given this and the Pentax are from the same cloth of integrated body and sensor and more 35mm DSLR style of ergos.

Guy Mancuso

I did forget something the P30+ can do LONG exposures rated to 1 hour . I have done 35 minutes myself. I think Hassy is rated much less. Can't find the answer at the moment. Help LOL

It does get confusing