The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

APO-Digitar 5,6/60 | 120mm IC

thomas

Not sure it has been mentioned before...
Schneider just introduced a new APO-Digitar 5,6/60 with 120mm image circle.

google translation:
The APO-Digitar is a new design with a focal length of 60 mm. It was designed for studio photographers who need a standard lens with normal color perception and large Verstellreserven for compensation or for shifts in perspective. The very large image circle of 120 mm can be generous adjustments of apochromatic corrected to 8-lens double-Gauss lens. Recent process and production technologies enable the mass production image quality in a previously unknown quality.

http://www.pressebox.de/pressemeldungen/jos-schneider-optische-werke-gmbh/boxid/374504

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Yes, Alpa had it listed in the News section with the release of all their new products. They list it as: Schneider Apo-Digitar 5.6/60 mm XL - Schneider ALPA Apo-Helvetar 5.6/60 mm. 120mm image circle is intriguing.

narikin

would be good to have an MTF chart from Schneider on this so one can compare it to the Rodenstocks, and see what is traded off in resolution to get that image circle. There is nothing on their site as yet.

with the new ~5 micron pixel backs appearing, it may be that a Digaron-S is one of the few lenses to do justice to their potential.

archivue

if you intend to shoot @ F11 and need a large image cicrcle , then the sironar digital 55 is quite good for the price... that new lens, should be much better at larger aperture indeed !

narikin

Connected with this discussion is the fact that the new ~5micron pitch pixels we are seeing emerging with the 80Mp sensors, puts quite a lot of demands on these lenses.

The Digitar-S range is the only one by Rodenstock that can really live up to such ultra high resolution backs <6um. That range had fallen out of favor, with the Digaron-W's coming more to the fore, for stitching, but I expect them to re-emerge to a certain degree.

I have the 60mm Digaron-S (for Alpa) and it not only has stunning resolution, but also has zero Longitudinal Chromatic Aberration. No out of focus areas with red/green color fringes! It is also a great walk-around lens as its light and fast-ish at f4.0.

I am tempted to try the new Schneider 60mm f/5.6 offering, but will need to see charts of its resolutions and aberations first.

f8orbust

Does anyone know the price of this lens in a Cambo T/S mount? The lens itself is listed around the $3k mark, and Cambo usually charge $1.3k for retrofitting in a T/S mount ... so that should make it around the $4.3k mark...right?

dick

Does anyone know the price of this lens in a Cambo T/S mount? The lens itself is listed around the $3k mark, and Cambo usually charge $1.3k for retrofitting in a T/S mount ... so that should make it around the $4.3k mark...right?
That really make Sinars seem cost-effective ...even if you buy them new!

Does that mounting cost include the cost of a shutter?

f8orbust

Wow...you're effectively paying $2k for the mount if you buy the lens pre-mounted (I'm assuming that is the price for the more expensive T/S mount - if not, add another $500).

It does include the cost of a shutter...but $5k is still about $700 more than buying the lens and sending it to Cambo to be mounted...which doesn't make any sense to me...unless this is the profit for the retailer (of the mounted lens)?

Last edited:

Terry

I had this lens on order since December (before Copal shutters went up in price) and I was going to use it with my P40+ in conjunction with my 35mm Schneider. This past week I finally gave up and decided to just get the 43mm to use on the IQ180 (sold 35mm).

The pricing above seems a bit high for Cambo mount unless they increased the price of the lens even before it's been released.

This lens has been REALLLLLLY slow to make it to market now in at least the seventh month since Photokina.

cng

The pricing above seems a bit high for Cambo mount unless they increased the price of the lens even before it's been released.
I was told by my dealer last week that Cambo has recently increased their prices. This may explain the discrepancy?

f8orbust

I was told by my dealer last week that Cambo has recently increased their prices. This may explain the discrepancy?
That's a shame. One of the attractions of Cambo was that its products were pitched at a price point below Alpa and Arca.

That said, maybe Alpa and Arca will put their prices up as well :(.

lance_schad

Workshop Member
At LL a few days ago Lance Schad of Digital Transitions mentioned USD$5099 for this lens in standard Cambo mount. No firm delivery date yet.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=53301.0
Just got an updated price list from Cambo today and the Retail Price of the 60mm Digitar in Cambo plate is $5099 and t/s version has a Retail Price of $6425.

As always I suggest working with your preferred reseller for pricing and current availabilty.

Lance

f8orbust

Just got an updated price list from Cambo today and the Retail Price of the 60mm Digitar in Cambo plate is $5099 and t/s version has a Retail Price of $6425.

As always I suggest working with your preferred reseller for pricing and current availabilty.

Lance
*Sound of me falling off chair*

$6425 for the T/S version...crikey...when I had my 72mm mounted the price difference was about $500 between the standard mount and the T/S one, now for the 60mm it's a whopping great $1326. Unbelievable - a lens that is even more expensive than the Alpa equivalent ;).

So...hang on...where's the abacus...quick calculation...this makes the cost of the T/S mount itself (for this lens) $3366...that's even more expensive than the lens itself (with all the precision ground glass elements, finely machined parts and copal shutter)...quite simply...staggering.

Now, if you buy this lens and then send it to Cambo to be mounted in a T/S mount, it should cost in the region of $4.4k all in - i.e. $2k less than if, er, Cambo buy the lens (for less than you or I), mount it and sell it to us via a retailer. Other than convenience, I just don't see why anyone would pay the extra $2k.

Steve Hendrix

Wow...you're effectively paying $2k for the mount if you buy the lens pre-mounted (I'm assuming that is the price for the more expensive T/S mount - if not, add another $500).

It does include the cost of a shutter...but $5k is still about $700 more than buying the lens and sending it to Cambo to be mounted...which doesn't make any sense to me...unless this is the profit for the retailer (of the mounted lens)?

Not the case. You're forgetting the cost of the helical focusing mount, then the tilt/shift lens panel, which comes out to roughly $1,800 or so. The addition of the T/S to the panel has always been (roughly) $1,200 - $1,400. If you can purchase a Schneider 60mm for $3,000, then it might make sense to do so.

In fact, this could be a case of conversion rates gone sour because several lenses come out better this way currently - less expensive to buy a Schneider then have a Cambo dealer mount it, as opposed to buying the whole lens and panel from a Cambo dealer.

Steve Hendrix

Steve Hendrix

Steve Hendrix

That's a shame. One of the attractions of Cambo was that its products were pitched at a price point below Alpa and Arca.

That said, maybe Alpa and Arca will put their prices up as well :(.

As has been noted, pricing across the board has gone up due to the Copal Shutter agreement and price increase (doubling of the shutter price to manufacturers).

Generally, Arca Swiss will have the lowest lens pricing because their helical focusing mount is on the body (as is the tilt mechanism), rather than a complete helical focusing system for each lens. So if you're buying three or more normal lenses, or at least two tilt/swing lenses, the pricing of the Arca Swiss and Cambo systems overall will in fact be very comparable. If you're only buying a body and one lens (what's the fun in that? :)), the Cambo will be less expensive.

Steve Hendrix

Steve Hendrix

cng

In fact, this could be a case of conversion rates gone sour because several lenses come out better this way currently - less expensive to buy a Schneider then have a Cambo dealer mount it, as opposed to buying the whole lens and panel from a Cambo dealer.
Surely the multiple shipping and insurance fees involved in sending a lens back and forth would go some way in absorbing any potential savings. Not to mention taxes/duties and potential hassles with Customs.

And what happens if there is a problem with the lens? Do you send it back to the retailer you purchased the lens from or Cambo? How do you establish whether the problem existed before or after being mounted?

The convenience factor is not merely that you get a mounted lens in one step from a Cambo dealer. It's also the convenience of having one port of call to deal with if anything goes wrong. I'd personally much rather let my local dealer thrash out any issues on my behalf with Cambo, rather than juggling multiple suppliers and warranties by myself. Consider it a form of insurance.

Generally, Arca Swiss will have the lowest lens pricing because their helical focusing mount is on the body (as is the tilt mechanism), rather than a complete helical focusing system for each lens.
A further complicating factor is that Arca is not well represented in some countries, not to mention their long lead times and lack of communication. This was a factor in my decision when I was deciding on Alpa/Arca/Cambo/Sinar. As always, a good dealer is imperative, especially one with a decent working relationship with the manufacturer (whoever it may be).

f8orbust

Not the case. You're forgetting the cost of the helical focusing mount, then the tilt/shift lens panel, which comes out to roughly $1,800 or so. The addition of the T/S to the panel has always been (roughly) $1,200 - $1,400. If you can purchase a Schneider 60mm for $3,000, then it might make sense to do so.

Steve Hendrix

Steve Hendrix
Just checking my factoids here. When I got my 72mm retrofitted in late 2009, in a standard lens panel, the price was $900. From memory, I believe the price I was quoted for a T/S panel was $1295. I never thought that this was $1295 in addition to the $900, rather it was one or the other - i.e. making the addition of the T/S mechanism somewhere around the $400 mark (since whether you mount the lens in a standard or T/S panel you're still paying for a helical). I stand corrected if I misunderstood the pricing structure.

Just out of curiosity then, does this mean that if I wanted to get my 72mm converted to a T/S panel I would pay for the addition of a T/S mechanism or for a new panel + T/S mechanism (since I assume the panel is slightly shorter to accommodate the added depth of the T/S mechanism)?

Buying the Schneider 60mm with Copal 0 shutter for $3k (once released) can be done here for example.

Last edited:

Steve Hendrix

Surely the multiple shipping and insurance fees involved in sending a lens back and forth would go some way in absorbing any potential savings. Not to mention taxes/duties and potential hassles with Customs.

And what happens if there is a problem with the lens? Do you send it back to the retailer you purchased the lens from or Cambo? How do you establish whether the problem existed before or after being mounted?

The convenience factor is not merely that you get a mounted lens in one step from a Cambo dealer. It's also the convenience of having one port of call to deal with if anything goes wrong. I'd personally much rather let my local dealer thrash out any issues on my behalf with Cambo, rather than juggling multiple suppliers and warranties by myself. Consider it a form of insurance.

A further complicating factor is that Arca is not well represented in some countries, not to mention their long lead times and lack of communication. This was a factor in my decision when I was deciding on Alpa/Arca/Cambo/Sinar. As always, a good dealer is imperative, especially one with a decent working relationship with the manufacturer (whoever it may be).

In either case, a good dealer could still be the sole supplier, whether you ordered the lens in the lenspanel or if you first purchased the lens, then ordered it to be mounted.

Steve Hendrix