The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Gone Fishing with the Pentax 645D

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Better fishing with the new PENTAX than diving .
But perhaps , that will be possible as well :bugeyes:

etrigan63

Fishing, meh.

The abuse heaped upon the 645D: impressive! Did he actually fall into the water packing the 645D?

tjv

I like the look of this camera, and appreciate how well build it seems to be. I'd really love to try one, or at the very least play with some real world RAW files to see what it can do. Pentax seems to have a real winner on their hands.

Paratom

good movie and I find the new Pentax really interesting. With the weather sealing, fast? AF with multi sensors and (for MF) reasonable price/size/weight.

David Schneider

Camera has features that should have been in mf cameras a long time ago.

But I wouldn't buy a used camera from this guy, weather sealed or not. Talk about hard on equipment.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Looks to me that the Pelican cases hit the water, not a camera over the shoulder. I don't care how "weather sealed" your camera is, it most likely wouldn't survive a full dunk in the river.

Aside the lack of a removable back, the Pentax does look like a pretty decent system. The film generation medium format N's were definitely very fine systems. I wonder how many Pentax users of the past have sold off all of their MF gear and switched systems by now? There's a lot of good glass out there somewhere.

bensonga

A mildly entertaining video, although I cringed to see him waving that 645D around like that, without a hand strap of some sort. Beautiful scenery, I wonder where it was shot? I haven't been fly fishing for years, but just being outdoors in a beautiful place like that was half the fun.

I'm one of those Pentax MF users (both 6x7 and 645 now) who has kept his gear, including a nice collection of 67 and 645 lenses. Now, if I could justify the $10k price of entry for a 645D (without selling off my Hasselblad kit), I would buy one of these in a heartbeat. I hope this is a real winner for Pentax...sure looks like it could be.

Gary

redrockcoulee

Gary

It was probably shot near Kananaskis country,Castle region or between Banff and Calgary (Alberta) as the store is in Calgary and you need to go west from there for trees.

Ivan from three hours east of Calgary where there are even less trees

etrigan63

Looks to me that the Pelican cases hit the water, not a camera over the shoulder. I don't care how "weather sealed" your camera is, it most likely wouldn't survive a full dunk in the river.

Aside the lack of a removable back, the Pentax does look like a pretty decent system. The film generation medium format N's were definitely very fine systems. I wonder how many Pentax users of the past have sold off all of their MF gear and switched systems by now? There's a lot of good glass out there somewhere.
I have to agree. Weather sealed ≠ waterproof.

The lack of a removable back is no that big a deal anymore. Leica's S2 is non removable and Hassy's backs, while removable, are not readily transferrable as they are tightly coupled to the paired body.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I have to agree. Weather sealed ≠ waterproof.

The lack of a removable back is no that big a deal anymore.
Not if you just want a MF DSLR I suppose. If you want to be able to use the back on other types of cameras such as technicals or LF then obviously it is a restriction. It's certainly true that's it's less of a factor these days given the significant reduction of interchangeable system choice today. You might argue also that back performance and resolution upgrades can be tackled without having to buy a whole new camera body if the back is removable.

Btw, I was taught a long time ago to carry my camera on the strap so that the lens faced in towards my body, not stick out in the wind so that the glass can whack any hard object such as trees, walls or door frames. I always cringe when I see folks carrying their camera over the shoulder lens facing out.

etrigan63

Upgrading a Hassy back is not as simple as Phase/Leaf backs. Due to the tight coupling, you end up getting a new body anyway. Applicability to tech/LF systems is a consideration when buying into a system.

bensonga

The guy in the video made a comment about the mirror in the 645D going off after the image was taken (to minimize the effect of mirror vibration no doubt), which to my non-technical mind didn't make sense. It would seem like the mirror would have to flip up out of the way before the sensor was "exposed". Maybe I misunderstood what he was trying to say.

Does anyone know if Pentax has done something different re the reflex mirror system with this camera?

Gary

claudefiddler

Hello

On the Pentax website the specs for the camera have "mirror lock up shooting" http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-medium-format-slr-camera-reviews/93370-pentax-645d.html,. Whatever that means.

I watched the video and thought it was awful. No one in their right mind would treat a camera like that. How do we know the camera wasn't toast after the shoot. Also, the lack of any real demonstration of the camera's capabilities, or image quality made the video a kinda, sort of introduction to the camera. But nothing in depth. A visit to the website provides more info.

Regardless the video if the image quality of the system pans out this will be a great landscape photo tool and will be my next camera.

Claude Fiddler
www.wildernesslight.com

bensonga

Mirror lock up is one thing which most of us are familar with (and which the P67 and P645NII had already, maybe the 645N also), but the guy in the video said the 645D had a mirror system in which "you feel the mirror, but it happens after the exposure". I'm not sure how that would work or if he was correct.

etrigan63

Maybe the mirror moves faster than light so that effect will then precede cause...

That or Pentax has licensed Time Lord technology and is shunting the mirror lock up vibration into the future just after the shot.