The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Why it pays to have a backup ... not for the squimish

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
You know how some days are great, some are good, some are kind of average and then there are those ones you'd jus rather forget? Well, Friday was one of the latter.

Got some nice shots of the sunrise and perfect reflection at Oxbow Bend (Grand Teton NP) this morning. I noticed some dust on the sensor so decided to give it a quick clean and then slipped when putting the back on to the camera ... it turns out that Alpas really ARE solid despite what some would seem to suggest here. :cussing::cussing::cussing::cry::cry:

Don't do this:

It's now off on it's way to Paul @ Optech and then Leaf. Hopefully it's just the cover glass which isn't outrageous to get replaced and essentially refurb'd at Leaf whilst it's there. Paul graciously offered me a loaner Aptus II-10 for the remainder of my Yellowstone/Tetons visit - However, I'm not falling for those wily Jedi mind tricks :ROTFL: because he and I know I'd never want the old back, err, back. ;)

So, the moral of the story is don't be a klutz & whack your sensor against the Mamiya mount hooks and also make sure that you have a spare (back or system with you). Now I have to slum it for next week just shooting with my D3x & D3s which actually isn't a hardship because it'll be mainly nature of the four legged variety.

:lecture:

Don Libby

One word - CRAP!

Hope it's "just" the cover glass.

How much longer are you planning to be in the area? I'll be there starting Oct 4th.

Don

GrahamWelland

Thanks Terry - at the end of the day "stuff happens". Best to be philosophical about it I think. Had it been something like a P65+ then maybe I'd be somewhat more annoyed with myself than I already am. Just a momentary slip but it's not the end of the world although I am back to my DSLRs for the next few weeks I guess.

I'll wager that Leaf are quicker than Leica service ...

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Graham

I am sorry to hear about your bad luck .
Good that you try to take it from the philosophical side .
I do not know , how I would react . May be I would through the back down a canyon :ROTFL: .
We have insurances here to cover a damage like that , but they are more expensive than a car insurance .

I hope , you can still take some good shots with your other gear .

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
My heart sank 20 ft. Damn I am so sorry to see this but it could possible be the cover glass only. Fingers crossed

GrahamWelland

Yes indeed - hopefully if it's just the sensor glass it's about $1500 or so @ Leaf. There's actually a reasonable gap between the sensor glass cover and the chip itself so there's hope that the chip isn't damaged. If it's the sensor then I'll be in the market for a new back I think depending upon the economics of getting it fixed vs replaced.

I was planning on getting another M9. That might be on hold for now.

Last edited: